Dropping weight on Process 153

PB Forum :: Kona
Dropping weight on Process 153
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 10:19 Quote
I threw my 153 on the scale yesterday and I was surprised to see that it was very close to 34 lbs. I was planning on a heavier rear tire and a longer travel dropper in the near future but I'm afraid it'll push me over the 35lb mark.

I've read that some have managed to get the weight under 30 on these bikes. Any ideas for shedding weight on this beast? The DBair is here to stay and I have vowed not to go 1x until this cassette is worn out, I'm in a similar spot with the wheels seeing as they have basically zero re sale value and my shop is cluttered enough as it is. I would consider cranks if there is anything to gain there. I could get away with lighter tires, but I go faster with legit casings and wide tires so they will probably remain around the 1kg mark.

I've been trying to blow up these wheels but they have been holding up really well, despite the rear needing a true every ride for the first 20 something rides, and the hub being basically garbage (finally got the cone tension dialed).

Posted: Aug 6, 2017 at 5:01 Quote
Those sram cranks are heavy. Mine weighed 989 no bb no pedals just the cranks. Slx are typically under 800 and are stiffer and cheap.
I got my 153 down under 14kg(30lbs) but I have carbon cranks bars rims Ti pedal axles 1x no chain guide needed etc... Spent loads basically.
Biggest single weight loss was the cranks. But the one that made the bike feel lightest is the carbon wheels.
Kona didn't skimp on the amount of metal in these frames did they

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 6:51 Quote
Im sitting at 28.5lbs with xx1 crank, enve m70, maxxis dhf and dhr rear, biggest improvement was the wheels that knocked 585g off, that's coming off of WTB i35's. I would pick up a aluminum xo1 (gxp) single ring crank (cheap), research One up for your rear gearing, also affordable, maybe some sram wheels with 350 hubs, ditch the mrp bash-chainguide, cause that thing is heavy with the steel backplate, go with a black spire instead. Install 180mm on front disk, the 200 is just overkill. That should get you under 30lbs no problem.

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 12:29 Quote
What I read: here is my bike, it's really heavy, don't wanna change any parts, how do I make it lighter...

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 6:28 Quote
Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna try and pick up a crankset on the cheap. I'll change out some other parts, Im just trying to wear them out firtst

Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 3:35 Quote
Lighter wheels will make the biggest difference on the scale and in ride quality as rotational weight is felt more in the bikes handling and pedaling. If it were me, I would wait on the crank until the bottom bracket needs servicing, and find/piece together a light wheel set.

Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 11:26 Quote
Switch to 1X with the new crank, ditch the chain guide.

Ditch the electricians tape & tubes and switch to heli tape.

Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 11:28 Quote
eshew wrote:

Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 13:34 Quote
eshew wrote:

I've had the best luck with foam griptape and that stuff is pretty damn light. I might try out this heli tape though, does it quiet the chain down as well as a tube?

Posted: Aug 21, 2017 at 6:25 Quote
I second the drivetrain switch. I know you already said "no" but by far the cheapest way to lose the weight will be switch to a 1x and carbon cranks. Total upgrade could be around $1000. Carbon wheels would be almost twice that.

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 10:23 Quote
Looks like you can go 1x with 11 speed for about $250 at Jenson. That's with full XT, SRAM chain and $50 1x ring. Assuming your rear cassette is Shimano compatible and not a driver.

Posted: Sep 6, 2017 at 12:27 Quote
Im gonna order a new wheelset soon. Im wondering if I should go SRAM or Shimano 1x.

All said and done; which one is lighter? I've also considered Sram cassette with XT shifter/der

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022688
Mobile Version of Website