Manitou Dorado Pro Seal Kits?

PB Forum :: Other
Manitou Dorado Pro Seal Kits?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 25, 2017 at 6:52 Quote
Where is it possible to find a seal kit for a 2012 Manitou Dorado Pro. Nothing seems to be turning up online or im just doing a poor job of searching for stuff.

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 at 9:41 Quote
mazdacub wrote:
Where is it possible to find a seal kit for a 2012 Manitou Dorado Pro. Nothing seems to be turning up online or im just doing a poor job of searching for stuff.

Okay, so... this not the easiest thing.

There are two issues - the first is that, as you know, the seal kits are hard to come by. The second is that even if you do find some, there is a high chance they are quite shit. There are known quality issues with Manitou seals.

After last season my 2012 Dorado was leaking. I managed to find a genuine kit on eBay. In fact, it was this EXACT auction: Manitou Annual service kit, '10+ Dorado Pro/Expert/29er (36mm)

However, before you jump on that, I'll let you know that I had my local LBS do a full service on my Dorado, including installing this kit. The mechanic called me while he was doing it and told me that the main oil seals seemed a bit loose, but we'd try anyway. He knew of the manufacturing issues with these seals as he rides Dorados himself.

Anyway, they seem all good and I go out for day one at Whistler. Later that day, I notice oil on my stanchions. God damn it! No seal, my friend. So I bring the fork back into my LBS. The mechanic has another two personal sets of seals, and hooks me up. While he's working on installing the new seals, he notices that his set are just as loose as mine, so he proposes another idea. He hasn't tried it before, but FOX 36 seals are look pretty similar, although they are taller and the dust wipers might not fit. He asks me if I'm keen to give it a try - experimental fork rebuild begins! Later that day, I get a call and he's done - the seal fit perfectly and he was able to install the dust wipers also, it's all looking good. I go grab them. Two riding days later, I give him a call and let him know that his experiment was a success.

And that's pretty much it, there have been no leaks after that. The fork is smooth as a baby's butt and has caused no trouble.

So, that small novel was pretty much to advise you that if you want to do a full rebuild, grab that eBay set, but forgo the main oil seals and grab some FOX 36 seals instead. The same Ebay seller has them as well, so you could just grab 'em together: PUSH Industries Ultra low friction seal kit Fox - 36mm

Hope that helped!

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 19:21 Quote
Has anybody else tried the fox seals on the dorado?

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004710
Mobile Version of Website