I Don't Know What Size Bike I Ride Anymore...

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
I Don't Know What Size Bike I Ride Anymore...
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 27, 2017 at 13:40 Quote
Just as the title says, I no longer know what size bike I ride. I'm 5'10, average proportions (like a 32" inseam, 27" arms, etc.). For the longest time I've been riding medium frames. 5'10" is actually average for an American, so it would stand to reason I'd be bang on in the middle of the medium size range.

Except, I'm not. Most simple sizing charts have me at the top end of a medium, which generally tends to overlap with the bottom range of a large. Having not purchased a bike in a while, and with the emergence of the new geo trends over the past 2-3 years, I'm really having trouble nailing down what size bike I "should" be riding.

My current bike is a 2013 Sinister Shenanigan, size medium. Here's the geo:

Travel: 160/152
Headtube: 67
top tube: 580
BB height: 364
CS Length: 430
Seat Tube Angle: 74
Reach: 420 (measured myself)
Stack: 570 (again, measured myself)
Wheelbase: 1151
Standover: 743

I measured the reach and stack myself. The reach was easy- drop a plumb bob down to the bottom bracket, then measure to the head tube. As I don't have a level, measuring the stack was tougher, and I'm only about 80% confident that's right. At any rate, the reach is the more important of the two anyway, IMO.

I think the bike feels good, but the fact of the matter is, I'm not really sure- I'd need a L handy to really compare the two, and we all know different bikes can be so much different, even in a M. I guess I'm just looking for some insight from other riders. A few bikes I'm considering:

2016 Intense Tracer M or L
Headtube Angle: M: 66.5 for both
Top Tube: 585 / 616
BB Height: 343 for both
CS Length: 432 for both
Seat Angle: 74.5 for both
Reach: 416 / 445
Stack: 609 / 618
WB: 1149 / 1175

This represents a good bike where I have no idea which direction to go. I have neither available to test in my immediate area (Buffalo is so weak in MTB shops, it's sad and sorry, so assume I can't test ride anything- I'm not buying a Trek or a Specialized), so I'm forced to go off the numbers. The medium is very similar to my current whip, although it'll be a 27.5" bike vs. a 26", so clearly, that will make a difference, but how much of one? Should I stick with this size? Or, in an effort to harness the power of "long and low", should I bump up to a L?

A bike like the Banshee Prime is a good one too...

2013 Banshee Prime (I'd run in slack)
Headtube Angle: M: 67.5
Top Tube: 609
BB Height: 336
CS Length: 447
Seat Angle: 75
Reach: 440
Stack: ??
WB: 1184 (in neutral, longer on slack, naturally)

The numbers seem to stack up pretty well (that's a bit of a pun, I admit)... sort of in the middle of most manufacturer's medium and large frames, but does that jive with how it will feel?

As for how I ride, I like it playful, I don't care about snagging KOMs or out sprinting the local 29er carbon hard tail riders on the flats. I'm out there to have fun, pop some natural lips, jump into g-outs, manual over rooty sections, etc. I know I'm looking for short-ish chain stays, relatively low BBs and all that- but the reach and/or top tube measurements on bikes these days have my head spinning. What do you guys think? I appreciate all the help

PS - My Shenanigan is for sale, here: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2217381/ It's a great bike, I just wanna try something new- if only I can settle on a size for a few select models... Thanks again for reading!

Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 8:45 Quote
Yes, as someone with that height, welcome to the club. It's been a real pain looking for a bike before finally settling on a large. One minor things you may have missed is stem length. Bikes are being spec cedar with longer frames and shorter stems. A 35mm stem is very common these days and it'll be a challenge to find anything longer than 50mm, Pivot is about the last holdout and I'm sure they'll be changing that very soon. Your only real option is to get out and demo some bikes. But to point you in a decent direction for poppy and playful I would go take a look at the Transition Patrol. If you're mostly riding trails and less lift accessed stuff the scout they make is also a good choice. 15/16 kona process and the same years for the Ibis hd3 are also good. I haven't ridden too much of this year's stuff.

Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 9:24 Quote
Yeah, most of the time when I'm looking at a L, it's under the assumption that I'd definitely be switching to a 35 or 40 mm stem. That Tracer, for example, comes with a 50mm, I'd probably keep it if I went M, and swap to a 35 if I went L.

The Transition Patrol looks mint, I had actually messaged a guy about a frame a few weeks back... but they just seem to hold their value so well, that even used, they're a touch out of my price range. Really hoping that Canyon brings over Spectral 5.0 EX when they unveil their US offering, it's a bike at a great price (at least, if it is consistent with their euro pricing).

Really the bikes I'm considering, with the size I'd probably get:
2016 Intense Tracer - L
2013 Prime - L
2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Two - M
2017 Nukeproof Mega 290 or Mega 275 - 16.5
2018? Canyon Spectral 4.0 EX (if it comes to the US) - M

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 0:39 Quote
I'm the same height and found I now just look at stuff with reach 430-440 and short seat tube, basically I want a large frame in reach and a medium frame in standover. Fortunately the new wave of long low and slack and designed for dropper posts has finally produced a load of bikes that fit.

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 15:07 Quote
phobospwns wrote:
Yeah, most of the time when I'm looking at a L, it's under the assumption that I'd definitely be switching to a 35 or 40 mm stem. That Tracer, for example, comes with a 50mm, I'd probably keep it if I went M, and swap to a 35 if I went L.

The Transition Patrol looks mint, I had actually messaged a guy about a frame a few weeks back... but they just seem to hold their value so well, that even used, they're a touch out of my price range. Really hoping that Canyon brings over Spectral 5.0 EX when they unveil their US offering, it's a bike at a great price (at least, if it is consistent with their euro pricing).

Really the bikes I'm considering, with the size I'd probably get:
2016 Intense Tracer - L
2013 Prime - L
2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Two - M
2017 Nukeproof Mega 290 or Mega 275 - 16.5
2018? Canyon Spectral 4.0 EX (if it comes to the US) - M
Have you looked at Giant Reign? They are pretty long for their size and the 2018 is even longer, so a Med might work well for you.

Posted: Jul 30, 2017 at 1:22 Quote
I always go for the L, I'm 183 with 84 inseam. I prefer the higher stack height because of the longer legs. And I love the stability of the longer bikes. So it's a win win.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009554
Mobile Version of Website