Nomad BB shell replacement

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Nomad BB shell replacement
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 7:55 Quote
Somehow I've managed to flatten (rather than strip) the thread on the LHS of my 2015 Nomad CC's metal BB shell (or whatever you call the part of the frame into which the BB screws). The BB on that side is able to just slide in and out.

My current temporary 'fix' is to use PTFE thread sealing tape to thicken up the BB thread itself, allowing it to thread back in to the shell in the frame. This seems stable and has allowed me to ride for a couple of days with no apparent loosening.

A permanent fix suggested (albeit previously done with aluminium frames) is to heat up the BB shell to weaken the glue bonding it to the frame, then take the shell out and glue a new one in. However, I'm quite reluctant to do this given that it's a carbon frame and I have no experience in repairs of this sort.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of problem?

Does anyone in the UK know of a shop that's been able to fix this?

Salute

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 8:31 Quote
sam-stanfield wrote:
Somehow I've managed to flatten (rather than strip) the thread on the LHS of my 2015 Nomad CC's metal BB shell (or whatever you call the part of the frame into which the BB screws). The BB on that side is able to just slide in and out.

My current temporary 'fix' is to use PTFE thread sealing tape to thicken up the BB thread itself, allowing it to thread back in to the shell in the frame. This seems stable and has allowed me to ride for a couple of days with no apparent loosening.

A permanent fix suggested (albeit previously done with aluminium frames) is to heat up the BB shell to weaken the glue bonding it to the frame, then take the shell out and glue a new one in. However, I'm quite reluctant to do this given that it's a carbon frame and I have no experience in repairs of this sort.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of problem?

Does anyone in the UK know of a shop that's been able to fix this?

Salute

Take it to a machine shop and see if they can salvage the threads. If it´s not possible maby try to find a threadless bottom bracket? (a bb that threads into itself on opposite side)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.061209
Mobile Version of Website