Lightweight wheels = flexy? (Halo Vapour)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Lightweight wheels = flexy? (Halo Vapour)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 2:19 Quote
Hi all. I'm modding up my 2008 Giant STP 26 to be a lightweight woodland hooning/coast path machine. I'm looking for a set of lighter stiffer wheels.

My plan is to build Halo Vapour rims on Hope Pro 4 hubs with DB spokes. The Vapour rims are 32h, 21mm internal width and quite light at 415g each. Are the finished wheels likely to be flexier than my 36h stock wheels?

I'm used to Halo SAS rims 36 front and 48 rear on my other bikes so I expect stiffness Cool

Any help/discussion would be great!

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 4:33 Quote
DJPrOdigy wrote:
Hi all. I'm modding up my 2008 Giant STP 26 to be a lightweight woodland hooning/coast path machine. I'm looking for a set of lighter stiffer wheels.

My plan is to build Halo Vapour rims on Hope Pro 4 hubs with DB spokes. The Vapour rims are 32h, 21mm internal width and quite light at 415g each. Are the finished wheels likely to be flexier than my 36h stock wheels?

I'm used to Halo SAS rims 36 front and 48 rear on my other bikes so I expect stiffness Cool

48 vs 32 rear will see some stiffness difference.. just per spoke count. DB wires...which ones are you planning on?

I like to lace 1x outbound NDS on the triplet rears I build.. increases bracing angle.. believe it helps stability. Sapim Strong DB 13/14's are super durable.. a mite heavier.. that would also increase stiffness. I road a bike few winters back with the crosses tied.. no matter what the "experts" rattle off... that also increases stiffness. Unless your super strong... hard on wheels.. I think your go to go w your original plan.

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 9:16 Quote
Aladin wrote:
DJPrOdigy wrote:

48 vs 32 rear will see some stiffness difference.. just per spoke count. DB wires...which ones are you planning on?

I like to lace 1x outbound NDS on the triplet rears I build.. increases bracing angle.. believe it helps stability. Sapim Strong DB 13/14's are super durable.. a mite heavier.. that would also increase stiffness. I road a bike few winters back with the crosses tied.. no matter what the "experts" rattle off... that also increases stiffness. Unless your super strong... hard on wheels.. I think your go to go w your original plan.

I'm not too sure on spoke brand yet, probably Sapim or DT Swiss 2.0/1.8/2.0mm. I'm a fan of oldschool 3cross lacing so I might go for that. I was also thinking PG 2.0mm spokes at the rear and DB at the front if it made it stiffer? It's the first time I've ever considered weight when building a wheelset so I'm a bit lost. I'm buying the Hope Pro 4 Trials 6 speed 135mm hub due to the wider flange spacing, so that should help whatever rim/spokes I buy. I can't find any reviews on the stiffness of the Vapour rims yet Frown

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009129
Mobile Version of Website