Giant Anthem Advanced 1 2018

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Anthem Advanced 1 2018
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 5:13 Quote
Just picked up a 2018 Anthem Advanced 1 in XL and loving it after the first ride on the granite slickrock of Nova Scotia.

I bought the bike as a daily ride (my 2015 Nomad was way too much for the trails we have here in KL, Malaysia) and the 110/130 combo makes it a pretty sweet XC trail bike.

I haven't had a XC bike in decades but this felt so much better than the last one I was on Smile with a stem that's half as long.

I weigh 210 at 6'4" wanted something solid rather than ultra light. Parts are solid and you could easily lose more weight with some minor upgrades. Weight is ~12.5kg (xl, 27.5lb) with flat pedals, dropper (150mm as standard), and bash guard/retainer.

The Matt gray/orange looks great and looking forward to getting out on it again at the weekend on my local trails.

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 8:05 Quote
Sweet bike! Do you have more feedback? Thinking of this bike or the Anthem Adv. 29er Pro 1.

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 18:56 Quote
Ridden it a few more times on my usual trails. I haven't set the rear suspension up exactly as the standard rates seem pretty good but only getting 85% travel and still feels great. That would be close to the travel of the 29er version. Handles the tech really well for an xc bike. On trail handling is snappy and tech climbing is great and easy to change your line. It jumps well and it's balance is great.

Last 29ers I rode felt a little lifeless (Norco HT and spin on friends hightower) and I really like the manners of the 27.5. I really fits what I was looking for xc trail kinda bike. Parts all solid and only thing it's missing is the kashima gold coating so can't fault any of the parts at all.

Really happy with it and don't think 27.5/29 really matters that much as your still the engine.

Great value and all solid parts. As a larger older rider I don't want part failures so happy to give up some weight for strength.

Sorry can't comment more on the 29er version but so far this bike has been awesome.

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 1:29 Quote
Was also gonna say my main ride for the last 2 years had been a V3 Nomad and it had been an easy switch to the Giant. Reach is about the same and I'd say the feel on the trail is similar; easy to lift the front wheel, good balance on the downs but much better climber and way more control climbing. At slow speed the Giant is as expected more nimble than the nomad but on the downs (on our XC kinda trails here) your not missing out on anything. Nomad is kinda overkill for the trails we have here but 'enduro' bikes are all the rage in Malaysia.

May not help the 27 vs 29 decision but it clearly it is a well designed and though out bike.

Posted: Sep 15, 2017 at 8:31 Quote
Great review! I'm coming off a 2015 XTC adv 27.5. Very snappy and playful. Hard on the body after 1 hour of racing.

Looking for a XC full suspension as some of our rides are rooty and rocky, more trail like than XC. Not getting full on trail bike though. Camp Fortune in Canada aka Canada Cup that no one goes to because it's too technical (that's what I've heard). I really enjoyed the Pivot Mach429SL.

Posted: Sep 15, 2017 at 21:48 Quote
yup remember riding there years ago on a Cannondale HT with a headshox! .... I have run the bike full lock out on some of the trails here and to be honest there is enough give and still feels like a HT. The longer fork (130mm) makes it feel a little more relaxed that a pure XC bike so may work well at CF. I gave it a blast through some of the granite slickrock when I was back in Nova Scotia for the summer and was great....

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018079
Mobile Version of Website