building a downhill bike

PB Forum :: Downhill
building a downhill bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 14, 2017 at 9:31 Quote
ive been riding hardtails for 3 years now and recently one of my friends gave me a santa cruz blurr 1 frame thought it would be a good chance to build a bike. Since im new to downhill i dont really know what parts will work best and i dont want to just throwing money at this thing. Any suggestions on forks, brakes , shock anything really that will help me out?

Posted: Aug 14, 2017 at 21:42 Quote
Riendeau67 wrote:
ive been riding hardtails for 3 years now and recently one of my friends gave me a santa cruz blurr 1 frame thought it would be a good chance to build a bike. Since im new to downhill i dont really know what parts will work best and i dont want to just throwing money at this thing. Any suggestions on forks, brakes , shock anything really that will help me out?
The Santa Cruz Blur is not a DH frame but you can definitely build a trail bike with it. you can get away with using the old parts that you have from your hardtail (swapping it onto the blur frame) I think the rear drop outs are the same with your hardtail unless its boost. You would probably need a shock unless your friend gave you one.

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 8:09 Quote
Which one?

The 4x 1 seems decently DH'ish with its slack HT..

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/archive/bike/blur

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 8:19 Quote
How much do you want to spend? because the sky's the limit here.

If you just have a bare frame, you are going to need to source a rear shock first, then a fork/headset.

Once you have found a fork, then you can look for a wheel set.

Building a bike from a bare frame up, has the potential to be very expensive. So just look for deals, or what what ever used/free component that you can score.

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 8:20 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Which one?

68.5 is pretty steep

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 16:41 Quote
Mynameisjeff wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Which one?

68.5 is pretty steep
Yeah its trail/xc range

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 17:14 Quote
False wrote:
Mynameisjeff wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Which one?

68.5 is pretty steep
Yeah its trail/xc range

Haters gona hate

10 years ago, it wouldn't have been that bad

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 17:21 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
False wrote:
Mynameisjeff wrote:

68.5 is pretty steep
Yeah its trail/xc range

Haters gona hate

You can definitely use it for light dh stuff. just not massive stuff

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 17:30 Quote
False wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
False wrote:

Yeah its trail/xc range

Haters gona hate

photo

2006 Foes 2:1 ..... 68 degree HT. as an example ....

The HT is NOT the defining factor in how "massive" you can go.... you guys are f*cking drinking the cool aid right from the tap.

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 17:38 Quote
I won't argue that modern bikes are amazing, and handel significantly better (among other things). Advancements in suspension designs., material and manufacturing have been huge when it comes to weight and longevity ... but come on

There is a dude who go a bike and he is stoked to give it a go. Are there better bikes? yes, are there cheaper and easier options? probably yes.

Can a 10 y/o bike with a 68 degree HT still ride downhills? f*ck yes it can.

I rode a single crown park bike with 68 degree HT from 2008 to 2011, and never once considered that a slacker bike would make me go bigger or faster. In the vast majority of cases, the bike is not the limiting factor. the rider is.

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 17:42 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
I won't argue that modern bikes are amazing, and handel significantly better (among other things). Advancements in suspension designs., material and manufacturing have been huge when it comes to weight and longevity ... but come on

There is a dude who go a bike and he is stoked to give it a go. Are there better bikes? yes, are there cheaper and easier options? probably yes.

I rode a single crown park bike with 68 degree HT from 2008 to 2011, and never once considered that a slacker bike would make me go bigger or faster. In the vast majority of cases, the bike is not the limiting factor. the rider is.
I ride a 10 year old bike with a 67 degree angle. the headtube doesn't impact the riding much, the linkage does. the blur's linkage isn't designed for dh its made for trail riding, give it time and enough abuse it will crack, but any bike will do that anyway. Nothing is stopping you. Build that bike!

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 17:51 Quote
False wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:

I ride a 10 year old bike with a 67 degree angle. the headtube doesn't impact the riding much, the linkage does. the blur's linkage isn't designed for dh its made for trail riding, give it time and enough abuse it will crack, but any bike will do that anyway. Nothing is stopping you. Build that bike!

Excellent point ... I Am loosing focus. true story, the blur isn't really designed to be full on DH.

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 22:27 Quote
Mynameisjeff wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Which one?

68.5 is pretty steep

Ah, so you didn't see the others on the page .

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 22:30 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
False wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:

Haters gona hate

photo

The HT is NOT the defining factor in how "massive" you can go.... you guys are f*cking drinking the cool aid right from the tap.

There's one model of the Blur that looks remotely DHish, maybe pull your head out of your pooper

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 22:56 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
False wrote:

photo

It looks enduroish

There's one model of the Blur that looks remotely DHish, maybe pull your head out of your pooper

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012004
Mobile Version of Website