Rattle inside rim

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rattle inside rim
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 12:06 Quote
Hi

I put a new tire on my rear wheel. I used 3-4 oz of tubeless fluid (used a measuring cup), seated the tire, put about 40 psi in, shook/rotated/tilted the tire to coat the insides with the fluid, and let it sit overnight. There was a slow leak (there was less pressure in the morning), but I didn't have time to do anything about it before leaving on a small trip. I took a handheld bike pump with me and just pumped the tire up when necessary.

When we got back, I left the bike for a few days and the tire had really low pressure after that. I thought that maybe since the tire was new, there wouldn't be enough fluid inside after the entire inside of the tire was coated. I took the tire off the rim, and there was enough fluid in there. It was slightly brown, and it looked okay to me, just maybe a bit dirty. To be safe I emptied the tire and put new clean fluid in, this time about 5 oz (more than required). I put everything back together and filled it up again.

This time, I found a hole in the tread area. I put the hole location on the bottom and the fluid sealed the hole no problem. I put 40 psi in and was shaking the fluid around, and there was a rattle inside the tire. I didn't want to take it all apart again so I put it aside and went to do some small repairs on the bike. My work area isn't the cleanest, and I wondered how much problem a small pebble or something inside the tire could cause. Maybe whatever was in the hole in the tread area got pushed inside.

Later I decided that I didn't want whatever is causing the rattle to cause a problem during a ride so I took the tire off again. I felt around inside the fluid (Stan's) inside the tire and couldn't find any pebbles, bits of glass, or anything. I rotated the wheel and tire, with the tire half off, watching the fluid flow around, still looking for a small object, I still heard the rattle, and came to the conclusion that the rattle is inside the rim itself. I put everything back together and put 50 psi in. When I rotate the wheel, the rattle is still there.

The rim is a Helix TR 27. I can find some data on this rim online but can't find the rim profile for this rim specifically. But other rims from the same company have an empty channel inside the rim.

I checked the spoke tension all around the wheel just with my fingers. I got the bike used last year (2015 Rocky Mountain Altitude 750 MSL) and there is small maintenance needed here and there, and some spokes are slightly loose. But if there are loose spokes, would there be anything inside that channel? All the nuts at the end of each spoke are present, extending from the rim towards the centre of the wheel.

Assuming the tire is airtight after this last seating, will the rattle inside the rim cause a problem? Is the rattle an indicator of something serious? What could be in there?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 20:35 Quote
Rims are often pinned at the seem (opposite the valve). This might be your problem. you likely won't hear it while riding unless moving slowly and listening for it. Next time you have the tire off you could squirt a little silicone in the spoke hole, depending on the rim design this might silence it.

Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 23:48 Quote
So it's just a source of noise, and if I just leave it, it won't cause a problem or failure with the bike, and won't interrupt a ride? If it's just noise and won't cause a problem, I'll just leave it.

Posted: Aug 14, 2017 at 7:42 Quote
If that is indeed what's making your noise it should cause you no problem

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 19:11 Quote
Could be a stray nipple inside the rim from when it was built.

Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 1:31 Quote
Thanks guys. I'm just going to leave it. I appreciate your help!

Posted: Sep 10, 2017 at 20:29 Quote
Glad I saw this thread. I was pulling my hair out trying to find a pebble inside my tire today after pulling a wheel off an old parts bike I had!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015255
Mobile Version of Website