27.5+ Hardtail Recs

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
27.5+ Hardtail Recs
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 8, 2017 at 7:42 Quote
Hey guys, first time poster here. I'm looking to take my next step in my MTB game with a purchase of a new "aggressive HT" I ride mostly single track, with an occasional downhill slopestyle and jump runs. I'm looking for recommendations for a complete bike for $1,500 USD or less. Here's a little of my background:

I raced BMX for 6 years when I was a young lad.

I moved on to the progressive BMX scene for a number of years.

I then quit for a few years while participating in college sports.

After I graduated, I picked up a hard nose 90's 26' MTB and rode that for about 3 years. It gave me the bug.
I've reached the limit of that bike and am sick of getting rattled.

I'm a bigger rider ( 6'1, 275LBS) so I am looking for something with strong wheels, a quality fork, ans possibly steel frame.

I'm looking for the 27.5 wheel size as from the research Ive done, its the best all around size.

I've looked at a few different bikes and really like the price points of the On One 45650b and the Dee Dar (can't decide which is better suited for me). I dont mind an antry level 1x10 or 11 (NX1) as long as the fork is quality since I'm a big reader.

Do you guys recommend any other bikes in that pricepoint?

TL;DR Agressive HT recommendations for a bigger rider with "slacker" HT and air fork for $1500 or less.

Thanks in advance and REALLY love this site.

Posted: Sep 9, 2017 at 9:20 Quote
Surly Instigator 2.0 in size XL having owned one plus they're £1200-1400 new in UK so cheap where you are in $ I'd expect.

It's a 26+ bike but is pretty sorted spec just get rid of slx brakes for guides with bigger rotors.
That'd be sorted plus add a dropper.
= PROPERJOB!

Posted: Sep 10, 2017 at 16:20 Quote
I think I've got it narrowed down to the On One Dee Dar or the Commencal Meta HT. Can\t decide which one I like better.

I REALLY like the cromags stylus, but that is a little off my budget

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 6:38 Quote
Ok guys, I've made my mind (for now) on the dee dar. I talked to one of their representitives and am still unsure what size to order. I am exactly 6 foot tall, with shorter arms and legs (long torso) According to their sizing guide, I techinically fit in to both 17 and 19 inch frames. Which should i chose?

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 12:44 Quote
I'm kind of in the same boat in bike sizing. I tend to lean towards the larger size and swap out to a shorter stem. Unless the standover is waaaay too tight.

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 13:42 Quote
I am 5ft 8 and got the DeeDar in 17 inch. Would go up if you are 6ft.

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 17:43 Quote
ejb3 wrote:
I am 5ft 8 and got the DeeDar in 17 inch. Would go up if you are 6ft.

How do you like it? Is there anything to look out for? Was there any other bikes you were considering before you bought it?

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
Slow board I guess. Was really trying to narrow down between the Commencal Meta HT or the On One Dee Dar.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020389
Mobile Version of Website