Restore my old BMX, worth it?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Restore my old BMX, worth it?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 26, 2017 at 9:58 Quote
Hi, I still own my old BMX from mid 80s and been thinking of restoring it for the past year.

Everything is in working conditions except front brake. It's still on its original wheels and crank but they don't roll as well as when they were new. Headset bearings have been changed once after I totally destroyed them 25 years ago (only a few balls were left intact).

Is it worth it or is it just a waste of money?
Would I be able to find all the small parts to make it feel like new?

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 8:07 Quote
Was hoping for something more usefull than a simple URL.

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 9:17 Quote
If it's something that's worth it to you then it's probably worth it. Unless you have something rare or can do a show quality restoration on it you won't make any money doing it, but it sounds like you want it for you anyway so that's probably not an issue. BMX museum has a ton of members that will know more than pretty well anyone on pinkbike about old school stuff. You'll also probably want to check out planetbmx.com for parts. You can always take it down to your local bike shop if you need the condition checked out, and if it's anything like mine they might have some random old school stuff kicking around.

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 11:10 Quote
I don't want to make any money out of it but I don't want to invest a lot into it either. I just don't want to start disassembling it just to find out I wont be able to get any parts to rebuild it. My goal would be to sand it, paint it, new ball bearings, new brakes, new grips, new saddle, new seat post and new pedals. A new set of wheels couls also be nice but not mandatory.

So my question was and still is, would I be able to find what I need to do it or will I just waste my time and end up with an old disassembled BMX looking for parts that I wont ever find?

My LBS is totaly useless for new stuff, let alone old stuff. They hire kids who only ride road bikes in our local/regional team. They can barely clean and lube a chain.

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 18:50 Quote
lRaphl wrote:

The obvious was....that simple url is a website allmost primarily focused on old school bmx bikes...thus you might find a great deal more info regarding your original question there

Posted: Oct 2, 2017 at 14:27 Quote
Minx20 wrote:
lRaphl wrote:

The obvious was....that simple url is a website allmost primarily focused on old school bmx bikes...thus you might find a great deal more info regarding your original question there

Exactly this^.

In order to answer your questions we need to know what bike you have and what parts you have that you want to replace. If you don't know what bike you have, the guys on bmxmuseum will help you figure it out and also identify the parts you have. The buy/sell there is huge for OS parts and if you are a pro member you can post WTB ads as well.

Just one more tip - don't sand the paint until you have found new decals for the frame and fork, otherwise you may not want to destroy them. If they are already removed then no problem, but you may find that you can restore it reasonably well without repainting. You can do an OA or citric acid bath to remove rust and then polish etc.

Posted: Oct 2, 2017 at 18:50 Quote
Harvester is a probably the only good place to look if you are in fact, still living in Quebec. Shipping wouldn't cost that much (or you could road trip it) but I know for a fact they supplied the 80s retro bikes for movies producers(might have been stranger things or a flashback for a movie iirc)shot in the GTA simply because they were the only option.

If you're looking for 1-Piece cranks, American bbs, and 1/2" pedals, harvester. Even mag wheels, 3spoke and 5.

I could tell you more, but they have a website, so, pointless.

Edit-to add, I think it would be worth it. A cheap loose ball front wheel or mags and some new bb bearings and it should feel pretty smooth. I've always loved fixing/restoring old stuff over buying new stuff though. Plus, it'll be the most original bike on the street. Heavy, but original.

Posted: Oct 5, 2017 at 9:11 Quote
There's a huge oldschool following on FB.. lots of resources

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006375
Mobile Version of Website