TR Smuggler vs the world

• Next Page
Posted: Oct 10, 2017 at 17:34 Quote
ill also add that i do really like the steep seat tube angle, but it does make the fit of the bike feel different.

im 6'1 and went from a large v2 bronson to a large smuggler and I'm happy with the fit of both. its no surprise that the reach on the smuggler is relatively long, but the effective top tube is VERY short. because of the steep seat tube angle you will be in a good forward position that makes climbing a little easier, but at first you might feel like your knees are way closer to the handlebars than they are on other bikes. as soon as you stand up and have no contact with the seat, then you get the advantages of the long reach. its almost like a large smuggler rides like a medium while seated and an extra large while standing. the effective top tube is very short! it took a little getting used to and its not the best position for fast seated pedaling, but its awesome for climbing and who cares about the top tube and seat tube while you're standing and descending. it descends awesome too. overall I'm really happy and would consider it a great option for trail/all-mountain riding. it only gets overwhelmed when i start throwing downhill stuff at it, but it will handle it. its the rear suspension that becomes the limiting factor too, not the head tube angle. its plenty slack.

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 at 8:30 Quote
Thanks so much for all the input! I have gone with the Smuggler and waiting on it to arrive. It has a smidge bit more travel so hopefully it’s enough to address the complaints that you’ve said. We’ll see how that new sbg geo positions me in the bike and what the fuss is about.

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 at 13:13 Quote
I was dead set on buying a Smuggler last year, but I smartly was able to demo one on my local trails on Vancouver's north shore. I couldn't get comfortable on it. When things get steep, wet, and rowdy (as they always are on the Shore), it kinda sucked. It was a demo so the suspension probably wasn't set up right, maybe too much air in the tires, etc, but I changed my mind and bought a YT Jeffsy instead after taking it for a spin in Squamish. The Jeffsy issues in Canada are well documented on other forums here so I won't get into that, but the bike is amazing. No issues when things get wild and the bikes progressive geo makes it an all around fun ride. I wonder if the 67.5 head angle on the smuggler vs 66.6ish on the jeffsy is the difference there.

I've since moved away from Vancouver and live in an area where the Smuggler would be perfect, and I'm actually thinking maybe that will be a good choice for my next bike in a year's time. The new version is significantly slacker, bit more travel and has a decent seat angle too. So I think if you're not questioning your sanity dropping into rooty ugly messes all the time, then it's a great bike.

EDIT: also I should mention that I'm 6'5 so like 2 bikes on the planet will fit me properly so that definitely is a factor.

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 at 18:19 Quote
Rzamvilla wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Take a look at the YT Jeffsy as well. One of the better regarded all-mountain 29'ers out there right now.

That's always a worthy contender, I ruled it out because of the product support. If anything goes out on it, it would be difficult dealing with that. They do look awesome and ride awesome I'm sure.

If the 29 is anything like the 27 I just bought it's a super fun and poppy bike.

Posted: Oct 25, 2017 at 9:00 Quote
midgetfarm wrote:
Rzamvilla wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Take a look at the YT Jeffsy as well. One of the better regarded all-mountain 29'ers out there right now.

That's always a worthy contender, I ruled it out because of the product support. If anything goes out on it, it would be difficult dealing with that. They do look awesome and ride awesome I'm sure.

If the 29 is anything like the 27 I just bought it's a super fun and poppy bike.

I also have a 27, but the 29’s are supposed to handle very very similarly. One of the big compliments on the 29’er is that it rides like a 650b bike.

Posted: Oct 25, 2017 at 14:34 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
midgetfarm wrote:
Rzamvilla wrote:

I also have a 27, but the 29’s are supposed to handle very very similarly. One of the big compliments on the 29’er is that it rides like a 650b bike.

I have the 29er and while I don't think it feels like a 27.5 bike, it is super poppy and very easily maneuverable. The suspension is crazy progressive so it just lifts off everything super easily. Jumps, drops, bunny hops, and trials moves are really fun and far easier than other bikes with different suspension layouts. I noticed that if I look down at my shock while pedaling uphill, it does move a bit to indicate maybe there is some pedal bob, but the suspension does its job to make sure you don't feel anything and none of that movement gets to the pedals. Feels really smooth, and I never switch my shock to climb mode. Always in full open descent mode and I find it works best like this.

Posted: Oct 25, 2017 at 15:12 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
midgetfarm wrote:

I have the 29er and while I don't think it feels like a 27.5 bike, it is super poppy and very easily maneuverable. The suspension is crazy progressive so it just lifts off everything super easily. Jumps, drops, bunny hops, and trials moves are really fun and far easier than other bikes with different suspension layouts. I noticed that if I look down at my shock while pedaling uphill, it does move a bit to indicate maybe there is some pedal bob, but the suspension does its job to make sure you don't feel anything and none of that movement gets to the pedals. Feels really smooth, and I never switch my shock to climb mode. Always in full open descent mode and I find it works best like this.

Same here. The only time I’ve been able to perceive pedal bob on my Jeff has been when I stand up and really smash down on the pedals/frame. Other than that, it feels rock solid while climbing.

Posted: Oct 25, 2017 at 15:45 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

Same here. The only time I’ve been able to perceive pedal bob on my Jeff has been when I stand up and really smash down on the pedals/frame. Other than that, it feels rock solid while climbing.

Yep I can confirm this as well it's seriously insane how planted it feels over consecutive hits but when you need that pop to jump, and get playful it seems to just know.

Posted: Oct 29, 2017 at 9:39 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

I agree here, I just bought a 2018 Smuggler L, without ever riding (or even sitting on). It feels more like a 29er, but one that gives you more feel for the texture under tires... Super stable and the new GEO steers exceptionally well!
but,
I should have waited to at least ride one around the parking lot. After 3 hrs, it's definitely too big so I'm gonna have to sell it and go smaller. Listed in classifieds on this site.

Cheers,
W

Posted: Oct 29, 2017 at 12:01 Quote
I also have a 27, but the 29’s are supposed to handle very very similarly. One of the big compliments on the 29’er is that it rides like a 650b bike.[/Quote]

I have the 29er and while I don't think it feels like a 27.5 bike, it is super poppy and very easily maneuverable. The suspension is crazy progressive so it just lifts off everything super easily. Jumps, drops, bunny hops, and trials moves are really fun and far easier than other bikes with different suspension layouts. I noticed that if I look down at my shock while pedaling uphill, it does move a bit to indicate maybe there is some pedal bob, but the suspension does its job to make sure you don't feel anything and none of that movement gets to the pedals. Feels really smooth, and I never switch my shock to climb mode. Always in full open descent mode and I find it works best like this.[/Quote]

Same here. The only time I’ve been able to perceive pedal bob on my Jeff has been when I stand up and really smash down on the pedals/frame. Other than that, it feels rock solid while climbing.[/Quote]

I agree here, I just bought a 2018 Smuggler L, without ever riding (or even sitting on). It feels more like a 29er, but one that gives you more feel for the texture under tires... Super stable and the new GEO steers exceptionally well!
but,
I should have waited to at least ride one around the parking lot. After 3 hrs, it's definitely too big so I'm gonna have to sell it and go smaller. Listed in classifieds on this site.

Cheers,
W[/Quote]

What is your height and inseam?

Fantastic deal on the Smuggler you're selling by the way.

Posted: Oct 29, 2017 at 18:26 Quote
Used to be 6ft... now down to just under 5ft11, 31in inseam.

I believe the feeling of riding a bike too big has a lot to do with the 64degree head angle and quite long front center, for an old xc guy used to shorter steeper bikes...

Cheers!
W

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015698
Mobile Version of Website