Riding Blind

PB Forum :: Beginners
Riding Blind
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 10:23 Quote
I went riding with some friends at a local spot a few days ago. I've ridden this place before but not the trails we rode that day. I like to consider myself an advanced beginner and was able to hang but I wasn't as fast as them. Consequently every trail we rode had so much overgrowth, it was difficult to tell if a switchback was coming or a sudden climb, a drop off, etc.

So while I was playing catch up I was checking my speed constantly. Even to the point on one section where I was braking my rear tire the whole time on a descent. In areas where trail visibility was good, I had no problem anticipating and recognizing how to react/act.

I've read where some people say to get off and inspect the trail to look for lines, hazards, loose terrain, etc. But if I had done that, I would've never caught up to my buddies.

So my question: What techniques do you use when riding blind? Are you constantly checking your speed? Always on the rear brake? Do you ever stop and check what's ahead? Are you constantly leaning all the way back in the "attack position"? Dropper post down whenever riding blind?

I'd appreciate any thoughts and suggestions, t.i.a.

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 13:28 Quote
Do your friends know the trail? When I ride with my boyfriend he calls out to me when there are sudden drops or climbs up ahead so I can anticipate them since he knows the trails a lot better than I do.

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 22:11 Quote
The biggest thing is to look as far as you can and be ready to dismount. I usually go slow enough to where I can stop completely if i see something like a tight corner or a cliff. Take grip and grade into consideration. (Loose, steep trails require more distance to brake, etc.) I would say to not focus on speed when you're starting out, but more on skill. Just stay comfortable on your bike and don't overdo it.

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2017 at 9:36 Quote
vtsnowangel wrote:
Do your friends know the trail? When I ride with my boyfriend he calls out to me when there are sudden drops or climbs up ahead so I can anticipate them since he knows the trails a lot better than I do.

Hi. Yes they were familiar with every trail we took. I'm sure their familiarity, and my lack thereof, had a lot to do with me losing them. Before we descended several steeps they'd give a heads up about certain sections then take off. D'oh! Confused

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2017 at 9:49 Quote
bjbae wrote:
The biggest thing is to look as far as you can and be ready to dismount. I usually go slow enough to where I can stop completely if i see something like a tight corner or a cliff. Take grip and grade into consideration. (Loose, steep trails require more distance to brake, etc.) I would say to not focus on speed when you're starting out, but more on skill. Just stay comfortable on your bike and don't overdo it.

Thanks for responding. I was checking my speed so often on a steep, I swear my rear brake faded. So I let go and just went for it. I was making good time until I came upon a rock garden section. My bad line choice resulted in an OTB moment. Thankfully I wear elbow and knee pads and didn't get roughed up too much. Confused

Posted: Aug 21, 2017 at 11:37 Quote
If I'm riding with someone and they have never been on that trail before I'll let them know (before the decent) if there are any big features to watch out for. Mainly rockgardens, drops, switchbacks, etc... I will also stop before any big spots so they can see me and walk the feature, or follow my line if they want.

Ask them next time if there is something you should know of.

Other option is to do exactly what you did. Ride to the speed in which you can see and feel comfortable. Next time you ride that trail you can hit it faster.

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2017 at 12:09 Quote
Deeber wrote:
...I will also stop before any big spots so they can see me and walk the feature, or follow my line if they want.

Other option is to do exactly what you did. Ride to the speed in which you can see and feel comfortable. Next time you ride that trail you can hit it faster.

Hi, thanks for the insight. If I was leading someone, that's exactly what I'd do too. And you're right, the next time I hit that trail, I won't be checking my speed as often.

Posted: Aug 23, 2017 at 12:19 Quote
This may not pertain to your experience, but I've always called out hairpin turns or any other big feature that could be potentially dangerous if hit unexpected. Especially if I know there are newer riders behind me. Been thanked numerous times at the bottom by people I don't know for it. Just seems like a courtesy to me.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2017 at 9:59 Quote
OverlyCasual wrote:
This may not pertain to your experience, but I've always called out hairpin turns or any other big feature that could be potentially dangerous if hit unexpected. Especially if I know there are newer riders behind me. Been thanked numerous times at the bottom by people I don't know for it. Just seems like a courtesy to me.

I know I'd be one of those thanking you too!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015040
Mobile Version of Website