how many times have you smashed your face?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
how many times have you smashed your face?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 22:17 Quote
Been riding on Vancouvers North Shore for 2 years now, where they build the trails out of rocks, and i'm a little surprised not to see more people wearing a full face. These are fireroad up, downhill down, mostly black diamond trails.

I had been wearing my half shell until I smacked my head off a rock last year and just barely missed my face. Gotten much better since then and the trails are getting easier to ride, so i'm always jealous of the people riding in a half lid. Then today I ride a new trail and zig when I should have zagged. Slam on the brakes and do a little OTB tip over, which normally isn't a big deal except for landing chest first on a football sized rock. If that had been my face in a half shell it would have made for a very long day.

Thoughts?

Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 6:42 Quote
Um just ride full face?

Just because everyone else is doing it, doesnt mean you have too.. I mean 6th grade was a LONG time ago..

Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 6:42 Quote
(Im not about to lose teeth become of some bullshit vanity)

Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 6:44 Quote
Can always get a better helmet too, a convertible, with removable chin bar (Bell, Giro)

Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 6:53 Quote
There should have been something in there about how after I smacked my head last year I started wearing my full face all the time. But it's a pain to slog up, a pain on the pedally bits, and I get sooo jealous of everyone who's not wearing one. I find myself thinking maybe I don't really need to wear it. Then yesterday I body slam a football sized rock with my chest and realize it just as easily could have been my face.

Just looking for some good stories about people not wearing one and regretting it. Big Grin

Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 6:59 Quote
Hmm .. you asked for our thoughts, so those are my thoughts..

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 3:32 Quote
Isnt that what they designed those gaybo chin removablehelmets for i.e. Mets offering

Posted: Aug 26, 2017 at 23:00 Quote
Simple rule of thumb: If ya dropper post sees a lot of action on ya ride, wear a half lid. If not, strap a FF to ya pack, slog up, put lid on snd decend. Repeat until tired.
I have smashed my face many times, but only while in my FF. Thank F#@k!

Posted: Aug 26, 2017 at 23:11 Quote
Also, it depends how pretty ya face is. If ya look like Sloth from the Goonies, then rock a half lid. However if , like me, you look like the love child of Adonis and Aphrodite's, a FF is a must.

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 0:11 Quote
Lol. Well I'm definitely not the prettiest and wouldn't hesitate to eat a face full of dirt. Problem is they basically build north shore trails out of rocks. I'd say less than 1/4 of riders carry a full face lid up. I've had 2 bad crashes in the last 2 years and didn't hit my face, but just as easily could of.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009057
Mobile Version of Website