Where to go...

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Where to go...
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2017 at 6:45 Quote
Howzit

I am from Cape Town South Africa and am heading out to Montreal end of Sept for a work conference.

I been looking at all the trails around montreal and quebec city and have 25th - 29th Sept to explore and find some trails to go ride... I am going to need to hire a bike (unless I have to bring my own) ...

I been looking at:

Bromont
Mont St Anne
Mont Tremblant
vallee bras du nord
sentiers du moulin

There is so much to choose from, in all directions so I want to choose the best area for bang for buck and to get to experience some canadian riding.

I am not into the big DH drops and jumps but more enduro kind of riding, long days out with climbing (we have no lifts here) and fast fun decending. (current Bike SC Hightower with 160mm lyric 29er)

If anyone has any suggestions of the best trails to head to to do a few days riding... guides or group rides would be fun too.

Any thoughts opinion etc appreciated...

shot!

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 18, 2017 at 14:02 Quote
Will you have a vehicle to drive?

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 6:57 Quote
Canadmos wrote:
Will you have a vehicle to drive?

Thats the plan.

Drive out from Montreal.

You got any advice for me?

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 7:48 Quote
Not much...

I've only been to Bromont and Vallee Bras du Nord.

Only ridden DH at Bromont, but you could ride a trail bike down some trails. Some are very gnarly. I guess the only thing about Bromont would be bike rental, not sure if they offer anything other than DH bikes. It is certainly a very fun place to ride, though. And close to Montreal.

I'd say definitely head to Vallee Bras du Nord. Bit of a drive but is well worth it. There are two riding areas here, so I'd say you could spend two days there. The trails are all mapped and marked here. Use the cell phone app called Ondago to navigate, it was more useful than the paper map; but note there is zero cell phone service out in the hills so download it before you go.

Sentiers looks pretty awesome too. Its on the list of places to go.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 18:10 Quote
+1 for vallées bras du Nord.
Just rode Shanahan sector a couple days ago. Lots of climbing to be done, lovely scenery, and some great flow trails, all make it a great place. Inexpensive camping available on site (recommend site 1Cool . However no water or showers at the campsite.

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 18:34 Quote
Come to Quebec City, the riding here is very diverse. Have a look here: https://www.trailforks.com/region/quebec-city-area/
Here are some of the best trails of the region:
Neilson Est
Neilson Nord
Grand Eggen
Toblerone
Léon
LB-Cycle
LBC2
Viking

And there are awesome gnar to be found at Mont-Sainte-Anne with a dh bike. Otherwise, trails like Vietnam, Erabliere, la Yable, Cairn, Avenue Royale and Bouttaboutte are all great.

Can't go wrong with Quebec. PM if you need a guide Wink

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 1:07 Quote
Thanks Man Appreciate the feedback.

As soon as I have booked the flights etc Ill get i touch.

Shot!

zeGG wrote:
Come to Quebec City, the riding here is very diverse. Have a look here: https://www.trailforks.com/region/quebec-city-area/
Here are some of the best trails of the region:
Neilson Est
Neilson Nord
Grand Eggen
Toblerone
Léon
LB-Cycle
LBC2
Viking

And there are awesome gnar to be found at Mont-Sainte-Anne with a dh bike. Otherwise, trails like Vietnam, Erabliere, la Yable, Cairn, Avenue Royale and Bouttaboutte are all great.

Can't go wrong with Quebec. PM if you need a guide Wink

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 1:10 Quote
Thanks for the feedback!

will check it out.

blazekelly wrote:
Just rode Shanahan sector a couple days ago. Lots of climbing to be done, lovely scenery, and some great flow trails, all make it a great place. Inexpensive camping available on site (recommend site 1Cool . However no water or showers at the campsite.

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 1:23 Quote
Thanks for the feedback man... its appreciated!

I'll take all into account below...

Shot!

Canadmos wrote:
Not much...

I've only been to Bromont and Vallee Bras du Nord.

Only ridden DH at Bromont, but you could ride a trail bike down some trails. Some are very gnarly. I guess the only thing about Bromont would be bike rental, not sure if they offer anything other than DH bikes. It is certainly a very fun place to ride, though. And close to Montreal.

I'd say definitely head to Vallee Bras du Nord. Bit of a drive but is well worth it. There are two riding areas here, so I'd say you could spend two days there. The trails are all mapped and marked here. Use the cell phone app called Ondago to navigate, it was more useful than the paper map; but note there is zero cell phone service out in the hills so download it before you go.

Sentiers looks pretty awesome too. Its on the list of places to go.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 5:39 Quote
blazekelly wrote:

Did you ride the new trail?

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 6:28 Quote
I'm not to sure what the new trail is, but I don't think so. (We stuck to a lot of the trail nanes that I recognized from peoples suggestions in the other thread.)However we saw a large group working on a trail so I'm assuming that is the new one.
Do you happen to know where the new trail was planned to be? If I remember correctly the trail we saw them working on was near grand évasion- close to the 'main hub'

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 6:33 Quote
blazekelly wrote:
I'm not to sure what the new trail is, but I don't think so. (We stuck to a lot of the trail nanes that I recognized from peoples suggestions in the other thread.)However we saw a large group working on a trail so I'm assuming that is the new one.
Do you happen to know where the new trail was planned to be? If I remember correctly the trail we saw them working on was near grand évasion- close to the 'main hub'

This trail - https://www.trailforks.com/trails/neilson-est/

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 18:02 Quote
No we definitely did not do that trail. We didn't do anything Nielson, kind of a shame but we only had 1 day on bikes and thought the Neilson route may be to much.
For OP, I rented bikes and they were $80 a day for full suspension rocky Mountain thunderbolts, or $50 for the Rocky Mountain mid fattie hardtail.

-Just noticed the smiley face in my last message. It was supposed to say *campsite 18

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 20:25 Quote
blazekelly wrote:
No we definitely did not do that trail. We didn't do anything Nielson, kind of a shame but we only had 1 day on bikes and thought the Neilson route may be to much.
For OP, I rented bikes and they were $80 a day for full suspension rocky Mountain thunderbolts, or $50 for the Rocky Mountain mid fattie hardtail.

-Just noticed the smiley face in my last message. It was supposed to say *campsite 18

If you didn't do Neilson, you definitely have valid reason to go back.

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 at 10:02 Quote
Neilson trail is a must! I'm a huge fan. Literally wearing a Neilson shirt right now go figure. I didn't get to do the new part as it was closed when I went. Hoping to go back this summer and try it out.

OP your list of spots is great. Bromont is pretty legit DH though. There are smaller places around Montreal too you could enjoy for a half day. Oka, Chanteclerc, Rigaud are fun close spots. Keep active in this thread, maybe some of us could come ride with you!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010147
Mobile Version of Website