Fox Float X2

Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 4:59 Quote
Does the 2018 Fox float x2 come in metric sizing? I'd like to put one on a Commencal Supreme SX


Thanks

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 6:10 Quote
You should already be able to order them (not sure about delivery, depending on size I guess?), as they are already out for the Meta V4.2 which is already in metric size.

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 8:18 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
You should already be able to order them (not sure about delivery, depending on size I guess?), as they are already out for the Meta V4.2 which is already in metric size.


This may be a dumb question but I don't see any travel options. I want 180mm. How do I select travel size. Shock length is 230 x 65

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 8:31 Quote
Well you would need a 230x65 shock, the 180mm of travel of the bike are "independant" on the shock travel. As long as you get a shock in that size, you'll be fine. Problem may be to find the shock from Fox (you'll have to speak with a Fox dealer for a quote on the price and availability)



(I put independant within quotes because one is deeply linked to the other, with the ratio between the wheel travel and the shock stroke, but it is strongly illadvised to use a shock with a different length/stroke unless you know exactly what you want and what you are doing Wink )

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 8:39 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
Well you would need a 230x65 shock, the 180mm of travel of the bike are "independant" on the shock travel. As long as you get a shock in that size, you'll be fine. Problem may be to find the shock from Fox (you'll have to speak with a Fox dealer for a quote on the price and availability)



(I put independant within quotes because one is deeply linked to the other, with the ratio between the wheel travel and the shock stroke, but it is strongly illadvised to use a shock with a different length/stroke unless you know exactly what you want and what you are doing Wink )


Sorry, still a little confused. If I get a shock with the correct size I can adjust it to the desired travel?

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 8:41 Quote
The Supreme SX doesn't have adjustable travel, so I don't really know what you're refering to?


Edit: Oh are you refering to the "3 positions" on the Commencal website? If so, it refers to the shock having a 3 position compression setting (the usual locked out, trail and open settings)

But the travel is set to 180mm at the rear wheel, no matter what shock (in the right size) you put.

If you want to keep a kind-of-lockout, you should order the Float X2 with the 2 positions lever.

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 8:54 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
The Supreme SX doesn't have adjustable travel, so I don't really know what you're refering to?


Edit: Oh are you refering to the "3 positions" on the Commencal website? If so, it refers to the shock having a 3 position compression setting (the usual locked out, trail and open settings)

But the travel is set to 180mm at the rear wheel, no matter what shock (in the right size) you put.

If you want to keep a kind-of-lockout, you should order the Float X2 with the 2 positions lever.


Let me try and be as simple as possible. When I order the shock, how do I know if it is 180mm?

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 9:04 Quote
The shock is NOT 180mm. The shock is 230mm long, with a travel of 65mm. Which is the 230x65. 180mm is the travel of the frame.

Other than that, I'm out of answers :/

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 9:12 Quote
Thanks that helps a lot! So as long as I buy the correct length, it will fit the frame and give me the amount of travel I want?

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 9:30 Quote
EFISCHER wrote:
Thanks that helps a lot! So as long as I buy the correct length, it will fit the frame and give me the amount of travel I want?

Yes!

Although you'll have to take into account the shock hardware sizes:
30 x 8 mm / 20 x 8 mm

So basically a 230x65 metric shock, with 30x8 and 20x8 hardware (for Fox shocks, it's just a matter of putting the right spacers and thru axle in the bushings, really easy). And with that, you'll be just fine.


One thing though, if you plan to buy just the frame, you should wait until they add the frame to the "à la carte" program, which allows you to pick some parts (sometimes at really good prices, sometimes at really not interesting prices ...), including the shock (which will have the right size and hardware for the frame).

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 10:00 Quote
Ok, I'm not planning on buying until this winter. If I do end up ordering the shock it will come with the correct mounting hardware correct?

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 at 8:35 Quote
Is thete some good simple detailed video how to setup float x2 I mean LSR/HSR and LSC/HSC?
I'm new user of that shock and honestly I don't exactly understand how to feel that some settings are bettet than others.
For example, LSR - 6 clicks or 7 clicks, etc..

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 0:07 Quote
One question about settings (I still can't set it in best):
what to change if bike throws me up every time on line of roots and small rocks?
I shoul dial LSR/HSR more to closed position (almost fully clockwise) so shock would return slowlier, right?





p.s. sorry for bad english.

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 2:04 Quote
EFISCHER wrote:
Ok, I'm not planning on buying until this winter. If I do end up ordering the shock it will come with the correct mounting hardware correct?

All rear shox comes without mounting hardware.

For your frame, this is the rear shox part no. 973-01-203. 230 x 65 Metric
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=95277

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 2:17 Quote
ka81 wrote:
One question about settings (I still can't set it in best):
what to change if bike throws me up every time on line of roots and small rocks?
I shoul dial LSR/HSR more to closed position (almost fully clockwise) so shock would return slowlier, right?
p.s. sorry for bad english.

try adjusting LSR 1 click at a time towards closed position.

ka81 wrote:
Is thete some good simple detailed video how to setup float x2 I mean LSR/HSR and LSC/HSC?
I'm new user of that shock and honestly I don't exactly understand how to feel that some settings are bettet than others.
For example, LSR - 6 clicks or 7 clicks, etc..

Adjust air preload to get recommended sag setting of your bike.
What I always do is find out the total clicks on all dials.
Click half of the total, ie 10clicks total / 2 then start riding.
Adjust accordingly, 1 click at a time. Try to ride the same trail till you get your base tune.
Adjust LSR/LSC as desired. HSC/HSR is simpler to adjust.

Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z9wzS_6NXM

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005868
Mobile Version of Website