Other Bobsled like trails in 100 km from Vancouver?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Other Bobsled like trails in 100 km from Vancouver?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 8:54 Quote
Hi everyone,

Fifty-seven year old noob to mountain biking. Have a Haibike eMTB with 150 front, 120 rear. Can handle Bobsled, and as of yesterday Half Nelson up in Squamish That's about as radical as I like it right now. Would love to find other similar trails in or less than 100 km from Vancouver. Love natural or man made bumps I can get a little air off of. Meaning maybe up to a foot at 20 to 25 km.

Not much into skinnies. 45 cm or wider are fine but much narrower than that, especially if raised up above deadfall that's not nice to tumble into, well... I kind of freeze up.

Videos on Trailforks are great but don't always give the clearest impression of what to expect.

Suggestions?

Also, for a two or three day staycation I'd be willing to drive a little further. EVO car share allows 200 free km each 24 hours so not too far afield.

Thanks and cheers,

John

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 18:49 Quote
JELB wrote:
Hi everyone,

Fifty-seven year old noob to mountain biking. Have a Haibike eMTB with 150 front, 120 rear. Can handle Bobsled, and as of yesterday Half Nelson up in Squamish That's about as radical as I like it right now. Would love to find other similar trails in or less than 100 km from Vancouver. Love natural or man made bumps I can get a little air off of. Meaning maybe up to a foot at 20 to 25 km.

Not much into skinnies. 45 cm or wider are fine but much narrower than that, especially if raised up above deadfall that's not nice to tumble into, well... I kind of freeze up.

Videos on Trailforks are great but don't always give the clearest impression of what to expect.

Suggestions?

Also, for a two or three day staycation I'd be willing to drive a little further. EVO car share allows 200 free km each 24 hours so not too far afield.

Thanks and cheers,

John

Unfortunately e-bikes are not allowed on non-motorized trails so you aren't actually allowed to ride places like Mt. Fromme or the bike specific trails in Squamish (Half Nelson). You may want to look for some information on riding the moto-trials trails in Squamish and Whistler as these are authorized for motorized access:

http://squamishdirtbikeassociation.ca/

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 0:03 Quote
That's news to me. I've had more than a few positive interactions with other riders while lapping Bobsled. Not one complaint or "Hey those aren't allowed here," That's after nearly twenty-five laps and passing many dozens of riders. I did hear "Hey got a rope?" and "Wanna switch (bikes)?" though.

As I've only done four laps of Half Nelson so it's too early to comment much on that. A few people expressed interest in it though.

I've heard of areas in the states that banned eMTBs and that some reversed their position. I don't know what the big deal is - unless some are riding up downhill only trails.

Props to all of you that get up to the trail-heads totally on your own power though. Respect. Talk about earning your fun.

Also, gramboh, I opened that link. Do you really expect an electric peddle assist mountain biker to ride with noisy and smelly motorbikes?

Now back to the reason for this thread please...

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 9:01 Quote
You will probably like 2Cents, Turdferg, Ditch Chicken, and Femur which all happen to be trails that link together for a decently long run on Vedder out in Chilliwack.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 16:11 Quote
JELB wrote:
That's news to me. I've had more than a few positive interactions with other riders while lapping Bobsled. Not one complaint or "Hey those aren't allowed here," That's after nearly twenty-five laps and passing many dozens of riders. I did hear "Hey got a rope?" and "Wanna switch (bikes)?" though.

As I've only done four laps of Half Nelson so it's too early to comment much on that. A few people expressed interest in it though.

I've heard of areas in the states that banned eMTBs and that some reversed their position. I don't know what the big deal is - unless some are riding up downhill only trails.

Props to all of you that get up to the trail-heads totally on your own power though. Respect. Talk about earning your fun.

Also, gramboh, I opened that link. Do you really expect an electric peddle assist mountain biker to ride with noisy and smelly motorbikes?

What's confusing? The trails are declared non-motorized by the land manager, your bicycle has a motor in it. Therefore it is not allowed. You need to talk to the relevant land managers or you are simply breaking the rules and disrespecting the community.

I pointed out an option in Squamish for you to ride your motorized bicycle on.

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 at 0:46 Quote
DugS wrote:
You will probably like 2Cents, Turdferg, Ditch Chicken, and Femur which all happen to be trails that link together for a decently long run on Vedder out in Chilliwack.

Thanks. It's a little far for EVO car sharing out to it but I'll keep them in mind and check them out on Trailforks.

Cheers,

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 at 0:59 Quote
gramboh wrote:
What's confusing? The trails are declared non-motorized by the land manager, your bicycle has a motor in it. Therefore it is not allowed. You need to talk to the relevant land managers or you are simply breaking the rules and disrespecting the community.

I pointed out an option in Squamish for you to ride your motorized bicycle on.

I didn't say I was confused.

Anyway you'll be happy to know I'm (again) seriously considering a non-powered AM / Enduro. Probably a 29er. The Haibike's travel is barely adequate and even with the longer fork I swapped in its head angle is still a steep 67.5.

You will start seeing more and more eMTBs though. Just about all the major manufacturers are starting their marketing push into N. America. Rocky Mountain's powered Altitude is a real winner with a chain-stay length identical to its un-powered sibling.

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 22:16 Quote
Ebikes on mtb trails suck.

Posted: Jul 30, 2017 at 1:45 Quote
Ride what you want. Last time I checked a careful eMtb user does less damage to the trails than all the joeys skidding down them every weekend. saying that trails like bobsled and half nelson are pretty rare outside the bikepark

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010325
Mobile Version of Website