Orbea Rallon owners

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 15:38 Quote
IamJoe2 wrote:
Hi All,

Just getting back in to MTB after a 15 year hiatus and looking at the Rallon / Occam I appreciate they are two different bikes but cant decide which I should be going for considering the riding I am planning to do. I dont want to buy the Occam and feel disadvantage with lesser travel but dont want to over do it with the Rallon either!

Lots has changed in the bike world in my 15 years hiatus and want to make sure I dont want short change myself on my new purchase. Planning to ride UK bike parks, local trials and would like to get out to the Alps regularly also.

Any of you Rallon / Occam riders able to give me some first hand advice?

Thanks in advance...

Joe

Rallon pedals as good and descends like a mini dh. Period

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 13:01 Quote
IamJoe2 wrote:
Hi All,

Just getting back in to MTB after a 15 year hiatus and looking at the Rallon / Occam I appreciate they are two different bikes but cant decide which I should be going for considering the riding I am planning to do. I dont want to buy the Occam and feel disadvantage with lesser travel but dont want to over do it with the Rallon either!

Lots has changed in the bike world in my 15 years hiatus and want to make sure I dont want short change myself on my new purchase. Planning to ride UK bike parks, local trials and would like to get out to the Alps regularly also.

Any of you Rallon / Occam riders able to give me some first hand advice?

Thanks in advance...

Joe

Definitely worth doing some demoing. I’ve a Rallon, it’s brilliant for long descents and enduro style stuff in the alps, but feels like overkill for trail ridding. Assuming you’re not hitting massive jumps and drops I’m sure the Occam with 150 36 upgrade would cope fine in the alps, and be better for the UK.

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 8:28 Quote
Hey guys, the rear axle on my Rallon is stuck. Won't move and I'm worried to strip the hex. I used penetrating oil for a week nothing changed.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get it out? Anyone else had the same issue?

And if worst comes to worst- what axle size would i need?

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 11:10 Quote
SleepingAwake wrote:
Hey guys, the rear axle on my Rallon is stuck. Won't move and I'm worried to strip the hex. I used penetrating oil for a week nothing changed.

impact wrench, and a new axle

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 2:10 Quote
SleepingAwake wrote:

I had the same issue when I bought it. Took some force to get it out. Very conscious about how tight I have it now.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 1:34 Quote
Anyone rocking an Ohlins coil on their Rallon? Fox ones aint in stock til mid/late September and I'm off to the alps early august. Ideal world I wanted to match the Fox front because, well, why not, but it might not be possible.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 5:17 Quote
ChrisTunn wrote:
Anyone rocking an Ohlins coil on their Rallon? Fox ones aint in stock til mid/late September and I'm off to the alps early august. Ideal world I wanted to match the Fox front because, well, why not, but it might not be possible.
It's a good shock very reliable. If you need to go with fox I think the x2 air is a better option all around, less weight, more progressive, tuneable, etc...

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 8:59 Quote
rickyvic wrote:
ChrisTunn wrote:
It's a good shock very reliable. If you need to go with fox I think the x2 air is a better option all around, less weight, more progressive, tuneable, etc...

Fair comment, I've not ridden the X2, but I'm running a DHX2 with the new link and I'd say it pedals as well as any of the FS bikes of it's type that I've owned. I'm lucky that the stock spring works for me and I love the plushness and small bump performance of the coil.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 14:39 Quote
Funny enough many dh world cup racers run air shocks while enduro crowd runs coil....
Something is odd.....

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 14:54 Quote
To be honest I bought my bike used. I've never had a coil on a non DH bike and I fancied giving it a go. A riding buddy has the same frame size with an X2. We keep talking about riding each other's bikes, but haven't got round to it. It'll be interesting to make comparisons.

Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 0:41 Quote
I’m in the wanting to give it a go crowd more than anything. I haven’t changed the amount of tokens in the X2 so I might just try get that right before the alps. I have no complaints with the air but as said, just wanna give it a go and the Alps seemed like the perfect place ????

Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 2:23 Quote
ChrisTunn wrote:
I’m in the wanting to give it a go crowd more than anything. I haven’t changed the amount of tokens in the X2 so I might just try get that right before the alps. I have no complaints with the air but as said, just wanna give it a go and the Alps seemed like the perfect place ????

Hello. I already had the X2 in 2 rallon (201Cool without the new link (it was ok), and the 2020 with the new link(new bike, love it)

X2 i think i was running 4 tokens and 200/220 psi

At this moment I have dhx2 with spring of 500 ( fox dosen´t have a 525 srping) the 550 is a bit to much, weight 88kg with equipment. I can say that nothing can compare with the reading of the spring, the wheel is always glued to the ground but is less playful.

Advantages X2
Greater tunability
Changing the weight of the rider is easier to change

Advantages dhx2
Initial reading is great
Does not suffer from altitude
Fewer visits to the mechanic, less annual inspections

Whatever you choose to do, you'll never go wrong. You just have to realize that spring over air, you will gain traction and an initial reading superiority, but you lose a little playful.

Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 15:54 Quote
Hey guys

I need to extract the axle from the old link which I will replace with the new one, I managed to get everything out except the axle between the 2 links.
Ideas?

Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 23:26 Quote
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I found a screwdriver with a handle of the right diameter and used it to punch out the axle. Anything non metal that you can find will do. Measuring the screwdriver handle's diameter I would say you want something around 21- 22mm. If you know any plumbers, you could ask for an offcut of 22mm plastic pipe. It looks to me like that could work, although without dismantling the link I couldn't be sure.
Considering what it costs, it would be good if Orbea supplied a plastic punch with the kit.

Posted: Jul 15, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
Have other people found just doing the preload tool up hand tight has been adequate? I still had some play. Giving it an extra 1/4-1/2 turn has made all the difference. I think there's a bit of a lack of instruction around that axle, I'm assuming it should be hand tight, as there's nothing on the tool for torx/allen/socket and I couldn't find a torque setting for it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013879
Mobile Version of Website