24" dj or a 26"

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
24" dj or a 26"
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 15:55 Quote
I ride bmx trails and other jumps and I'm looking for something more stable but still easy to throw around. It seems 24" isnt so popular. And you also have to run forks for a 26" wheel, so you end up with a big gap?
so what I want to know is if it is worth going for a 24" or not. I'm also still growing and im likely to reach 6ft, probably no more than that.

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 15:58 Quote
chesterhilly wrote:
I ride bmx trails and other jumps and I'm looking for something more stable but still easy to throw around. It seems 24" isnt so popular. And you also have to run forks for a 26" wheel, so you end up with a big gap?
so what I want to know is if it is worth going for a 24" or not. I'm also expected to grow to about 6ft, probably no more than that.

I would get a 26. 24 is going to be way too small for you if this is a bike you want to grow into. Also, you do not have to run a suspension fork with a 26. There are options out there for a rigid fork.

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 18:06 Quote
chesterhilly wrote:
so what I want to know is if it is worth going for a 24" or not. I'm also still growing and im likely to reach 6ft, probably no more than that.
26 definitely

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 22:56 Quote
chesterhilly wrote:

I also came from a BMX background and am 6'1". I rode 20" and 24" for a long time before coming to 26" DJ-MTB. My opinion is that if you're trying to throw tricks like 360's, tailwhips etc. on smaller & steeper gap jumps, or if you ride tight-transition skateparks a lot, then yes 24"s are better than 26"s. . . . . But, if you're riding bigger, taller, longer jumps, and you don't care quite as much about spinning tricks, then 26"s are great, especially at your height.

24" wheels do not necessarily mean a smaller frame. many 24"s are "youth" MTB's, but some are not. there are DJ-MTB's out there with the exact dimensions for adults, but engineered around 24" wheels. do not confuse with "youth" bikes.

i know these bikes are a little dated, but they still illustrate the point. both frames have a 22" top tube. on both frames, the "reach" is similar. a 24" will typically have a different bottom bracket to axles relationship though. so the rider is standing higher. also the fork might tend to be lower (80mm travel or rigid). meaning that if you're 6 feet tall, a 24"--even if an adult oriented street/park/DJ bike, it could feel smaller. as a result, some 24" riders end up having much taller stem and handlebars.

With 24"s, it's not just wheel size. You can get a shorter back end; you also typically get a higher bottom bracket relative to axle level. This is more compatible with high street bunnyhops etc. Note that Danny McAskill's street trials bikes were 24" wheel. Def something to be said for 24"s. Yet . . . as a taller guy that wanted a more flowy dirt jump experience, 26"s were great. 24"s made me lean too far down and forward. In the Slopestyle and Downhill world, NO ONE rides 24"s except kids. It's all 26" and 27.5".

photo

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 14:32 Quote
Thanks for the replies, I liked the idea of 24 because I should still be able to ride big jumps but I wanted to be able to move the bike more. Also 24 wheels should be stronger, less weight and maybe cheaper.

Jimmy Pratt rides a 24 dmr sect frame which made me want to do the same because I also want the same frame.

I think 26 is probably going to be my choice

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.042926
Mobile Version of Website