Ideal Crank Length for Street/DJ Bike

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Ideal Crank Length for Street/DJ Bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 13:52 Quote
Just got a Leaf Cycles d.one frame and Ive got a set of 24seven Superfats but ive had them for a fair few years now so I was looking at getting a new pair. Fairly sure that il get Saints because ive never heard of them breaking and they look pretty cool. So i was wondering whats the best length of crank for that kind of bike? Would 175mm be too long for that kind of riding? Was going to go for 170mm but il wait for some replies here before that. Youl probably just say its all to do with your height and personal preference but I thought id do this anyway.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 13:54 Quote
Spcialzd wrote:
Just got a Leaf Cycles d.one frame and Ive got a set of 24seven Superfats but ive had them for a fair few years now so I was looking at getting a new pair. Fairly sure that il get Saints because ive never heard of them breaking and they look pretty cool. So i was wondering whats the best length of crank for that kind of bike? Would 175mm be too long for that kind of riding? Was going to go for 170mm but il wait for some replies here before that. Youl probably just say its all to do with your height and personal preference but I thought id do this anyway.

175's are fine. Don't worry about it.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 13:58 Quote
Cheers for the quick reply

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 14:37 Quote
I've always ran 175 on my street bike without any troubles.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 19:24 Quote
Crank length goes by riding style not frame size. Longer cranks give more power but spin slower. They are better for riders with longer legs or power riders. They are also better for rough terrain as the slower you peddal the less chance you have of slipping pedals. Shorter arms let you spin much faster but offer less power so you might need to loose a tooth. They may help in corners but I pedaled through corners with 180s for years. I find shorter cranks nicer for DJs but that is also personal as some guys find longer cranks more stable landing.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 21:34 Quote
if you go 170 there is a noticable diffrence in your center of gravity you have to use a longer stem to compensate so with 170 your looking ant about 65mm stem where as with 175 you can use a 50mm stem shorter cranks feel more stable in the air but 175 are a good all around for power and agility ive used both lengths and id say 175

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 2:54 Quote
S1L3NTR4GE wrote:
if you go 170 there is a noticable diffrence in your center of gravity you have to use a longer stem to compensate so with 170 your looking ant about 65mm stem where as with 175 you can use a 50mm stem shorter cranks feel more stable in the air but 175 are a good all around for power and agility ive used both lengths and id say 175

you wont need to change your stem, thats rubbish. a 5mm differentce wont mean you nead a longer one. i'm running real short 165 profiles and theyre nice, id recoment 170s or somthing

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 7:15 Quote
i run 175 on my street bike and it feels good, spose crank spins are easier with shorter cranks but 175's feel good

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 7:52 Quote
I try to ride close to the same length cranks on all my bikes so they all feel about the same. Just a question cause I'm new to the street mtb thing, do you need shorter cranks if you run 24" wheels? I would think it would lower your bb a little, or does it even matter??

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 9:44 Quote
willbikeforbeer wrote:
I try to ride close to the same length cranks on all my bikes so they all feel about the same. Just a question cause I'm new to the street mtb thing, do you need shorter cranks if you run 24" wheels? I would think it would lower your bb a little, or does it even matter??

no it wont matter, that makes no sense, your bb will be the same height lol. but yeah if you have a low bb having shorter cranks means youll be able to make turns a tiny bit easier withought the occasional pedal clip. i guess having shorter arms on a 24" is less imortant as they acellerate easier but you still wont get as good power down

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 9:56 Quote
gutkrencher wrote:
willbikeforbeer wrote:

no it wont matter, that makes no sense, your bb will be the same height lol. but yeah if you have a low bb having shorter cranks means youll be able to make turns a tiny bit easier withought the occasional pedal clip. i guess having shorter arms on a 24" is less imortant as they acellerate easier but you still wont get as good power down
yes it does matter it drops your bb height by about an inch
do you know anything about geometry or are you just a dumbshit

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 9:57 Quote
gutkrencher wrote:
S1L3NTR4GE wrote:

you wont need to change your stem, thats rubbish. a 5mm differentce wont mean you nead a longer one. i'm running real short 165 profiles and theyre nice, id recoment 170s or somthing
dude ive run it both ways and it does make a diffrence end of story

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 10:01 Quote
i dont get it. isnt it up to you what crank length you like? and really is 5mm difference (sp) gonna make ur riding any better/worse

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 10:22 Quote
I run 165 on 24's and 175 on 26's... 165 on DH , and 175 on XC... 172.5 on road and cyclocross... and yes... 5mm either way DOES make a difference... the feel, and the cramping up of yoiur body running a 165 on a 26 isn't fun... plus you have a harder time keeping over the pivot point when manualing... smaller the wheels the smaller the cranks... my moto... I haven't heard any complaints yet...

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 10:27 Quote
S1L3NTR4GE wrote:
gutkrencher wrote:
willbikeforbeer wrote:

yes it does matter it drops your bb height by about an inch
do you know anything about geometry or are you just a dumbshit

Calm down anger boy he was just saying what he thought was right.

And I run 175mm on my steet bike but I have a high BB.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011355
Mobile Version of Website