Best rear brake for trial riding

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Best rear brake for trial riding
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 9:48 Quote
This summer I started doing a lot of trials with my 2 bikes (a full suspensions enduro and a rigid fatbike) and I dont know if it's the use of the rear brake to its full capacity to block the rear wheel and doing back wheels hop, but I broke 4 different caliper in the last 4 months (They lose their power gradually).

1 Shimano Br-M445
1 Shimano Deore M615
1 Shimano SLX M675 (that was brand new and broke after few hours of trial)
1 Shimano SLX M7000 (that was also brand new)

I've been riding now for over 10 years and never had any issue with Shimano brakes, and never had any repeated issue like this... so I assume it's related to riding trial. I dont want to pay more for XT or XTR, because I do not actually need more braking power, I just want something reliable.

Thanks guy for the help
Sorry if I made some mistake, english is not my first language

Posted: Sep 16, 2017 at 5:32 Quote
They're simply not designed for it..

Your probably over stressing/pressuring the system with your Kung Fu grip on it.. squeezing too hard..

Are you running 203mm rotors? If you're using 160s a lot of bikes come with you're getting 1/2 the power/leverage you should be..

You also might want to look at setup for the future, set the levers to stop on the bars at lockup, so you can't over pressure/stress the system..

Without you seeing fluid leaking the only thing I can think is the hose has some how given way and start to flex causing the power to diminish to nothing..

Hope that helps somehow, most the trials guys running rotors like DM and such are running top spec brakes (as you know) not the cheapies

Posted: Sep 17, 2017 at 15:44 Quote
Thanks for the answer !
But yeah, after riding with a professional this week, I also believe that I was unnecessarily pressing too much on the lever (when ''trialing')'.
Rotors are 180 mm
Anyway, i'm now looking for Hope or Maguira brakes

Posted: Sep 30, 2017 at 11:29 Quote
The lower end Shimano Calipers just aren't up to the task of trials. The Saint M820 had a good reputation for trials. A lot of calipers and / or levers from different manufacturers don't seem to last for trials. The way the brakes are loaded are completely different



Aaronz25RS wrote:
You also might want to look at setup for the future, set the levers to stop on the bars at lockup, so you can't over pressure/stress the system..

Eek Do you ride trials? Please don't do this, ever.

Posted: Nov 5, 2017 at 5:32 Quote
wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:
You also might want to look at setup for the future, set the levers to stop on the bars at lockup, so you can't over pressure/stress the system..

Eek Do you ride trials? Please don't do this, ever.

I second that. Never, EVER, do that!!!

Posted: Dec 1, 2017 at 10:00 Quote
I used Shimano Saint on my Inspired, highly recommended! it's also easy to adjust that lever so you're not putting too much stress on them!

Also check out the new range of Magura MT's, designed for trials Smile

Posted: Dec 1, 2017 at 17:12 Quote
Gee-Campbell wrote:
I used Shimano Saint on my Inspired, highly recommended! it's also easy to adjust that lever so you're not putting too much stress on them!

Also check out the new range of Magura MT's, designed for trials Smile

That's not true. The magura MT's are just MTB brakes. They have a brake lever named after Danny Mac which is nice. I'm riding an MT7 and am not sure it's up to the task of trials. I've broken a few already.

Posted: Dec 12, 2017 at 10:49 Quote
I use Hope trial zone brakes and really like them. I’m not a pro but I can do rear wheel hops and other trial moves and have never had an issue with the Hopes.

Posted: Dec 13, 2017 at 13:23 Quote
Thanks for all the answers Cool

I must admit that those Magura MT7 Danny Macaskill Signature tempt me a lot Drool

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 14:40 Quote
My input is based upon the type of riding you want to do

Street: Something like a dual piston xt, hope, magura, formula. I have had horrible experience with everything sram so would not suggest that at all. Same set up for the front brake.

Competition: I have had 23 years of riding trials so I have plenty of experience with all the brakes through those years. I suggest as leas a good all mountain brake to a four piston downhill brake in the rear. I know that manualling is a lot harder with a 4 piston rear brake as it is literally on or off. With the four piston rear brake you have half as hard to get the tire to lock. This in time over a competition leads to less are fatigue. In competition you arms wear out quickly so every little advantage helps. You can use a 160 rotor and get plenty of power out of it without carrying the additional weight of the rotor or the higher potential of hitting the rotor. I would run a dual piston in the front. Four piston up front is overkill.

Alternative. See if EBC has red pads for your brake set. The pads give any brake set more power and the run down time for the pads with trials is really pretty good.

The idea is that you don't rear use the brake as much or as hard when riding street versus competition with more rest in between each lever pull.

Just my experience

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 14:40 Quote
Thanks everyone.
So, it's now time to buy something !
After a lot of reading, heres my choice :

For my Enduro Bike :
Shimano Zee M640 or Magura MT5

For my hardtail/street/trial/do-it-all bike :
Magura MT7 or Hope Tech 3 E4

The hardtail is by far my favorite bike and that's why I want to put the best brakes on it.

As it represents a lot of money, I plan to keep the Shimano and Avid discs that are already 203 mm on each bike. Is it a good decision, or I will lose braking power ?

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 6:50 Quote
Right now I run standard Shimano hydraulics with 180mm rotors on an enduro bike that I do trials on. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a little more power? I took the pads out and sanded the disk and cleaned everything really well but they are still making a racket. Any Suggestions?

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 9:34 Quote
jamesashton2 wrote:
Right now I run standard Shimano hydraulics with 180mm rotors on an enduro bike that I do trials on. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a little more power? I took the pads out and sanded the disk and cleaned everything really well but they are still making a racket. Any Suggestions?

200mm rotors will make a big difference.

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 10:27 Quote
cwtrials wrote:
jamesashton2 wrote:
Right now I run standard Shimano hydraulics with 180mm rotors on an enduro bike that I do trials on. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a little more power? I took the pads out and sanded the disk and cleaned everything really well but they are still making a racket. Any Suggestions?

200mm rotors will make a big difference.

Do you think that that will stop the squealing as well? Or is that the pads?

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012284
Mobile Version of Website