4X needs to change, bigtime.

PB Forum :: Downhill
4X needs to change, bigtime.
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 12:33 Quote
why does everybody think that 4 cross has to be like a downhill?
4 cross isn´t dowhill nor bmx racing it´s just 4 cross´!

the best points are said by jared graves, read it!!!! www.jaredgraves.net

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 12:39 Quote

because downhill is a true representation of mountain biking, and since 4X is raced using Mountain Bikes and not BMX bikes, it should also reflect this fact

currently, many of the 4X tracks are smooth bmx style tracks, but with 4 riders competing, instead of 8 or 10 like in BMX racing

put any competent BMX racer on a smooth 4X track and they would smoke anyone riding a MTB, which says something very revealing about the identity crisis that 4X faces?

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 12:42 Quote
thankyou!! 4x is 4x otherwise if its just 4 downhill riders then its just downhill......bmx riders have some of the best bike handling hence the comment that rocks wont necessarily slow them....similarly bmx riders do also ride mountain bikes suprisingly so going over something rockier makes not difference!
Chicksands is nothing like a bmx track, 2 berms in one corner overlaping....and as much as people say...its not as smooth as a bmx track....no grit or tarmac berms at chicksands oh and the big concept of...ITS ON A HILL!!
Other things include differnet jumps on a 4x track depending on what line you take...bmx track is all lined up meaning only difference on a bmx track is the in/out of a berm!

All im saying is the reason bmxers win is because they train!

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 12:45 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:

because downhill is a true representation of mountain biking, and since 4X is raced using Mountain Bikes and not BMX bikes, it should also reflect this fact

How can you say that! thats like saying xc riding is just road riding on dirt! downhill is downhill not a representation of mountain biking!!

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 13:00 Quote
3rd and final thing from me.....personaly i see 4x as an option for dirt jumpers who wanna race! Downhill is its own discipline, bmx is its own discipline, for a hardtail rider/dirtjumper going to downhill or bmx is quite an extreme....bringing in the market for 4x!!

O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 13:16 Quote
ahstueyman wrote:
3rd and final thing from me.....personaly i see 4x as an option for dirt jumpers who wanna race! Downhill is its own discipline, bmx is its own discipline, for a hardtail rider/dirtjumper going to downhill or bmx is quite an extreme....bringing in the market for 4x!!

8 out of 10 dirt jumpers do shit in 4x races. When i did my first race last year there was a dirt jumper in my group with 24" wheels, street tyres, 1 brake and singlespeed. He lost every race. You make it sound as if 4x riders dont train at all when they clearly do a huge amount aswell.

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 13:27 Quote
im not saying they dont...but i doubt majority is the same as bmx....4x needs time....i personally think its doing alright, bigger than its been! It needs time and it needs 4x riders....so not downhill or bmx riders that are doing it on the side....over time it will grow and become its own discipline! Im just arguing the idea that the tracks have to be completely changed for 4x to survive!! Basically i dont like downhill (personaly) i dont mind a bit of dirt jumping and i race bmx... but i also love riding my mtb, so 4x for me ticks all the boxes!!

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 13:52 Quote
To spice it up the lights and beeps need to be taken off the start gate Book

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 14:13 Quote
Totally agree with your opinion
t3rr1 wrote:
The reason that gaps are not a good thing is because in the sport of 4x you often et cut off/crash... now imagine if you get cut off right before a creek gap?

Your either going to DNF or walk back up the course far enough to get some speed to make it. Either way isn't good.

I don't see problems with rocks and stuff in the course - but stuff that isn't rollable does not belong on a 4x course.

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 8:45 Quote
jumps to flat ???? thats just gay

FL
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 11:13 Quote
nakedracing wrote:
To spice it up the lights and beeps need to be taken off the start gate Book

Haha not to far off leamington at the moment with the hand release, you should try it with the air ram tup

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 11:35 Quote
4X is meant to be super fast and flowy people wanna see them go fast adding jumps to flat or a creek gap would slow it down you wouldnt put a turn on a drag strip wpuld ya...didnt think so 4X is fine the way it is IMO and plus you can build the tracks any where pretty much

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 12:06 Quote
I don't think we should change to much.
There are so many crashes in 4X, Imagine, tons of people would crash in rock gardens. Even if only a small number of them crashes badly, you still need a big amount of ambulances to bring all of them into the hospital Smile
It would be too much of a risk for the organizer.
For pros it might be okay, but not for amature races.

Mod
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 12:11 Quote
just add one of these into every course Razz
photo

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 12:16 Quote
jakal44444 wrote:
4X is meant to be super fast and flowy

It is?

Fast yes, but not necessarily 'flowy' as such. Otherwise it just becomes big BMX, which is far less fun to race on *cough Chicksands cough*

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022736
Mobile Version of Website