Noisy Brakes!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Noisy Brakes!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 11, 2017 at 1:54 Quote
Hello All

I have a Shimano SLX 675 brake set on my bike that is noisier than a virgin on her inauguration day… seriously, the environmentalists are just about to sue me for damages to the forest animals’ earing!

The main problem though is that the braking power is also compromised and only after a power wash and while the brakes are hot and wet you can feel them working as they should.

I’m very careful during maintenance and never use any spray material for lubing or cleaning, but travel a lot with my bike on the car’s roof, is it possible that my discs and pads are getting contaminated from the windshield wipers liquid, for example?

I’m thinking about washing the discs with dish washing detergent and scotch brite and sanding the pads to remove any contaminant, but I would like to hear from you in case you have some better solution.

Cheers

Posted: Sep 11, 2017 at 4:15 Quote
Careca78 wrote:
Hello All

I have a Shimano SLX 675 brake set on my bike that is noisier than a virgin on her inauguration day… seriously, the environmentalists are just about to sue me for damages to the forest animals’ earing!

The main problem though is that the braking power is also compromised and only after a power wash and while the brakes are hot and wet you can feel them working as they should.

I’m very careful during maintenance and never use any spray material for lubing or cleaning, but travel a lot with my bike on the car’s roof, is it possible that my discs and pads are getting contaminated from the windshield wipers liquid, for example?

I’m thinking about washing the discs with dish washing detergent and scotch brite and sanding the pads to remove any contaminant, but I would like to hear from you in case you have some better solution.

Cheers
Just buy new discs, they are quite cheap and put sanding time into more riding Smile

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 8:00 Quote
Buying new discs is not an option... when you're paid in peanuts you become the financially challenged monkey.

I need some miraculous secret recipe to get my braking back in shape again…

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 13:46 Quote
Take the paid out, sand then down. Than clean disk rotors with cleaning alcohol or dick brake cleaner. If the still make noise look into replacing pads not rotors

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 16:34 Quote
You can take the pads out and use a lighter to burn off some of the pad. Some people also oven it. As for the rotors, you can use disk brake cleaner or alcohol.

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 16:45 Quote
I just clean off the rotors with 00 grade steel wool to stop brake noise. Works for me.

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 6:17 Quote
TannerZ wrote:
Take the paid out, sand then down. Than clean disk rotors with cleaning alcohol or dick brake cleaner. If the still make noise look into replacing pads not rotors

+1 Picked up some 400 grit from the dollar store, broke the glaze on both the pads & rotors and cleaned rotors with alcohol. Better than as new! Make sure you are on a flat surface when doing the pads, it doesn't take much force/pressure either.

If pads are extremely contaminated you may need to 'cook' them.

I wash from left side to right to avoid getting any contaminants from the drive train onto the rotors , I wash after every ride, and make sure to give it a few good blasts to dry them off before parking.

Running slx 675 with rt56 rotors and resin pads.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019527
Mobile Version of Website