Need wife friendly bike park recommendations - Colorado

PB Forum :: USA - Rockies & Midwest
Need wife friendly bike park recommendations - Colorado
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 12:20 Quote
Hey, need the collective wisdom -

Wife and I are renting an RV and road tripping around CO for a week - I want to hit one of the fabled bike parks for a day and tear it up.

Buy ticket and go, simples??

She doesn't ride, and we have two dogs - one is quite young (can't run for a long time and tires quickly) , so she doesn't want stuck minding them for 6 hrs whilst I have a blast - not really fair on her.

So which of the parks are really close to many wife friendly activities - say a great spa (not too $$$ please) or something that will keep her suitably occupied for at least 4-6 hours, where we can hook up a camper to mains power to keep the AC running and the pups safe, and get me riding some sweet gravity trails.

It'd be cool if there was family friendly trails we could load up dogs in a hired hound around buggy and see a lake or something- might do that for half a day too.

So - hope you guys can help get a brother his Enduro /DH fix

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 14:46 Quote
adamsmtb wrote:
Hey, need the collective wisdom -

Wife and I are renting an RV and road tripping around CO for a week - I want to hit one of the fabled bike parks for a day and tear it up.

Buy ticket and go, simples??

She doesn't ride, and we have two dogs - one is quite young (can't run for a long time and tires quickly) , so she doesn't want stuck minding them for 6 hrs whilst I have a blast - not really fair on her.

So which of the parks are really close to many wife friendly activities - say a great spa (not too $$$ please) or something that will keep her suitably occupied for at least 4-6 hours, where we can hook up a camper to mains power to keep the AC running and the pups safe, and get me riding some sweet gravity trails.

It'd be cool if there was family friendly trails we could load up dogs in a hired hound around buggy and see a lake or something- might do that for half a day too.

So - hope you guys can help get a brother his Enduro /DH fix

I guess this is two different topics--what is the raddest bike park to check out, and what is the best destination as far as your wife is concerned (Non-Bike Activities).

1) Bike Park: a) Trestle / Winter Park b) Keystone c) Steamboat

2) Non-Bike Activities: Hard to say. My main advice is check the various calendars of events that may be going on. A lot of these towns have festivals, like wine tasting, theater, whatever, to attract tourism.
http://www.steamboatchamber.com/calendar
http://www.playwinterpark.com/featured-events

This is a thread I started a long time ago. It might help for some visuals.
http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/68-dh-urban-trials-bmx-dirt-jumping/90258-vail-keystone-winter-park.html

I would suggest Trestle Bike Park at Winter Park. Someone may disagree with me, but my impression is that it is still second only to Whistler, in terms of bike park terrain. I'm not a Colorado local, but I've been to Trestle 4 different summers (and a few times for skiing/snowboarding), Vail, Steamboat, Keystone, and Granby Ranch.

As far as stuff for your wife to do, the base area up at the mountain is a couple miles up the highway from the actual main town of Winter Park. The base area has several restaurants; I think it does have a massage studio. But, probably not a lot else. Down in the town, there would be shopping, etc.

It's possible that the base town at Vail has more stuff, but several years ago when I went, the bike park was less developed than Winter Park. It may be different now.

Keystone has an excellent bike park, but if I remember right, it's not close to a town, so your wife would have less to do.

Steamboat is also worth hitting up. The town also has a lot going on. There's rafting, kayaking, etc. as well as a hot springs place that people visit at night.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/cmc4130/album/Steamboat/

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008467
Mobile Version of Website