Trail building tools

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Trail building tools
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 3, 2017 at 13:46 Quote
I am looking at building some trails, well more clearing existing wildlife trails for some tech single track.
I've got a good selection of tools for this but I'm wondering if any of you have some cool home made tools that work well or techniques that you use. Any and all input is welcome.

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 at 4:13 Quote
well a nice and sharp machete is always a good start for clearing trails. Other than a strong gaspowered weedwacker with steel blades i have found nothing thats better for clearing trails.
I mostly clear very thorny weeds so thick and robust clothing is the most helpfull asset besides sharp tools.

i dont think its what you wanted to hear but there seams to be no short cut to this work Frown

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 at 8:19 Quote
I didnt have an answer I was looking for. All I want is to find out what other guys are using and if they have found or made any interesting tools that do a good job.

What do you use to clean up the grass? I have been using a rake and flat shovel, powered units are not allowed by the county on public land. I might sneak in an battery powered chain saw to clean up the trees that have fallen across the trail and to build some features.

Posted: Oct 6, 2017 at 5:05 Quote
When gaspowered Tools are not available go with either a mcleod or a broad head pickaxe.

With thick root Systems i have made excellent experiences with this tool. https://www.garten.edingershops.de/Fiskars/Hammer-Hacke/FISKARS-Spitzhacke-und-Breithacke-171012::91134881/produktbild_91134881_0.jpg
It is very versitile and can also dig very well in rocky soil.

Posted: Oct 6, 2017 at 7:31 Quote
I agree the Mcload is a must have in the trail building tool. The pick axe is another great tool.

Any interesting features you like to incorporate into your trails? If you have pics that would be great

Posted: Oct 6, 2017 at 7:57 Quote
Feel free to browse my PB Pictures, over half of them are trailbuilding pics Razz

i love useing naturaly accuring Features like big rocks for rollers and natural contures. Fighting them is a lot of work and digging + often leads to increasing Need to maintain the Trail. Personaly i love Building wooden Features simply because i love working with Wood Wink

We have a FB page which also has a few Pictures of Building Features and riding them. ist a offical Trail built and maintained by the local MTB Club.
https://www.facebook.com/strommastdownhill/

Posted: Oct 6, 2017 at 8:32 Quote
I had a look at your pictures before, it looks like you have a nice setup with your bike trailer! I want to do a lot of log hops and maybe some log jumps to log landings to make it difficult.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 20:20 Quote
If you never worked with a Rogue Hoe, then you haven't discovered the ultimate trailbuilding tool yet. We distribute them in Canada. PM for details.

Posted: Oct 13, 2017 at 5:25 Quote
I have seen them and they look like the best trailbuilding tools out there. sadly they are very difficult to get in germany as shipping is very expensive :/

I have just seen the option to ship heads only. That sounds like a great option and i will soon be in touch Big Grin

Posted: Oct 13, 2017 at 6:48 Quote
sentiersboreals wrote:
If you never worked with a Rogue Hoe, then you haven't discovered the ultimate trailbuilding tool yet. We distribute them in Canada. PM for details.

They look like a great product! I have a Corona mcleod and that has been working great for me.

which model Rogue is your preference? The website shows they have a lot of different models.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 10:05 Quote
indydave124 wrote:
which model Rogue is your preference? The website shows they have a lot of different models.

The 70H is the most popular one. Lightweight but very efficient. Excellent choice for workdays with bike clubs. Perfect tool for occasional builder.

The 80R is a heavy-duty digger, slightly heavier but the square head can move a lot of dirt and its very efficient to pack the trail too. My crew prefered tool.

The 85H is the manly version of the 70. It only match your ego so you can show off to your bro. ;-)

The 70HRH share the same head as the 70HR54. The first one comes with a 40in axe handle while the other use a 54in round handle. The McLeod-type head make it a very good all-around tool.

The 70AR54 (Travis) is a new model and the triangular head offer a good mix of option for general maintenance needs.

The 115FR is a heavy-duty rake. No more garden rake that you'll destroy while pulling roots or hitting rocks. The 70NBR is its small brother at 7in wide instead of 12.

The 60A is often used for maintenance or with kids because it's very light and easy to carry around. The pick on one side make it efficient a clearing drainage while the 6in hoe on the other side is wide enough to move some good dirt.

Those are the models we carry in Canada. All of them are currently in stock and until the end of the month, we have a sale so inbox for details.

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 11:07 Quote
whats the handle diameter on the 70HR54 ? i am currently trying to get some handles before getting the head only option.

Posted: Nov 17, 2017 at 19:28 Quote
hey there, I am a privateer building my own trails, due to the short budget I have, what would you recommend?

I have destroyed 2 rakes in just over 15 hours of work.

Posted: Nov 17, 2017 at 19:32 Quote
oh and btw, what kind of rocks would you use from a hardware store to make loose rocky sections?
since my area doesn't have rocks at all

Posted: Nov 17, 2017 at 20:04 Quote
regular rakes just dont cut it when trailbuilding as most of them are only designed for light gardening. In our trailcrew we have found a few ways around that. We have 3 cheesp hardwarestore rake with some homewelded gussets. they are okaysh but need straightening out every once in a while. Then we have one rake that looks just like the other 3 originaly did but for some reason it lasts without bending or any damage. i have no idea where it came from but aperantly there are some out there that actualy last. Lastly we have a few mcleods which are hard to get and expensive in germany but are far more sturdy.

for the rocks... you wont get any decent one in a hardware store at least not on a budget. if you have a truck to transport them drive to a quarry and buy some there. they should be dirt cheap and in just the sizes you want.
https://scontent-frx5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t35.0-12/23730675_1332499920229394_233945449_o.png?oh=20e6986e01924e744363e7885e348d21&oe=5A11D0B4

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011162
Mobile Version of Website