Is full suspension worth it?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Is full suspension worth it?
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 25, 2017 at 20:07 Quote
Two words: "Hell yes!"; but don't waste money on a crappy suspension design, a few of the very cheap ones are nothing more than just attaching a shock absorber to a lever.

Posted: Aug 26, 2017 at 7:22 Quote
I agree. I road 10 hard miles yesterday on my Altitude, and I was exhausted but not sore at all. Same ride on my Element with less travel would have produced some soreness, but with a hardtail I would be hurting. The original poster is a teenager and bulletproof though.

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 15:44 Quote
I'm 23. I've ridden full squish since I was probably your age, but always had a bmx for dirt jumps and whatnot. I built up an aggressive hardtail two years ago and have since sold my Specialized Enduro cause I never touch it anymore.

The trails here are extremely rocky and rooty, a lot of climbing with short descents, I always struggled on my Enduro and didn't feel like I was ever getting any better. I built my hardtail with the whole idea of being "that guy" around here, and since then I'm constantly pushing myself to ride harder every time I hit some trails. I've definitely improved majorly since I built it, and I've never had so much fun riding.

Last year I did my first few races on my hardtail with the whole thought in my mind that most people are going to destroy me in times but I just wanted to see how much better I had gotten and have always been a competitive person. I came in 4th out of about 30.

Keep the hardtail, ride the shit out of it. If anything just for the faces on your friends when you start riding faster than they do. Wink

Posted: Oct 1, 2021 at 10:37 Quote
Mountain bikes have suspension to keep you in control of the quality of your ride while traversing the road. However, not all mountain bikes have the same suspension features. A full-suspension mountain bike, for example, has a front suspension fork and a rear shock, whereas a hardtail mountain bike does not have a rear shock.

Posted: Oct 1, 2021 at 11:31 Quote
Some gravel bikes now off suspensions, but with very limited travel. The trade off is weight and maintenance. My 1999 RM Element only has 80/90mm travel, the new Element has 130/120 and 29” wheels. The new bike will definitely be a better ride on trails, but weighs about 4 lbs more than mine. I still don’t understand hardtails with 160 mm forks. For me, 150-160 front and 130-150 rear is perfect, but 160/0 makes no sense.

Posted: Oct 1, 2021 at 12:20 Quote
dddd4 wrote:
Mountain bikes have suspension to keep you in control of the quality of your ride while traversing the road. However, not all mountain bikes have the same suspension features. A full-suspension mountain bike, for example, has a front suspension fork and a rear shock, whereas a hardtail mountain bike does not have a rear shock.

Alexa, turn necrothreading off

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013717
Mobile Version of Website