2012 GT Fury rear cassette replacement, What are options to Upgrade to stronger unit?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
2012 GT Fury rear cassette replacement, What are options to Upgrade to stronger unit?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 20:31 Quote
One of the cogs got bent on the cassette so I will need to replace it. Since it happened I'd like to upgrade to something stronger in every way.

I've never taken the cassette off before and any shop/mech manual that is associated with the bike is impossible to find.

This thread partially addresses a problem. https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=161368 but I'm still not sure if there is an option to swap to something with stronger cogs.

(I'm used to motorcycles where you can get a shop manual and literally strip a bike with instructions and torque specs, makes it real nice to work on).

What are my options as far as replacement? Can I keep the hub and and swap to something else?

Thanks!

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 15:54 Quote
That depends on which cassette you have now. How many speeds is your current cassette? Bending a cassette tooth/cog isn't super common or something that always means you need a better cassette. But I'm sure there are upgrades available once we determine your current setup.

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 21:41 Quote
It is the stock setup, 9 speed. Not sure what it is. Ive read on here (I think) that the freehub is actually a salsa mukluk (branded GT's in house "All Terra")

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 at 12:23 Quote
Teeff wrote:
It is the stock setup, 9 speed. Not sure what it is. Ive read on here (I think) that the freehub is actually a salsa mukluk (branded GT's in house "All Terra")

If it's a stock setup, you should have a SRAM PG-950.

If you're trying to stay within Sram, you could move up to the PG-970, 980, or 990.

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 at 14:13 Quote
Also look for Shimano XT, basically the standard as far as cassettes go - durable, light, not too expensive.
Check your current cassette to see what the largest and smallest cogs are. If you're happy with your current gearing, see if you can get a new one with the same cogs (say 11-34t).

Posted: Aug 26, 2017 at 7:00 Quote
He might not want that full range cassette for a dh bike. His rear mech nay not support it

Posted: Aug 26, 2017 at 13:31 Quote
cortosis2009 wrote:
He might not want that full range cassette for a dh bike. His rear mech nay not support it
If the OP chooses to leave out an important detail like that, they deserve my inaccurate advice...

Posted: Aug 26, 2017 at 14:35 Quote
brianl wrote:
cortosis2009 wrote:
If the OP chooses to leave out an important detail like that, they deserve my inaccurate advice...

Well he said it's the stock cassette. His bike came with a narrow range

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 at 20:51 Quote
I ended up leaving it all on there. I managed to tweak the slightly bent one back a bit and it's been shifting and working fine. I will leave the replacement till the off season.

Cortosis2009, you are correct the pg-950 it is.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Five-New-2012-GT-Bikes,2495/2012-GT-Fury-Alloy-1-0,22523/bturman,109

according to specs it does have the mid size cage.

Thanks for the input guys.

Posted: Oct 26, 2017 at 15:15 Quote
Got the PG990 on the way!

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013162
Mobile Version of Website