29er to 27.5 wheel swap

PB Forum :: 29ers
29er to 27.5 wheel swap
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 26, 2017 at 9:48 Quote
Can i swap my 29er with 27.5 wheels to make it more freestyle the components and everything will be in same place will this mess anything up or will it just be larger gaps with all components in same place as the 29 inch wheel set i feel like it will just make the bike more aggressive !! any feed back would be great or experience

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 9:48 Quote
Quite pprobably possible.

Check for how much clearance in between stays and fork brace clearance.

Also converting to 27.5 will change geometry figures of geo angles i.e. Bottom bracket height which then in turn has an effect on other angles.

Deffo worth investigating as an option other than a "what new 27.5 bike" so kudos to ya for that.

If you care to check out the Pivot Switchblade which accepts both wheelsets then you'll get the right idea that it is doable.

Even some Litespeed hardtails allow in some sizes admittedly for smaller wheels to be used.

Happy trails : )

O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 at 12:28 Quote
What frame do you have and what tires do you currently run? swapping both wheels to 27.5 will have the net effect of lowering your bottom bracket roughly 19mm.

A 29er rim is 622 mm diameter and a 27.5 is 584 mm diameter. So half the difference gives 19mm as a good approximation of the the BB height change. You could run larger tires to make up some of that. 27.5x2.8 (27+) would get you back into 29er diameter/bb height territory. Something like the new Maxxis 2.6 or 2.5WT tires would put you somewhere in the middle.

If your frame accepts and eccentric BB you could make up for even more by putting in the EBB and running it at the top most setting.

If I were going to do something like this I would do 27.5x2.5WT tires which would give a nice middle ground between 27.5 and 29er without lowering the BB too much or adding big balloon tires. I'd then adjust my EBB to the topmost position (my niner currently has one) and probably end up with nearly identical geometry, smaller tire diameter, and more volume in the tires.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008251
Mobile Version of Website