Should i upgrade my bike ?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Should i upgrade my bike ?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 22, 2017 at 17:56 Quote
Hello , first post on this forum Big Grin

First i am mostly a "chill" rider who wants to try some new things.
I bought a cheap bike for daily use going to class, because i prefer riding than sitting in the train.
Riding everyday , snow , rain , don't care, it's exercice , it's fun,

Was doing 30Km / day on urban 70% and off road 30% terrain mostly flat during the week.
Week end around 10 km off road, still mostly flat terrain but more "fun" with bump , rocks ect.

I am thinking about trying a bit more and have fun with my bike.
But the problem is , even if i like it , it's a really cheap ride, 200€ without the mods.
It's not really a money issue , just a daily use bike.
And as most daily use bikes , you don't park a fancy one or it will get stolen for sure.

It's a modded B'Twin Rockrider 340 26" Limited edition in S size.
My Rockrider

So hard tail , 80mm travel, shimano tourney all the cheap things ! Rolleyes

I changed / Added :
- Front wheel for a B'twin disk compatible
- Front v-brake for a mech disk from B'twin ( it's a tektro i think ).
- Saddle for an italia Shiver XC
- Grip for Rockrider 900 Lock on Grips
- Tires for Hutchinston cobra tlr 26*2.10 127Tpi at 2.2Bars
- Turning things changed for 3x7 Microshift Shifters.
- Chainstay protector
It's really fun to ride, reliable so far 3600km (2230 miles) and surprisingly... "fast" 28kmph (17 mph) average..

But now my year of class is over and i wanna try to ride in mountain now, still as a chill rider nothing crazy.

Should i upgrade this bike and continue to have fun with it ? Is it too dangerous, for like the frame ?
Was thinking about :
New Fork like a Rockshox with a lock for flat terrain.
New Wheels like Mavic Crossride 26"
New gears too.

I looked at new bikes i can afford like Santa Cruz Bronson wich looks really cool.
But i am not sure investing 4k € is a smart choice for a noob...

Thanks for your advices , and sorry my english is not that great.

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 at 16:32 Quote
"Should i upgrade my bike ?"

The answer to this question is always yes, though if you want a bike that is fun in the dirt and capable on the road (and can be left locked up somewhere) I think two different bikes is the best option. Then you have twice as many upgrades to decide about.

Posted: Jul 27, 2017 at 9:09 Quote
Thanks for your answer, have to think about this option then.
Only issue will be to have room for both , nothing impossible.

Now i will have to find a second bike that fits because i am 5.4. (165cm)
Most of the bikes are just too tall for me Cry

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 14:59 Quote
i had a similar bike called a btwin rockrider 500 now thats a french make so there arent many in england but i got one as there is a store near me. I found it horrible... but if you really like it the one thing i hated about it was the forks as it felt sooooo stiff and they never really did anything. In my opinion if you like to go on long rides i would maybe consider staying with it but i think some really good upgrades to this would be a couple of options and if you can do them both i feel you would be much better off.
1. Get a new fork you can buy decent ones second hand by sr suntour and marrochi for about £40-120 this would make it feel more playful and obviously help you to go much faster in the decents. Then adding on to that i would upgrade the tyres maybe go for something quite chunky like a 2'2 inch front tyre and a 2'1 inch rear as this would increase grip and depending on what tire you could get will make a big change
2. Easily the best upgrades for cheap are your stem and handlebars. On my btwin i had a huge stem and tiny bars like 640mm so it felt more like a road bike which wasnt great for a mtb. So if you want to do more decending i would get bars from 750-800mm and a 30-50mm stem but if you want to do normal riding i would probably still stick with this as you will have so much more control.

In any way you mix those upgrades the differences will be huge for that bike so if you tell me what you would be able to do i coud give some suggestions for what to get.
Also right now on chain reaction cycles there is a huge sale and expensive forks like fox 32 which would be 750 are selling for 150 (: and if you where to buy a bike what would be your max amount

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 2:05 Quote
[Quote="Qyoon"]Hello , first post on this forum Big Grin

I bought a cheap bike for daily use going to class, because i prefer riding than sitting in the train.

Was doing 30Km / day on urban 70% and off road 30% terrain mostly flat during the week.
Week end around 10 km off road, still mostly flat terrain but more "fun" with bump , rocks ect.

But the problem is , even if i like it , it's a really cheap ride, 200€ without the mods.
And as most daily use bikes , you don't park a fancy one or it will get stolen for sure.

My Rockrider

I would reccomend the Diamondback Overdrive. Comes in size small and you can go for 27.5 or 29er. Some in line stores sell it at very competitive prices. Seth, from the youtube blog seth bike hacks reccomend it for begginers. Try buy your bike and get an overdrive. It will be a multi step upgrade from your 26er BTWINN

https://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-Bicycle-Overdrive-Mountain-27-5-Inch/dp/B013JMII4U

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 2:15 Quote
[Quote="Qyoon"]Hello , first post on this forum Big Grin

My Rockrider

Forgot to tell you Haro flightline is an on budget option too. And look at this

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product2_10052_10551_7000000000000010582_-1

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 3:13 Quote
Hi there,
30km/day! not bad, really appreciable. As you told that the bike is for regular use I think your current bike is not bad for that.
I agree with you, big budget bike may have some extra fun and more comfortable, but always have a risk of stolen. So, my suggestion is you can continue with this. Later you can change if you have any big issue.

Posted: Mar 1, 2018 at 20:31 Quote
I gave the yellow bike to my mom and better than an upgrade changed bike.

Went for a new one RockRider 900 this time,

well equiped for cheap 800€ ( 980$)

27.5" Mavic Crossride FTS-X
Hutchinson Python 2 2.1
Manitou M30 100mm fork
Sram NX 1x11

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 at 9:05 Quote
Looks insane!! it must be a huge upgrade in every aspect. Did you not have a look at a bike like the voodoo canzon, calibre bossnut or a orange p7 second hand? Thye are all around that price but still that looks really good

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 23:32 Quote
cormac-james wrote:
Looks insane!! it must be a huge upgrade in every aspect. Did you not have a look at a bike like the voodoo canzon, calibre bossnut or a orange p7 second hand? Thye are all around that price but still that looks really good

Hey !

Yeah the bike feels so great, it's super light ( under 12Kg), fast and the 1x stuff is insane.
I am learning how to setup the airfork properly but this one is better in all aspect.

Where i live there is not a ton of used bike oppotunity except really crap or really high end.

I have to admit i never saw any of those brands in France.
Think i saw the orange on a youtube video. But all those brands i never heard about in here.

I bought the Rockrider new and it was this or a Canyon Grand Canyon AL 4.0.
But the Grand Canyon was same price, heavier with less equipment so i went for the Rockrider.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019785
Mobile Version of Website