TR 4.2, User Review?

PB Forum :: Commencal
TR 4.2, User Review?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 15:01 Quote
Hi guys, I was wondering if current owners can chime in and write some literature on their experiences with their TR 4.2? Although good professional reviews are fairly abundant, I've developed a suspension of them, and there aren't that many people writing about their TR4.2s. Or maybe Im just bad at researching. Anyways, I want to hear from the end user, and I am sure many other potential buyers share the sentiment.

Please, help us out! Even if its just a few sentences Big Grin

Posted: Aug 3, 2017 at 22:51 Quote
Best. Bike. Ever.
I purchased the meta TR essential back in April size M. After trying multiple bikes of similar spec by Giant, Trek, Specialized etc. (all 27.5) all dual suspension aluminum, all "trial/all mountain" I wasn't super sold on them. I had never actually heard of commencal until I started scouring youtube for online reviews and saw the 1st and 3rd place "trail bike of the year vids" I figured I would give the commencal a try. Also, it was about 6-800 cheaper than the bikes I was testing at a similar spec.

Bike arrived a week after ordering. Online ordering was easy and commencal canada rep got back to me with my questions about ordering within 1 business day. Arrived in box via UPS with no damage. Assembly was fairly straight forward. I'm no expert mechanic but got it done in about an hour. Only challenge was the dropper post. The youtube video suggests a bleed kit to shorten the hose-I did not have one, nor did the bike come with one (and no susupension shock pump either). I contacted commencal and they suggested it could be done without the bleed kit. I tried and failed. Maybe it can be done without a bleed kit, but I couldn't figure it out. I contacted commencal-they sent me out a bleed kit at no charge for the trouble. Kit arrived three days later and I was good to go.

I'm not an expert rider. I was looking for a bike that climbed extremely well and could handle single track with minor drops and technical sections and this bike does not disappoint. I also wanted something a shade lighter than the AM and for the type of riding I do, I know I do not need travel typical of AM type bikes. The slack geometry places me in a comfortable position and the bike is easily something I could do an all day ride on. No need to change anything from stock set up and I'll never upgrade anything on this bike.I purchased a medium frame (I'm 5'9") and it is a perfect fit. Easily the most comfortable bike I've ever been on. It does not feel like a large bike and handles extremely well. I'm taking lines that I wouldn't have dreamed of even attempting on my previous ride (dual suspension giant with sektor fork and monarch rear 26") The black matte paint is amazing and the quality control from the factory/fit and finish is perfect. What's also kind of nice is not a lot of people have this bike so it's a little unique when you're out and about riding. Ride alpha parts are perfect. Seat is comfortable, no need to upgrade that or any other ride alpha parts or otherwise. 1 by 11 drivetrain shifts like butter, I do not miss having an extra 2 chainrings. Brakes are perfect, responsive and have tremendous stopping power.Cockpit is extremely comfortable, no back ache or a@@ pain for an all day ride. I do not regret buying an aluminum frame. This bike is a rocket and the parts spec for the price was not comparable to anything I could get at my local bike shops. I would have no problem taking it on all mountain type trails as well. I think this bike can handle pretty much anything. Quality welds on the frame throughout (bike is made in taiwan, as most bikes are these days)

The only disadvantages that the bike has is as follows:
1. The bike is so good, it gives me the false impression that I am a better rider than I actually am. Climbs super well, no bob and takes a beating on the downhills.
2. As per the bike of the year youtube video, getting used to the wider rear end took me about 5 mins. Yes, my feet hit the stays at the start, but now I don't even notice it anymore. Size 10 feet. This is only a minor critique.
3. Does not come with a bleed kit for the dropper post and no shock pump. The tech at my LBS said he was "shocked" that Commencal didn't include that. Maybe he's right, or maybe he's biased against Commencal given the direct to consumer business model.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022973
Mobile Version of Website