Switchblade thread

PB Forum :: Pivot Cycles
Switchblade thread
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 18, 2017 at 2:06 Quote
I am looking for a more compact punchy 29er with some pop.

Wondering how people are getting on with the Switchblade?
Is it poppy?
How is the 157 rear axle working out?
What set-ups are people running? (zero stack or 17mm cup? 150 or 160 fork?)

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 5:31 Quote
I've had a Switchblade since about April and am absolutely loving it! I ordered it with the Fox Float X2 upgrade and would highly recommend that if you ride aggressively. I did destroy a rear wheel already by hopping into a rock garden and smashing into a rock and finding a replacement was (kind of) a pain in the ass. I ended up buying a replacement rim and rebuilt a new wheel by transferring the spokes and hub over. You will have a difficult time finding a pre-built wheel at this time, though you can have something built up by I9. I am running the zero stack cup with 29" wheels. When I service the fork this winter I will be increasing it to 160mm just to slacken it out a bit more.

Travel66 wrote:

Is it poppy?

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 9:33 Quote
KNOT wrote:
I've had a Switchblade since about April and am absolutely loving it! I ordered it with the Fox Float X2 upgrade and would highly recommend that if you ride aggressively. I did destroy a rear wheel already by hopping into a rock garden and smashing into a rock and finding a replacement was (kind of) a pain in the ass. I ended up buying a replacement rim and rebuilt a new wheel by transferring the spokes and hub over. You will have a difficult time finding a pre-built wheel at this time, though you can have something built up by I9. I am running the zero stack cup with 29" wheels. When I service the fork this winter I will be increasing it to 160mm just to slacken it out a bit more.

Travel66 wrote:

Is it poppy?

@knot thabks

Posted: Sep 30, 2017 at 8:54 Quote
I've had mine for a little over 3 months. I'm not sure I think of it as "poppy". I love the bike, but would think of as more "balanced" if that makes sense. It's responsive, and not sluggish, but seems more "composed" than "poppy."

Posted: Oct 1, 2017 at 0:20 Quote
ReddyKilowatt wrote:
I've had mine for a little over 3 months. I'm not sure I think of it as "poppy". I love the bike, but would think of as more "balanced" if that makes sense. It's responsive, and not sluggish, but seems more "composed" than "poppy."

Cheers
Which shock are you running? Have you set it up plush?

Posted: Oct 3, 2017 at 17:00 Quote
Hey there, I'm on a Large 29er with a 160 fork, zero stack lower cup, and x2. I'm not sure I'd describe the bike as poppy either, or compact. It's not on the extreme end with reach per size but it's on the longer end of the spectrum. It's punchy and accelerates very well, however thanks to the frame stiffness. It's a very balanced ride for me. I have it setup to be more balanced though. When I demoed the bike it had the DPS and did feel a bit more poppy. The x2 has such a composed feel to it and offers quite a bit more traction as it tracks the ground so well. When I think of poppy, compact 29er trail bikes, I think of something like the Devinci Django 29, Transition Smuggler, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Yeti 4.5, or Intense Primer. I am continually impressed by the Switchblade's composer and efficiency. It's an incredibly bike.

Also, just a note because I see comments all the time about the 157 axle width of the rear end in regards to clearance issues on trails. Measuring from the outermost edges of the frame, the rear end is actually narrower than my Devinci Troy. The Troy is wider because of the concentric pivots at the axle.

Hope that helps

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 at 3:51 Quote
Larrbear0516 wrote:
Hey there, I'm on a Large 29er with a 160 fork, zero stack lower cup, and x2. I'm not sure I'd describe the bike as poppy either, or compact. It's not on the extreme end with reach per size but it's on the longer end of the spectrum. It's punchy and accelerates very well, however thanks to the frame stiffness. It's a very balanced ride for me. I have it setup to be more balanced though. When I demoed the bike it had the DPS and did feel a bit more poppy. The x2 has such a composed feel to it and offers quite a bit more traction as it tracks the ground so well. When I think of poppy, compact 29er trail bikes, I think of something like the Devinci Django 29, Transition Smuggler, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Yeti 4.5, or Intense Primer. I am continually impressed by the Switchblade's composer and efficiency. It's an incredibly bike.

Also, just a note because I see comments all the time about the 157 axle width of the rear end in regards to clearance issues on trails. Measuring from the outermost edges of the frame, the rear end is actually narrower than my Devinci Troy. The Troy is wider because of the concentric pivots at the axle.

Hope that helps

After trying with the DPS and having an X2 on another bike I am wondering if the best choice for pop is the DPS.

Posted: Oct 10, 2017 at 5:32 Quote
Running a large switchblade at 5ft 10 with the fork at 160, a minus 2 degree headset to slack it out and a 40mm stem. Shorter stem and slacker head angle just makes it better everywhere, especially aggressive cornering on tight trails.

I've got the Reynolds carbon hoops and I actually do think it's pretty poppy for a 135mm 29er, it manuals and lifts the front really nicely with the short stays and stem.
I've got the DPS shock as X2 wasn't an option when I got mine a year ago.
Personally I wish I'd had the option of the X2 as I find the damping of the DPS a bit overwhelmed when flogging on fast and rocky stuff with some bigger jumps thrown in. If I wind on enough rebound to control bigger jumps it seems to be at the expense of plush Ness over fast rocky stuff. Also, when flicking the compression lever between climb and open seems to wind off the rebound adjuster on mine which resulted in a spectacular pogo off before I realised this was happening.

I didn't get chance to demo one as I ordered it before they were available in the UK but now wish I'd sized up to an XL.
It's a great bike, the 157 back end is superb and makes you wonder why this isn't the standard for 29ers NOW. I went from a non boost 29er to this and it was a night and day difference. Boost 148 is a proper half arsed standard.

Posted: Oct 10, 2017 at 5:35 Quote
You could put more volume spacers in the X2 to increase ramp up???

You then have the option of taking them back out if you want more plush n cush???

Posted: Oct 10, 2017 at 7:05 Quote
Pigglet13 wrote:
You could put more volume spacers in the X2 to increase ramp up???

You then have the option of taking them back out if you want more plush n cush???

Cheers for views.
Sounds like you have been giving yours a proper spanking.
Is the DPS good on the more gentle stuff?

Posted: Oct 10, 2017 at 12:18 Quote
Depends on your definition of "spanking"! I don't claim to be a great rider but I am pretty enthusiastic lol
I use the switchblade as a proper all rounder, my rides typically are about 4 hours on natural trails with a couple of National level DH tracks that tend to get worked into the routes. It's a great bike, covers ground really well and set up the way I have it it's really nimble and chuckable. I've got a mate who's 5'8 and he loves it. Despite the long low slack claims it's pretty conservative compared to some of the latest releases.

The DPS is a great shock but I find it can get pretty hot on some of the downhill sections I ride, everywhere else it's fine.
I run it in open mode everywhere except on long road sections (couple of miles) where I flick it into climb. I'm 70 kilos so not super heavy and just run it as per the sag indicator. The suspension works really well and despite using full travel I've never noticed a harsh bottom out.
I guess it depends on how long and rough your downhill sections are as to whether you will warm the DPS up or not????

If the X2 wasn't an option I would still be very happy with the bike and the DPS, I'm just a whore to the bling and like tinkering. I have an X2 with climb switch on another bike and really like it. With volume spacers you should be able to get either shock as you want. Just fill both fork and shock full of volume spacers, wind off the rebound and you'll be popping of every lip like Zebedee on speed.

Checked Mojo for an X2, would appear I'm too late.....

Posted: Oct 10, 2017 at 13:04 Quote
Cheers, looks like word got round fast!

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 14:01 Quote
Searched the thread, but didn't get any hits on bash guard or chain guard and the likes. What, if any, are you guys running on your blades? About to order the MRP XCg (V2), but wanted to check in here first.

TIA!

Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 7:55 Quote
Noknees wrote:
Searched the thread, but didn't get any hits on bash guard or chain guard and the likes. What, if any, are you guys running on your blades? About to order the MRP XCg (V2), but wanted to check in here first.

TIA!
Late reply, but I'm running the one-up plus upper guide and have had no issues.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018824
Mobile Version of Website