Need some help picking out a Steel, Rigid - 29er

PB Forum :: 29ers
Need some help picking out a Steel, Rigid - 29er
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 11:00 Quote
Howdy!

I recently sold my On On Inbred Summer Session - 26 specific.

Loved the bike. Steel frame, great geo (except for the slack head tube, which is why I sold it) , rack bungs welded in if I choose to use it in the city, and overall awesome.

It was too heavy, though, the way I had it set up, and I think it was time to change to a 29er, and thus, I sold it complete. (Stupidly, but whatever)

So now I am hunting for something specific. My list of needs:

- Steel Frame (and fork, if complete)
- Discs
- Gear ready (no ss- specific please)
- Can be setup light enough to use on light trails AND around town on the paths (max 10-15km on the pavement per ride) - I'd be fine if I could run 1.95 tires etc

Here is the trouble: I DO NOT for the LIFE of my know any manufacturers that make a budget friendly setup like that.

The only thing I REALLY fell in love with, price and looks, was the Haro Mary 1x9.

Sadly none of those around anymore.

My Short list would be:

Haro Mary 1x9
SIR Niner
Voodoo Dambala (if I can find a cheap one)
Surly Karate Monkey
On One Inbred 29er (but that would be reverting back to what I had)
KHS Solo 29er (if I made a derailleur hanger adapter, as I have access to the machinery)
Kona Unit 2-9 (the older ones, without the gooseneck downtube)
???

That should give you an idea of what I am after... I think? Basically no frills, not too massive, all steel, simple and can handle some XC/light trail.

So I was curious if anyone could maybe recommend some options for me, to look out for on the used market place here on Pinkbike (or elsewhere)?

I WILL be buying used, 100%. My budget would be between 500-950 CAD (I know, pathetic, BUT I am not going for carbon everything, or super high end... I mean, come on, a Haro...)

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 at 11:15 Quote
If you can afford a Niner Sir, I'd recommend that all day. I've only gotten to demo it a few times, but I have owned a ROS, which is another steel hardtail with a bigger fork. The SIR is a super fun bike and can be either geared or single speed, suspension or rigid, and can be built surprisingly light,

Posted: Sep 6, 2017 at 9:17 Quote
Love my old Niner MCR9. Reynolds 853 tubing throughout, lightweight, geared, classic XC geometry. I'm running it rigid with a Salsa Firestarter steel fork. It's great fun on the trails or around town pulling my kiddo.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008786
Mobile Version of Website