I want to buy a dirt jumper for urban riding

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
I want to buy a dirt jumper for urban riding
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 19:38 Quote
I would like to buy a chromag monk for urban riding. I do have a local jump park and pump track but it is an hour away. I think that there is enough stuff to ride in my area for urban riding. I don’t know much tricks so I would have to learn. Do you think this is possible?

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 19:47 Quote
chromagjunkie wrote:
I would like to buy a chromag monk for urban riding. I do have a local jump park and pump track but it is an hour away. I think that there is enough stuff to ride in my area for urban riding. I don’t know much tricks so I would have to learn. Do you think this is possible?

How much is it?

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 19:49 Quote
SamBlakeslee wrote:
chromagjunkie wrote:

How much is it?

1000 cad. It has a bunch of upgrades though

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 20:22 Quote
chromagjunkie wrote:
SamBlakeslee wrote:
chromagjunkie wrote:

How much is it?

1000 cad. It has a bunch of upgrades though

Go for it.

Posted: Oct 13, 2017 at 7:12 Quote
Street geo is a little different than jump geo, might want to consider that...

Street frames have steeper HT angles, taller BB, where dirt jumpers are more slacker and lower..

Somethin to think about

Posted: Nov 17, 2017 at 20:42 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Street geo is a little different than jump geo, might want to consider that...

Street frames have steeper HT angles, taller BB, where dirt jumpers are more slacker and lower..

Somethin to think about

I've been wondering about that. What are the design benefits of street geometry (steeper headtube angle, higher BB) vs dirt jumper geometry? In other words, why would I want one of those style frames over the other?

I'm about to buy a bike and I've narrowed it down to two very different frames (NS Capital [72.5˚ HA] and NS Metropolis 2 [69.0˚ HA] and will be buying one of them without the option of demo'ing.

I know from experience that wheelbase, seat stay length, and how much rise there are in the handlebars all affect how easily a bike can be manualed. But how much does a steeper headtube angle affect how easy or difficult it is to manual a bike? TIA.

Posted: Nov 18, 2017 at 7:14 Quote
A higher BB (positive or above axle line) helps get the front up easier and puts you above curb/coping line of you're grinding, but helps make the bike less stable..

Steeper HT angle quickens steering, and makes the bike more twitchy.. more like a 20" BMX

I have a street bike with a 72° HT with a positive BB and my DJ is 69° with a negative BB.. both jump and both street, its just a different feel between the 2.. one is twitchy, quick and light, the other is fast, stable and light

Posted: Nov 20, 2017 at 7:40 Quote
Awesome. Thanks. I think a dirt frame makes more sense for me -- prefer stability over nimbleness.

Posted: Dec 1, 2017 at 18:44 Quote
Which frame did you end up choosing?

I'm in a similar boat. I can't decide on what to get. I'm looking for something that can jump but can do well on random street stuff too. I don't want the best dirt jumper or the best street frame but something ok for both with a short travel front fork. By street I mostly mean more slow speed 'trialsy' stuff, like getting up on large curbs, bunnyhops, rolling drops and maybe even a bit of back wheel hopping. Also, sort of a silly requirement, I'd absolutely love to find a bright green frame (very much like the Chromag Monk, but I'm afraid it may be too heavy - is it?, also I love dropper posts and I don't know if I could fit one in it).

Am I searching for a green unicorn? Any input would be appreciated. Sorry for the thread hijacking, didn't want to open a new one for a very similar problem.

Posted: Dec 2, 2017 at 10:07 Quote
Ns suburban would be good. They used to make a suburban park and a suburban dirt, but now they just make a middel ground version that has geo that does both pretty well. I've never ride one, but I have a majesty dirt and sold a sub park last year, and can say with some certainty that the geo on the new sub is generally on for anything.

Posted: Dec 2, 2017 at 15:49 Quote
The suburban looks great too but it's cromoly. If given the option, I'd stick to alu. No particular reason, just personal preference. I'd keep the theme of this build light and stiff.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2017 at 16:13 Quote
cucupebicicleta wrote:
Also, sort of a silly requirement, I'd absolutely love to find a bright green frame (very much like the Chromag Monk, but I'm afraid it may be too heavy - is it?, also I love dropper posts and I don't know if I could fit one in it).

I just built up a Chromag Monk without focusing on weight at all and its 28.6lbs. I didnt weigh the frame by itself though.
With a 27.2 seat tube the droppers you could put in it will be limited.

Posted: Dec 13, 2017 at 10:24 Quote
I gave up on the 'must be green' requirement and got a Dartmoor Two6player. The red is going to look awesome!

New problem now, what fork to choose, considering it's not going to see only dirt but also street jumps/drops, etc.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 13, 2017 at 10:58 Quote
cucupebicicleta wrote:
I gave up on the 'must be green' requirement and got a Dartmoor Two6player. The red is going to look awesome!

New problem now, what fork to choose, considering it's not going to see only dirt but also street jumps/drops, etc.

manitou circus. cant really beat the performance for value

Posted: Dec 16, 2017 at 6:01 Quote
I bought a Deity Cryptkeeper (2017). The geometry is great. The one thing I'm still adjusting to is how laid back it is... on 180s I feel like I'm going to flip over backwards, and on quarter pipe tail taps the front wheel is only a few inches higher than the rear when I reach the balance point, which is really odd. The thing is disgustingly light, nearly half the weight of my DH bike (48 pounds). It actually feels unstable because of how light it is -- but this is all stuff I will adjust to over time.

Deity Cryptkeeper

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014611
Mobile Version of Website