Heli-drop Bike tours

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Heli-drop Bike tours
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 25, 2017 at 13:58 Quote
Has anyone had any experience with Blackcomb Helicopters heli-biking? I'm looking to do a bike drop trip and finding it difficult to get any info on them. I've called twice and left messages and sent 2 emails. I'd really like to know what trail they drop you off at and where it is. the first time i called she said it was the Rainbow Drop trail on Rainbow mtn. i haven't been able to find that anywhere. I've left a message with the person that is supposed to know those details but its been almost a week and no reply. Anyone know anything about it or know of any other heli biking companies? I'm looking for something unguided, downhill oriented and as long as possible.

thanks in advance

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 at 15:10 Quote
You piqued my interest with 'heli-drop'. Personally I'd have said just move on as probably charlatans but says they have been in business 27yrs etc so maybe just busy/ not that efficient. They certainly seem legit.

Found this on Rainbow mtn- http://www.leelau.net/sharonandlee/rainbow-mountain-heli-drop/ and this https://www.pinkbike.com/video/418910/ and this https://www.pinkbike.com/news/just-the-tip-crankworx-escape-video-2016.html

Hopefully of some use Smile

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 at 16:32 Quote
Thanks man

i did see those but apparently didn't scroll to the bottom of the last one. the TF map was good, just hoping to see the actual trail on the map. I'm coming up from Wa and don't know the area. i figured it wasn't a good idea to jump on a helo and get dropped off somewhere with no map and no idea where i was. I'm sure the trail is easy to follow, but its nice to have a backup plan.

cheers

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 25, 2017 at 16:45 Quote
Blackcomb Heli is absolutely legit. The options are Rainbow out of Whistler or Mt. Barbour north of Pemberton (ride down to Tenquille lake and descend to the road). Haven't done either so I can't advise... from watching videos/pictures, Barbour/Tenquille looks a lot more fun and is a bit more remote.

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 at 11:38 Quote
JHollowell wrote:
Thanks man

i did see those but apparently didn't scroll to the bottom of the last one. the TF map was good, just hoping to see the actual trail on the map. I'm coming up from Wa and don't know the area. i figured it wasn't a good idea to jump on a helo and get dropped off somewhere with no map and no idea where i was. I'm sure the trail is easy to follow, but its nice to have a backup plan.

cheers

No worries- yeah, even with someone pointing and saying it's down that way, I'd like to have plan A and B as well as a good understanding of where I was just to stack the odds more in my favour for anything unexpected lol

Hope you get something sorted, sounds like a lot of fun to be had Smile

Posted: Jul 30, 2017 at 20:02 Quote
Just FYI the Rainbow Heli drop is very short and over very quick. We can hike to it within 3 hours of the valley.

The Barbour heli drop otoh is much much more worth it.

The link to the leelau.net helidrop was for skiing but I'm sure you've seen that. I also wouldn't even bother with that for skiing as its so short.

Posted: Jul 30, 2017 at 21:06 Quote

I have done Cartier. IMO, the help is not worth the price... but some people see a lot of value/ get a hard on for helis and the alpine views.. If you have never been in a heli before, and can't get yourself to the alpine on the regular.. I can see the appeal. But the best part of the cartier trail is ridable from the bottom. and there are much nicer alpine trails in the area.

Posted: Jul 31, 2017 at 9:11 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:

I did Cartier, because I got a free lift thanks to some friends and an extra seat... IMO, its not worth the price... but some people see a lot of value/ get a hard on for helis and the alpine views.. If you have never been in a heli before, and can't get yourself to the alpine on the regular.. I can see the appeal. But the best part of the cartier trail is ridable from the bottom. and there are much nicer alpine trails in the area.

Yup you can push to the Cartier fire lookout in 6 hours so its not terrible and doesn't even need a heli drop.

http://www.leelau.net/sharonandlee/pemberton-tenquille-area/

Barbour before the Paddy Kaye trail got put in. - Also takes about 6.5-7hour to the peak from the Tenquille trail exit at bottom and can then ride down and bathe in forest and alpine.

But helis are cool and stuff so there;'s that.

Posted: Jul 31, 2017 at 9:17 Quote
Thanks guys,

I'm trying to surprise my girlfriend with the heli drop as she's never been on a helo before and says its on her bucket list. I'm also looking for something to be done in a day trip or maybe a weekend trip with a day at Whistler or some Squamish trails and then the next day do the heli drop. I'm down in Seattle so driving up to whistler for a day or for the weekend is pretty common.

Posted: Aug 1, 2017 at 14:48 Quote
leelau wrote:
Just FYI the Rainbow Heli drop is very short and over very quick. We can hike to it within 3 hours of the valley.

The link to the leelau.net helidrop was for skiing but I'm sure you've seen that. I also wouldn't even bother with that for skiing as its so short.

Leelau, what kind of bike do you recommend? When i talked to them they said full DH bike but from the videos it looks like an AM would be fine. My options are V10 or Nomad and the gf only has a nomad so i don't want to get her into something too sketchy with that bike. that would make for a long 4 hour drive home.

Posted: Aug 1, 2017 at 16:22 Quote
JHollowell wrote:
leelau wrote:

Leelau, what kind of bike do you recommend? When i talked to them they said full DH bike but from the videos it looks like an AM would be fine. My options are V10 or Nomad and the gf only has a nomad so i don't want to get her into something too sketchy with that bike. that would make for a long 4 hour drive home.

Full DH bike? Are they on crack? Nomads are fine. I took xc bikes there but I have poor judgment

Posted: Aug 1, 2017 at 19:55 Quote
Haha. It was the receptionist so who knows. Thanks for the info. Trail bikes it is

O+
Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 13:07 Quote
Hey everyone, just found this thread and planning on doing the Pemby Tenquille drop in early September. Can anyone add any additional comments? I have seen varying distances quoted for this, anyone with a solid number? Much climbing once you drop out? How easy is the trail to follow? Can't wait just looking for some additional info if it's out there. Thanks.

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 at 7:35 Quote
manhattanprjkt83 wrote:
Hey everyone, just found this thread and planning on doing the Pemby Tenquille drop in early September. Can anyone add any additional comments? I have seen varying distances quoted for this, anyone with a solid number? Much climbing once you drop out? How easy is the trail to follow? Can't wait just looking for some additional info if it's out there. Thanks.

I did it on Sunday. Cant say I'd have any interest in doing it again though. I'm not much of a take in the scenery person so you might get more out of that aspect. The alpine trail was kind of fun but once you get to hiking trail that brings you up to the cabin it's total shit. Overgrown on your left side so your hand is constantly in the brush with a relatively steep bank right next to the singletrack on your right. After the cabin you're riding a hiking trail until you get to the burn, it's all rideable but some sections are filled with large basketball sized rocks which could be dangerous if they surprise you. That section of trail has zero flow. Once you get in the burn it actually feels like a bike trail and gets more fun

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013015
Mobile Version of Website