New Cyclocross Wheels

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
New Cyclocross Wheels
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 26, 2017 at 20:51 Quote
So I bought a 2018 Giant TCX Advanced SX and it is a sweet bike. I am an avid mountain bike/road racer but my team I'm on also does cyclocross races so it was time for a cross bike. The bike seems heavy, I haven't weighed it but my mountain bike seems lighter. Everything is aluminum except for the frame. I have heard from seasoned cross racers they tell me not to worry about bars, stems, and stuff like that because I'm going to crash and carbon breaks so my first thought was getting a new wheelset. My friend said I should look at the Zipp 302 for $1500 which seems like a good price but I see mixed reviews so does anyone know a good carbon wheelset for cross for $1500 or under $1500. Another thing is upgrading the cassette because that seems heavy and that is a SRAM PG-1130 11x42, 11-Speed, does anyone have any options on cassettes or other ways to lighten the bike?

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2017 at 14:00 Quote
The NOX composites Citico rim is a cyclocross specific design and can be laced to any decent hubs and would be a great wheelset. They would probably come in cheaper than the zipps and you could have more color choice too if you desire. You could easily save 200 grams on a new cassette too, the Sram 1130 is a bit heavy.

Posted: Oct 30, 2017 at 18:25 Quote
I have used and can recommend Light Bicycles carbon rims.They have an excellent reputation among our local wheelbuilders and riding crew.

The only change I'd recommend from stock is using black-anodised *brass* nipples. Alloy nips and tubeless sealant do not play well with carbon rims. This goes for name brands like Zipp too. My local wheelbuilder does a steady trade in relacing Zipp, Easton and other name brand wheels due to nipple corrosion.

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2017 at 10:10 Quote
I have also heard good things about Light Bicycle rims, I haven't personally built with them but would like to. They seem priced well too.

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2017 at 19:37 Quote
I also have a 2018 Giant TCX Advanced SX, and the wheels are heavy! I also had to swap stems for size, and the new Thomson one I got felt a lot lighter in my hand. There are definitely some ways to trim weight.

The cassette weighs a ton too, for the money, you can't beat XT. An XT 11-42 weighs about 120g less, based on me weighing the same cassette that came on my mountain bike.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015055
Mobile Version of Website