The best "do it all" mid-travel 29er?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The best "do it all" mid-travel 29er?
Posted: Sep 25, 2017 at 6:30 Quote
I would check out the Guerrilla Gravity Smash. Good climber, rad descender, good price, and made right here in the USA.

Posted: Sep 25, 2017 at 9:49 Quote
Have you considered the pivot switchblade?

Posted: Sep 25, 2017 at 14:49 Quote
I second that. The switchblades a nice rig!

Posted: Sep 26, 2017 at 10:31 Quote
Black-Diesel wrote:
Someone suggested the Hightower as well...so now it's between YT Jeffsy, Intense Primer, and Santa Cruz Hightower. I would think all these bikes ride pretty similar correct?

Any other really good bikes out there in in the 140/140 travel range?

Transition sentinel

Posted: Sep 26, 2017 at 11:23 Quote
nocker wrote:
Black-Diesel wrote:
Someone suggested the Hightower as well...so now it's between YT Jeffsy, Intense Primer, and Santa Cruz Hightower. I would think all these bikes ride pretty similar correct?

Transition sentinel

That looks like a sick bike but it's too much travel for what I need in front. I'm looking for a really light bike with a Carbon frame because I need all the help I can get on climbing. Downhill is no problem for me but most trails around here are pretty mellow downhills mixed in with a lot of climbing. So far I like the Primer and Fuel Ex 9.9 29...obviously very expensive though. I'm interested to see what YT will change on the Jeffsy in 2018, if anything at all.

Right now I'm riding a 10yr old 26" bike and I have no problem keeping up with everyone on the new bikes descending....climbing is where I'm going to need some help.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2017 at 12:28 Quote
Black-Diesel wrote:

All sweet, to be sure. I've ridden all 3 of those and I own a Jeffsy.

The HighTower is a killer ride. It's really plush, handles well, and manages to stay composed well beyond what you'd think 135mm can do. I didn't feel like it was very supportive compared to the Primer or Jeffsy, so if "dancing" in and out of corners is your thing, you end up choosing between small bump compliance and "pop". Some people really like the idea of having the 27.5+ option. If you dream of two different wheel sizes on the same bike, it's the only one on your list that will do it for you.

The Primer is the Apple to the HighTower's PC. Where the Primer really came alive for me was on a local trail that's full off successive hairpin turns on a 12" wide trail. It's poppy, lively, and IMO pedals better than the HighTower. Actually, of the three, the Primer definitely climbs best. However, as is usually the case, that comes at the expense of some--not a lot, but some--stability at high speed. In true Apple fashion, it also costs more....

And then there's the Jeffsy. On paper, it's nearly the same as a HighTower. However, the Horst link suspension is suuuuper progressive (which I like), and that makes it amazingly supportive in the mid-stroke. Personally, I felt like the Jeffsy incorporated the best of both worlds compared to the other two. And now, having owned it and dialled it in, I can say that running a couple rings in the shock and lowering the pressure lets you ride in that happy supportive part of the suspension without giving up anything in the way of sensitivity. Pretty amazing.

Well, and it costs like $2k less than Intense and SC.

Posted: Sep 26, 2017 at 12:43 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
Black-Diesel wrote:

All sweet, to be sure. I've ridden all 3 of those and I own a Jeffsy.

The HighTower is a killer ride. It's really plush, handles well, and manages to stay composed well beyond what you'd think 135mm can do. I didn't feel like it was very supportive compared to the Primer or Jeffsy, so if "dancing" in and out of corners is your thing, you end up choosing between small bump compliance and "pop". Some people really like the idea of having the 27.5+ option. If you dream of two different wheel sizes on the same bike, it's the only one on your list that will do it for you.

The Primer is the Apple to the HighTower's PC. Where the Primer really came alive for me was on a local trail that's full off successive hairpin turns on a 12" wide trail. It's poppy, lively, and IMO pedals better than the HighTower. Actually, of the three, the Primer definitely climbs best. However, as is usually the case, that comes at the expense of some--not a lot, but some--stability at high speed. In true Apple fashion, it also costs more....

And then there's the Jeffsy. On paper, it's nearly the same as a HighTower. However, the Horst link suspension is suuuuper progressive (which I like), and that makes it amazingly supportive in the mid-stroke. Personally, I felt like the Jeffsy incorporated the best of both worlds compared to the other two. And now, having owned it and dialled it in, I can say that running a couple rings in the shock and lowering the pressure lets you ride in that happy supportive part of the suspension without giving up anything in the way of sensitivity. Pretty amazing.

Well, and it costs like $2k less than Intense and SC.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I really want a Jeffsy but there are none available, and I'm hearing might not be available until March 2018? I want the top of the line Jeffsy 29. Do you think they will make changes to the 2018 Jeffsy other than paint scheme?

O+
Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 14:25 Quote
@Black-Diesel:

Word in the Jeffsy Owner's forum is "no". Last year, they basically just added one color, and changed a few components (dropper, cockpit, saddle, tires). Other than that, it's the same. And since the Capra hasn't been updated for several years, that's probably the next big change coming out of YT. Well, either that or a new bike entirely.

Also, if you do end up choosing a Jeffsy, I'd suggest getting it with the shorter offset Pike. Most of the people I've been watching on the owner's forum that have tried the Pike and the 34 end up preferring the Pike since it's a little snappier. So, if you get the ProRace version, I'd keep that in mind. Hear the e*13 wheels are great, though.

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 19:40 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
@Black-Diesel:

Word in the Jeffsy Owner's forum is "no". Last year, they basically just added one color, and changed a few components (dropper, cockpit, saddle, tires). Other than that, it's the same. And since the Capra hasn't been updated for several years, that's probably the next big change coming out of YT. Well, either that or a new bike entirely.

Also, if you do end up choosing a Jeffsy, I'd suggest getting it with the shorter offset Pike. Most of the people I've been watching on the owner's forum that have tried the Pike and the 34 end up preferring the Pike since it's a little snappier. So, if you get the ProRace version, I'd keep that in mind. Hear the e*13 wheels are great, though.

Okay, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 at 0:05 Quote
Look at Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol or Smash-- they are a blast to ride, climb great, descend better--- I ditched my SC HT CC for a 130mm/150mm Trail Pistol and have zero regrets-- made in USA in Colorado, negligible weight didference from SC's top of line frame-- thr TP climbs better and blows the HT out of the water on the descents

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 at 4:01 Quote
FYI, you may not be aware but the Pike can be adjusted up to 160 mm pretty easily by swapping the air shaft in the fork.

A lot of guys over on the Jeffsy forum are loving the Pike at 150mm with the flip chip in the hi setting. For me, 140 in low is perfect for everything from park and Pisgah NF to fast XC rides...

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 at 6:50 Quote
Will1848 wrote:
FYI, you may not be aware but the Pike can be adjusted up to 160 mm pretty easily by swapping the air shaft in the fork.

A lot of guys over on the Jeffsy forum are loving the Pike at 150mm with the flip chip in the hi setting. For me, 140 in low is perfect for everything from park and Pisgah NF to fast XC rides...

That´s not the case for the 2018 Pikes.....140 mm max for the 29er, unless you´re going for a 27.5

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2017 at 13:39 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
@Black-Diesel:

YT is weird in that they aren't going to do major changes very often, and you won't necessarily see year-by-year models. Their spec changes all the time. Every 3-4 months or so it seems that the components are changing on the models found online. Last year the big announcement was Jeffsy 27 and a higher-spec Race model, but no geo changes or major modifications.

Since I bought my Jeffsy a year ago the wheels have changed twice, dropper has gone from a reverb to a RF Turbine, a Fox Transfer, and now is a E 13 post (I think?). There's also the e thirteen 9-46 cassette instead of the more expensive Eagle. The Canadian rep told me that even the paint colours they don't want to change that much, as a totally different looking bike artificially devalues the product. I would assume the next change would be the Capra, or a totally new bike as mentioned by Zsandstorm. Or...they might do nothing. YT almost never has bikes in stock and it takes months to get them, so personally I'd like to see that become a problem of the past vs release a new bike of any kind.

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 at 14:02 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
zsandstrom wrote:
@Black-Diesel:

YT is weird in that they aren't going to do major changes very often, and you won't necessarily see year-by-year models. Their spec changes all the time. Every 3-4 months or so it seems that the components are changing on the models found online. Last year the big announcement was Jeffsy 27 and a higher-spec Race model, but no geo changes or major modifications.

Since I bought my Jeffsy a year ago the wheels have changed twice, dropper has gone from a reverb to a RF Turbine, a Fox Transfer, and now is a E 13 post (I think?). There's also the e thirteen 9-46 cassette instead of the more expensive Eagle. The Canadian rep told me that even the paint colours they don't want to change that much, as a totally different looking bike artificially devalues the product. I would assume the next change would be the Capra, or a totally new bike as mentioned by Zsandstorm. Or...they might do nothing. YT almost never has bikes in stock and it takes months to get them, so personally I'd like to see that become a problem of the past vs release a new bike of any kind.

Different isnt weird......having years on bikes kills values and stops spec updates.....

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 at 8:52 Quote
Banshee Prime - 135mm from the KS-Link is awesome! I run mine with a 150mm fork and that's pretty much all the bike I need for any type of riding I do.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010539
Mobile Version of Website