SB5 + Owners

PB Forum :: Yeti
SB5 + Owners
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2017 at 8:40 Quote
Coming off a Pivot Mach 6 and trying to dial in my Yeti. At first I couldn't hold the same lines through the turns on my local loop so I traded the front Rekon for a Minion DHF, then slammed the stem as low as possible, swapped the stock bars for some Thomsen bars with 10mm rise and less sweep. Previously it felt like the front end sat too high.
Next I installed a angle headset from Works components taking the HA from 67.1 degrees to 66.1 and the bike is handling much more to my liking. I was wondering if anyone out there has put a Fox 36 160 mm on a SB5 +

Posted: Oct 19, 2017 at 5:42 Quote
Running 760 bar, 150 fox transfer with wolf tooth remote, maxxis dhf and dhr2 (huck norris insert in rear) & -1 degree WC headset. Everything else stock Med turq XO eagle build.

Bike handles amazing with 15/17 psi.

Update:

Being the tinkering type, I decided to see if my old 7.875x2.25 shock from my 5.5 would work in the 5+ frame since it's the same front triangle and since the shock is the same minus the seal head in the 5+ shock that limits it to 2.0" stroke.

Low and behold, no frame or tire contact issues at full compression with air let out of shock. Also verified smooth operation of switch infinity link even though it wouldn't be affected since it's the same as the 5.5. At full compression, the BB will drop a bit lower, so a bashguide is warranted. Can you say 5+ Lunch Ride Edition Big Grin

Also, for those that see the question and answers on the Yeti website for the 5.5 and 5+ that say they won't take the other size tire is a load of crap. 2.8 + wheel/tire fits in 5.5 and 2.5 29" wheel/tire fits in 5+ comfortably.

Posted: Oct 19, 2017 at 12:21 Quote
I actually haven't changed anything on my bike other than tires (still messing with that) and the dropper (was too tall for me). It's a Large Turq X01. I'm running a Fox Transfer now w/ Wolf Tooth remote, love it.

I have a long torso, so I tend to be really over the bars as it is, I haven't had any problems carving or anything. It is a long thing though, for super super tight switchbacks it can be a little different. I find I swing out more and carve back in. Smile

Posted: Nov 7, 2017 at 6:46 Quote
livlief wrote:
Running 760 bar, 150 fox transfer with wolf tooth remote, maxxis dhf and dhr2 (huck norris insert in rear) & -1 degree WC headset. Everything else stock Med turq XO eagle build.

Bike handles amazing with 15/17 psi.

Update:

Being the tinkering type, I decided to see if my old 7.875x2.25 shock from my 5.5 would work in the 5+ frame since it's the same front triangle and since the shock is the same minus the seal head in the 5+ shock that limits it to 2.0" stroke.

Low and behold, no frame or tire contact issues at full compression with air let out of shock. Also verified smooth operation of switch infinity link even though it wouldn't be affected since it's the same as the 5.5. At full compression, the BB will drop a bit lower, so a bashguide is warranted. Can you say 5+ Lunch Ride Edition Big Grin

Also, for those that see the question and answers on the Yeti website for the 5.5 and 5+ that say they won't take the other size tire is a load of crap. 2.8 + wheel/tire fits in 5.5 and 2.5 29" wheel/tire fits in 5+ comfortably.

Update: swapped to a 160mm air spring shaft assy in the stock plus 34 fork. That combined with the 140mm travel shock and the -1 degree WC headset has made the 5+ a whole new bike. Even more playful and confident with the increased travel and 65.6 HTA in the steep chutes and rock gardens while still having the great climbing and cornering ability with the plus tire traction.

Only a 2lb weight penalty over stock and definitely worth it with the 2.8 Minions, tire insert, headset, my SB5.5's borrowed X2 shock and added oneup bashguide. X2 is definitely not needed, so might just look at 2018 DPS in 2.25" with same tune or have fox rebuild and travel adjust the stock '17 DPS shock for $210.

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2017 at 8:42 Quote
Thanks livlief that’s good info. 5 + Lunch ride is exactly what I’m thinking

Posted: Aug 13, 2018 at 6:51 Quote
[Quote="livlief"]
livlief wrote:

Livlief,

Think the rear triangle from a 5.5 will fit on a SB6? I like the ability to run a 27.5x2.8+ in the rear instead of just 2.5" on the current triangle. Looking at the geometry measurements on yeti's site using a 160mm fork in size medium the chainstay length is 17.2 vs. 17.4 and eff seat tube angle is 73.6 vs. 73.3. Are there other measurements I need to aware of?

Combine it with a 29" boost fork I basically almost have a SB5+/SB5.5 with bigger travel in the front/rear?

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 16:16 Quote
I have owned SB5.5 and SB4.5 and wanted the bike that didnt exist right between the two.

I decided to go down the path of building the SB5 + but with 29" wheels and long fork, basically a SB5 LR with big wheels

Result? The exact bike I was looking for.

The bike seems to have nearly all the plus points of the SB4.5 and SB5.5 without any down side.

To get around the pedal strike issue I experienced a lot with SB4.5 I went with 170mm cranks.

To make the bike perform like two in one package the Rockshox Lyrik 160/130mm 2p was the final piece of the jigsaw.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.053584
Mobile Version of Website