How often do you add air to your shock?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How often do you add air to your shock?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 7:38 Quote
I run my rear shock chock full o' air (~300psi) - I have to add air every couple of days to keep it there. Normal?

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 7:57 Quote
Before every ride so that I don't ride my bikes like a chopper.

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 8:25 Quote
never. i have a coil. #coilsftw

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 8:57 Quote
lutetium wrote:
I run my rear shock chock full o' air (~300psi) - I have to add air every couple of days to keep it there. Normal?
No, it shouldn't need refilling more than once a month. Is it getting softer (sagging more) or are you just reconnecting the pump, seeing a lower psi and assuming the shock is losing air?

If the shock is losing air, buy an air seal kit and service it. (or take it to a shop)

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 12:42 Quote
My monarch rarely needed more air (top up once every 1 - 2 months) until a few weeks ago after an uplift day, when it started losing pressure during rides and need topping up before every ride. A £16 service kit sorted it, took about an hour while watching au tube vid. It'll be more like 30 mins next time.

Might be worth checking your air valve is tight, use a valve removal tool to check - they can leak from there. Although when was it last serviced.

Rockshox say service every 50 hours use. Mine did a good 18 months x 15 hours a month so nearly 300 hours, so I can't complain.

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 13:47 Quote
Notice the sag and confirm with the pump gauge.

Shock is new to me, but came attached to a 2011 frame. So probably due for some TLC.

thanks for the feedback. I'll get the kit and tear it apart.

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 14:16 Quote
My Fox Float-R on my 1999 Rocky Mountain Element started leaking air several years ago. At first I added air once a month or so, eventually I needed to carry a shock pump with me because I never knew when the air would leak. I couldn't find a seal kit for a shock this old, so I bought a new DNM shock a couple years ago off Amazon for $80. Works great, never need to add air, and has a lock-out (a feature the Float-R didn't have). On the front, I have the original Marzocch Bomber 80mm and never add air. It has been abused for almost 2 decades and still going strong. If I can ever break it, I will replace it with something with more travel.....Don

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017854
Mobile Version of Website