2018 RM Instinct

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2018 RM Instinct
O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 7:06 Quote
Stenimir wrote:
criscruzr wrote:
ok thanks!

can I just swap the rear shock with the new size 8.5“x2.5“ or resp. 216x63 or do I need to change the link as well?

as far as I know, just put it in the slackest position

That seems to be the reply and I've been told theres no difference between the two links in slackest.

However, my regular instinct link does not clear an x2 8.5x2.5 which it otherwise should as a bc edition.

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 17:10 Quote
what do you mean specifically with „does not clear a X2“?

it does not fit and you end up buying the bc link?

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 17:49 Quote
criscruzr wrote:
what do you mean specifically with „does not clear a X2“?

it does not fit and you end up buying the bc link?

The shock contacts the linkage under full compression. I thought this was weird because Vanderham clearly ran an X2 in a non-BC edition link while claiming it was full travel, and I've had it confirmed that the only difference between links is that one is fused in slackest.

I did not buy a BC link because I went back to a 140mm rear end. The 8.5x2.5 was borrowed off another bike because I wanted to try the BC edition rear end.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 1:35 Quote
oh ok tha ks!

why did you switched back to 140mm?

I primarily will use the instinct in the bike park and here and there some backyard trails too.

Thats why I was looking forward to 155mm.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 4:53 Quote
criscruzr wrote:
oh ok tha ks!

why did you switched back to 140mm?

I primarily will use the instinct in the bike park and here and there some backyard trails too.

Thats why I was looking forward to 155mm.

I have a Fox X2 210x55 with 140mm of travel and no issues what so ever.

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 7:35 Quote
I've ridden and owned a few bikes with multiple travel settings. After trying them all, I usually find there's a travel setting the bike works better in. Like they couldn't perfectly optimize both suspension settings, so one ends up being a little better than the other. With that said, I thought that the 140mm setting was a little bit more sophisticated than 155m on the BC instinct. 155 was still good, and there's very little difference between the two as an overall bike perspective. My recommendation to people since has been this - if you want a bit bigger margin for error, get the 155mm rear. If you want a tighter experience that seems to work just a little bit better - 140mm out back is for you.

I spent about a month in BC mode with an X2 out back.

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2020 at 6:52 Quote
I think it's actually put in the steepest Ride9. Def double check this

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 8:21 Quote
Guys, just bought a used C70 and looks simply as the best bike I've ever had. But is there someone who can tel me what is the purpose of the additional screw and plastic cap close to the bottle cage mounting?
At the shop they are not used to RM and couldn't help on this
Thanks

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 9:22 Quote
It's for running DI2 or Fox live valve. You can ignore.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2022 at 13:47 Quote
I have a 2020 instinct and i converted it to BC edition, and used a coil for the rear. It's unreal. Still super playful with the short CS's and it retains that trail bike feel, but with better small bump. Also, the bump up on my fit4 to 160mm was way better as well. When I switched the airspring, the negative chamber was covered in slick honey. I think having the default 4 volume spacers for fox 36 140mm contributes to that harsh feeling as well. Just so much more ramp up. Stock for 160 is 1. And i noticed it way more supple off the start.

Saying all this, I'm selling it. Haha. I don't even have a good reason, just got the new bike fever....you know what I'm taking about if you've ever been afflicted.

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2022 at 13:04 Quote
I like the idea of a coiled rear end on the bike but damn it seems like it’d climb like crap. Or is it still decent? I’m on the 140 rear end with a dpx2

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010012
Mobile Version of Website