Pros and cons of 27.5 + tires

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Pros and cons of 27.5 + tires
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 8, 2017 at 6:15 Quote
Nice1 - tyre pressure is all pretty much subjective though.

Posted: Nov 8, 2017 at 10:58 Quote
I run from 13-15 in front and 15-19 in the back

Posted: Nov 8, 2017 at 11:04 Quote
TannerZ wrote:

Tyre size, rider weight, tubed or tubeless, dry or wet ground!?

Like I stated it’s all subjective on top of the main points I mention in this post.

Posted: Nov 8, 2017 at 12:46 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
TannerZ wrote:

Tyre size, rider weight, tubed or tubeless, dry or wet ground!?

Like I stated it’s all subjective on top of the main points I mention in this post.

I have a 3.0 nobby nic up front and 2.8 rocket ron in back, they are both tubless

Posted: Nov 8, 2017 at 13:08 Quote
Yeah but are you a lightweight middle or heavyweight though?

Posted: Nov 9, 2017 at 11:36 Quote
Took the Scott out for a trail centre blast today and have to be honest and say that I was a little underwhelmed!

I can't quite put my finger on what the problem was but it just felt sluggish and a bit "meh!"

Down hills were good - these plus tyres certainly like going down hill!

But uphills were just, well I'm not really sure? I was expecting a bit of a smoother rear end than the Mondraker that it replaced but I didn't really experience that and going down rocky chutes it seemed to get bounced around as much as its skinny tyred brethren!

Tyre pressures are, as mentioned above, subjective but they were at 16 front and 18 rear and I weigh 80kg.

Not convinced yet

Posted: Nov 9, 2017 at 12:14 Quote
Dai3015 wrote:
Took the Scott out for a trail centre blast today and have to be honest and say that I was a little underwhelmed!

I can't quite put my finger on what the problem was but it just felt sluggish and a bit "meh!"

But uphills were just, well I'm not really sure? I was expecting a bit of a smoother rear end than the Mondraker that it replaced but I didn't really experience that and going down rocky chutes it seemed to get bounced around as much as its skinny tyred brethren!

Tyre pressures are, as mentioned above, subjective but they were at 16 front and 18 rear and I weigh 80kg.

Not convinced yet

The good news is: Tire width isn't a religion and you don't HAVE TO drink the kool aide Wink

Posted: Nov 9, 2017 at 12:37 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
Dai3015 wrote:

Not convinced yet

The good news is: Tire width isn't a religion and you don't HAVE TO drink the kool aide Wink

With my wheelset, I have options down to 2.35” but wanna get to know plus more ...

Posted: Nov 9, 2017 at 12:42 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:
Dai3015 wrote:

Not convinced yet

With my wheelset, I have options down to 2.35” but wanna get to know plus more ...

I don't blame you for wanting to experiment. That's pretty much what I love about bicycles. There's a shit ton of options and things to mess with for a relatively low price. It's a tinkerer's paradise. What I'll never understand is some peoples' quest to establish just exactly what is the one true perfect tire for everyone, or the one true, perfect anything else. Never stop experimenting.

Posted: Nov 10, 2017 at 23:23 Quote
Was undecided for a while on whether or not to go 27.5+ or 27.5. Watched online reviews and talked to the local shops trying to get opinions. Where I ride (western CO desert) the + seems to be growing in popularity. The terrain out here, simply put, ranges from chunky rocks to fast flowey DRY hard packed single track and sand.

Coming from a hardtail with 2.5 front and 2.2 rear I am a happy camper as I ended up going with the 2017 Cannondale Bad habit 1 aluminum. (I really wanted the Santa Cruz Hightower LT plus but it was roughly $2400 more....the carbon version of the Cannondale is similar in price).

Short story long...I am super happy with it. All the washboard on the downhill is practically silenced. Navigates the chunky rock gardens great. Grips well, hits drops like butter, catches air easily and lands smooth. I've seen it described as cushy in reviews and I think that is the best word for the feel.. But don't be fooled when a hard lean turn is in order it delivers. My only complaint is my particular bike is on the heavy side at +32lbs. Running tubeless helped the weight a bit but the granny gear requires much more torque than I am used to, so steep climbs are a bear.

If you can afford the carbon version of these bikes I'd go for it no matter what terrain you ride. If you climb steep stuff and are trying to achieve distance maybe avoid the aluminum version of the +.

Posted: Mar 21, 2018 at 12:13 Quote
My first hardcore hardtail has plus tires. They are 3.0 F and 2.8 WTB Rangers. To the person who said that .5 lbs of air difference can make a huge difference, they are totally right! I'm having a bit of a trouble finding the right pressures. I've found a good middle ground. The tires do help soak up a lot on the back. Lower pressure help but jsut make sure not to run too low like I did and burp the tire and lose sealant.

I dont think id ride a hardtail with regular sized tires. They just do so much for hardtails. Plus, IMO, they looks proper, but thats just me.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016709
Mobile Version of Website