Chainsaws to carry for a few miles?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Chainsaws to carry for a few miles?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 14:53 Quote
Hi all,

Looking for a recommendation for a good chain saw that I'll be able to carry a decent distance into the backcountry. I've got a flat bed backpack so I can pretty much carry whatever regardless of weight, but I'm more concerned about size and awkward loading. I'm really not sure what's going to be too big, and then what's "enough" power.

I'll mostly be clearing dead lodge poles, not a ton of thick or hardwood stuff.

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 17:26 Quote
I have got a Stihl Ms 180 for that with a 30 cm blade and 2 Hp. It is light fuel efficient and relatively speaking cheap. i have used it for clearing as well as Building. ist powerfull enough to fell a 70 cm oak (though that should stay an exception as it dose take while Wink , yet nimble enough to build a wooden Trail Feature.

For bigger jobs i have a MS 460. It is a beast with 6 Hp enough for any Job but i would not want to carry it in my pack for longer distances

The MS 201 TC-M is smaller and a bit more powerfull but very pricey.

If you dont cut much in one trip you should consider getting the battery powered saw. many People bash them but they are nice and quiet, dont Need to be started up and can be stowed away quickly (the hot exhaust on a Petrol saw will take some time to cool down or you risk burning stuff.) but they are pricey and you only have one Charge or have to carry multiple power packs.

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2017 at 12:36 Quote
Luneec wrote:
I have got a Stihl Ms 180 for that with a 30 cm blade and 2 Hp. It is light fuel efficient and relatively speaking cheap. i have used it for clearing as well as Building. ist powerfull enough to fell a 70 cm oak (though that should stay an exception as it dose take while Wink , yet nimble enough to build a wooden Trail Feature.

For bigger jobs i have a MS 460. It is a beast with 6 Hp enough for any Job but i would not want to carry it in my pack for longer distances

The MS 201 TC-M is smaller and a bit more powerfull but very pricey.

If you dont cut much in one trip you should consider getting the battery powered saw. many People bash them but they are nice and quiet, dont Need to be started up and can be stowed away quickly (the hot exhaust on a Petrol saw will take some time to cool down or you risk burning stuff.) but they are pricey and you only have one Charge or have to carry multiple power packs.

I got a GreenWorks 16" (40cm) bar 40V saw that I like a lot. It's battery has outlasted any mission that I have gone out on so far and the weight is tolerable. I carry it on my back with a Da Kine ski pack. I found it on special earlier in the year on Amazon for $170. The last bucking job I did was eight trees and one of them was close to 14" think. I had to cut it into several pieces to move it off trail. After it was all said and done the battery was still at 50%.

Posted: Aug 1, 2017 at 15:18 Quote
check out the new Stihl Battery powered saws. They are quiet, light (under 11 lbs with battery) and have 45-50 minute run time.

Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 15:34 Quote
yeah the stihl battery saws are great. I had a Chance to work with them and they are pretty powerfull and good to work with + no Petrol, though they still require lubrication for the bar. For clearing a trail: great. For Building with precut lumber: great. for milling your own lumber, even in the smallest cases insufficient.
photo
Cutting this log took 2 tank fillings (ist about twiche as Long as you can see) on a 4 HP saw. dont think i would want to do that with batteries Wink

Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 15:36 Quote
A lot of the trail clearing people I know in BC use the MS170 as it is cheap, light and works well.

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 9:49 Quote
I went for one model better, the MS 180 cause it costs only a few bucks more, has a bit more power at the same weight and has the chaintension adjuster on the side, not in front like the 170. That Feature alone is worth the surcharge.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011888
Mobile Version of Website