Best rear brake for trial riding

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Best rear brake for trial riding
Author Message
Posted: Feb 7, 2018 at 12:54 Quote
My word man they look amazing especially with that matt black bike. dang they are nice

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 at 6:35 Quote
jamesashton2 wrote:
My word man they look amazing especially with that matt black bike. dang they are nice

Thanks buddy !!
Went to an indoor skatepark last night, and broke the chain 2 minutes later... not even had the time to try my brakes !!
Shit happen

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 at 6:48 Quote
yeah man, it does but maybe this is your time to ride with no chain? Pivots and hops only haha?

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 at 20:39 Quote
Finally did my first 10 km and some trial this afternoon... these brakes are incredible !! There was no loss of efficiency even though it was -17 celcius !! In love Fab


Posted: Feb 9, 2018 at 5:34 Quote
woah, awesome man, they look sooo rad on that bike!

Posted: Mar 1, 2018 at 8:46 Quote
New upgrade for the hardtail...

Industry 9 Torch rear hub Smile
120 drivering point (3 degres).
Also bought the Parktool TM1 spoke tension meter, make my own wheel truing stand and build my own wheels.
I put the Hope Pro 4 on the winter wheelset and the I9 on the summer wheelset. The Parktool WTA is really helpful Smile


Posted: Mar 5, 2018 at 13:29 Quote
So right now I have xt brakes which I know aren’t the best, but I won’t be able to get new ones for awhile. They also a lot and I was, wondering what tips you guys have on getting the max grabbing power out of them.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 7:32 Quote
MTBingSpartan wrote:
So right now I have xt brakes which I know aren’t the best, but I won’t be able to get new ones for awhile. They also a lot and I was, wondering what tips you guys have on getting the max grabbing power out of them.

If you're not running a 200 or 203mm rotor, get a bigger rotor and adaptor. That'll make a big different. Make sure it's properly aligned, even being a little bit off takes a lot of power with it.

What are you running for pads? Off hand I don't really know what is the most kick butt pads for the XT, but it might be worth looking into.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 7:38 Quote
yeah, I agree, bigger rotors and better pads will help. Maybe even bleeding your brakes

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 7:56 Quote
jamesashton2 wrote:
yeah, I agree, bigger rotors and better pads will help. Maybe even bleeding your brakes
I have bleed the brakes and replaced the pads with non metallic XT brake pads. I have 180 rotors.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 9:01 Quote
something that helped me for like half an hour was just putting some snow on top, or wetting the pads, mt brakes still barely work in the dry but when they are wet they work great. I just put snow on top of where the pads go, and let it melt in, up to you if you want to try that but it worked for me, and I have seen it on a few other forums

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 11:09 Quote
jamesashton2 wrote:
something that helped me for like half an hour was just putting some snow on top, or wetting the pads, mt brakes still barely work in the dry but when they are wet they work great. I just put snow on top of where the pads go, and let it melt in, up to you if you want to try that but it worked for me, and I have seen it on a few other forums
alright sweet. I will try that, another thing they are super loud, in an unnatural way. And the levers feel weird when I try to lock up the brake, so I was just wondering what the problem is there.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 9:40 Quote
Yeah Mine are super loud to and the brakes do feel weird and I found that it mainly happens if I have stored my bike upside down, or the pin isn't locked in all the way

Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 6:40 Quote
cwtrials wrote:
MTBingSpartan wrote:
So right now I have xt brakes which I know aren’t the best, but I won’t be able to get new ones for awhile. They also a lot and I was, wondering what tips you guys have on getting the max grabbing power out of them.

If you're not running a 200 or 203mm rotor, get a bigger rotor and adaptor. That'll make a big different. Make sure it's properly aligned, even being a little bit off takes a lot of power with it.

What are you running for pads? Off hand I don't really know what is the most kick butt pads for the XT, but it might be worth looking into.

Hey man, any recommendation on 4x bikes (or other non-singlespeed bikes, preferably with seats and 26'' tyres) that can be used for trials riding too? Been wanting to get back on trials riding but would love the convenience of also having gears and a seat for travelling more than a mile...

Also, regarding the posts here, why does no one use/recommend the hydraulic rim brakes (like the Magura HS33)? Definitely the strongest braking power and probably the lightest too. May need some tar or grinding of the rim for some more hardcore landings

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
matt-3769 wrote:
Hey man, any recommendation on 4x bikes (or other non-singlespeed bikes, preferably with seats and 26'' tyres) that can be used for trials riding too? Been wanting to get back on trials riding but would love the convenience of also having gears and a seat for travelling more than a mile...

You won't win any competitions but you can ride trials on any bike. The closer you are to pure trials geometry the easier you will find trials moves and the more difficult it will be to use for transportation. Where you want to end up on that spectrum is up to you. Bicycles which I have owned in the past and ridden mountain/street on while incorporating trials in some capacity have been; Norco Sasquatch, Giant STP, DK Xenia (this one was singlespeed). Pretty much any hardtail with a decet rear brake and a low seat and you can practise trials. I hop around and do pedal kicks on my full suspension enduro bike, it's a lot of work but you can do it.

matt-3769 wrote:
Also, regarding the posts here, why does no one use/recommend the hydraulic rim brakes (like the Magura HS33)? Definitely the strongest braking power and probably the lightest too. May need some tar or grinding of the rim for some more hardcore landings

Hydraulic rim brakes are great. But only if you have the right (meaning trials specific these days) wheel and frame. If you don't have or are not looking to special order trials parts and want to use what you can buy gets parts for locally you're pretty much stuck with XC/Enduro/DH components none of which use rim brakes anymore. Things might be different in the UK, I think trials is more popular over there.

I have a hydro rim brake on my rear currently. I replaced a cable rim brake which worked great for years with a cheap hydro disk which resulted in significantly worse performance. I put the hydro rim on because it was used and cheap. My frame only has V brake posts so it's a huge pain to get adjusted correctly. Once it's in it's really good though.

I've ridden lots of different brake setups over the years. For trials rear brake, in order of worst to best my preference is:

Garbage (don't bother, no adjustment too much free stroke):
- Cheap Hydro Disk
Acceptable (properly adjusted these will work without issue):
- Cable Disk
- Good Cable Rim
- Hydro Rim with V-brake frame
Good (these are really nice but expensive or inconvenient):
- Expensive Hydro Disk
- Hydro Rim with matching frame


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005765
Mobile Version of Website