SRAM X5 rear derailleur popped off at P-Knuckle, lost spring on trail.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
SRAM X5 rear derailleur popped off at P-Knuckle, lost spring on trail.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 7, 2017 at 21:23 Quote
My 2012 GT fury is running the stock x5 rear mid cage according to spec.

I recently caught a branch the bounced back and somehow managed to do some damage. There don't appear to be any broken or bent parts, just a missing piece(s).

The derailleur popped offf right at the P-knuckle. The shaft still slides in and mates perfectly but i'm missing the spring and I think I'm missing another piece, something that would allow the spring and the shaft to be retained. As it is now the shaft slides in but doesn't "snap" in so it comes out just as easily. I can't forsee the spring being the same component that prevents the lateral movement of the shaft and also allows for it's rotation tentions, but I can't be sure....

The shaft has a raised shoulder portion that is presumably for some form of retention, possibly by a mechanism similar to a dual cir-clip that holds on either side of the raised shoulder.

There is a little rectangular window which allows sight of the raised shoulder portion of the shaft. It appears that there may be room for a dual circlip like component which might slide into the window and engage the shaft on either side of the shoulder and allow the shaft to be retained within the body of the knuckle along with the spring.

Does anyone know if the way I describe above is in fact the method in which it is retained?

Anyone know if the spring and the means to hold the P-knuckle together are possible to source on their own as spares?

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2017 at 8:21 Quote
I think that you are better off if we're to just buy a new rear derailer versus trying to fix that one. Your x5 must be pretty worn out for it to come apart like that so I would think, in order to fix it properly you ma need more than just the lock ring to hold it together. As for replacing it, an x5 is pretty cheap as rear derailers go.

Posted: Oct 8, 2017 at 13:41 Quote
DugS wrote:
I think that you are better off if we're to just buy a new rear derailer versus trying to fix that one. Your x5 must be pretty worn out for it to come apart like that so I would think, in order to fix it properly you ma need more than just the lock ring to hold it together. As for replacing it, an x5 is pretty cheap as rear derailers go.

you're right, pretty cheap, I will just buy a new one, X7 actually. It's only a few bucks more than the x5.

I'm just the kind of guy that likes to be able to fix things that should be fixable, which this should be if the right parts were available. Nothing wrong with it other than missing parts. At least now I will have the spare parts to fix the new one Big Grin

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012940
Mobile Version of Website