29er stem

PB Forum :: 29ers
29er stem
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 1:30 Quote
Hi can any one help me? I am looking for a shorter stem for my specialized enduro comp. The question is do I have to put a negative rises stem on? I am sure I read or seen that 29er has to have negative rise stem!

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 1:34 Quote
Jasethepace wrote:
Hi can any one help me? I am looking for a shorter stem for my specialized enduro comp. The question is do I have to put a negative rises stem on? I am sure I read or seen that 29er has to have negative rise stem!

That really depends on how much stack you want, and if you have tall riser bars, but on a short stem it wouldn't normally matter that much.

You could just use a tape measure and find out if you need it or not, measure height from ground to bars and subtract height from ground to bb, there's your actual stack height.

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 8:52 Quote
If you put a shorter stem on the bike you'll loose some reach, if you're running a negative stem now, you'll loose more reach. If you have spacers under the stem you can get some back. Same with wider bars. I run a 35mm stem on my 29er. No issues.

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 13:24 Quote
It's just I keep reading that a shorter stem makes a big difference to handling on a 29er

O+
Posted: Sep 8, 2017 at 9:51 Quote
Jasethepace wrote:
It's just I keep reading that a shorter stem makes a big difference to handling on a 29er

There's a lot more to it than just slapping on a shorter stem. A lot depends on the bike and rider.

I run 60mm and 720mm bars on both my bikes. Works for me and I see no benefit to going shorter.

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 11:58 Quote
I run a 35mm long stem (with only a 2mm spacer between headset and stem) and 10mm rise bars on my 2014 Enduro Comp 29.

Short stem helps with handling and keeping weight over back of the bike during descents. Minimal stem spacers and low-rise bars help keep the cockpit low (cockpit was too tall for my liking with more stem spacers and 25mm rise bars).

I toyed with the idea of running a 6 degree rise stem flipped upside down to provide some drop but I'm happy with my current setup.

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 14:04 Quote
I'm struggling with this right now. I had a stem with 35mm reach and I didn't have enough weight forward to feel comfortable at all. Now I'm running a 55 and probably going to end up at 60 before I'm completely happy. Handling and balance got much better.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011334
Mobile Version of Website