close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Orbea Rallon owners

Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 15:43 Quote
Anyone need a dpx2 just needs a service. Figured I'd ask here before I toss it up on the buy sell

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 7:09 Quote
nprace wrote:
Shock setup.
The shock is the Float X2 set at 165psi with 5 volume reducers, 1/2 closed low speed compression, 1-3 clicks closed (from fully open) high speed compression, 5-8 clicks closed high speed rebound and 2-4 clicks closed low speed rebound. Initially I had real trouble with the shock setup: to get the smoothness on the high speed chatter I had run a low a pressure (>35% sag) and open compression but then I would blow through the travel very fast and regularly hit the pedals on bigger slower maneuvers. Adding the full stack of 5 volume reducers has increased the progressivity preventing bottom outs and allowing a reduced air pressure and open HSC to improve chatter performance. Further, the progressivity and half closed LSC lends a nice pedalling and pumping platform and keeps the bike from wallowing in technical slower passages. The slow HSR has been nice to keep traction on the chatter and a fast LSR has again supported pedalling and pumping - it is not to jumpy on slow speed maneuvers because those are from their nature farslower.

Observations and impressions
- The bike pedals well but not dramatically better than my previous aluminium Capra 27.5 or even more previous Rocky Slayer. Put another way, the variation in climbing performance has a LOT more to do with my fitness on a given day than with anything bike related. As such I have to say that I excessively weighted the climbing properties of the bike. In the alps you anyway only climb roads and then push or carry up single trails, so a not too heavy downhill killer with any modern pedalling platform would have in hindsight been a better choice.
- The reach with L is 455mm and I have a 50mm stem which is fine, but in hindsight a bit more would be better.
- The standover is ok, but you do notice the bike is there on janky trails or when you get loose. More stand-over would be better.
- I’m not sure that 29” is the right wheel size for me because I do get hit in the butt regularly and the bike feels noticeably higher than the 27.5” capra making cornering more challenging.
- The Float X2 air port gets snagged in my knee guards at least once a ride… super annoying, but has not been dangerous as yet. I haven’t realized a cover for this, but I’m working on it. Look out for this with these shocks on any bike.
- The frame protection on the drive side chainstay is too short towards the cranks and the paint has been stipped off there. I have since covered it with an old tube which due to the accessibility and form was quite hard.
- The derailleur hanger is terrible and breaks constantly. I have moved on to one from pilo which is better (see previous threads)
- The EX1501 rear wheel experienced thus far 4 spoke failures in two years which is far too high… besides one spoke rip due to the derailleur hanger breaking mid run I don’t know why.

Maybe this helps someone. Best
N

Interesting. At exactly the same weight I run 195psi on the x2 and a lot less LSC, also only 3 volume reducers. I do use the full travel regularly. I would probably benefit from additional volume reducer but am too lazy to do it. Also I am afraid that I will suffer from lack of midstroke support and need more LSC.

About the ascending - I believe that additional 15 -30 psi in the shock would have fixed it.

What is so unusual with a broken spoke? Isn't this a simple indication that time was well spent? :-D

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 23:12 Quote
Hello everyone, my friend has a problem with the warranty on the Orbea Rallon.
He found a crack on the downtube under the rubber frame protection.
He sent Orbea pictures of the damage and they replied:
"WHAT THE PIC IS SHOWING IS A CLEAR HIT ON THE DOWN TUBE, ITS NOT A MATERIAL FAULT SO WE CAN NOT HANDLE IT AS A WARRATNY ISSUE"

Please look at the pictures and give your opinion on the situation.
In my opinion, it is unacceptable for Orbea to reject a complaint based on one picture and without direct contact with the customer. The pictures were sent first to the store where the bike was purchased and then forwarded to Orbea.

A friend has never been to a bike park on a bike, rides local trails with soil and roots without a lot of rocks.
From the pictures you can see on the downtube protection there are no traces of bumps or cuts that would surely remain from the bump into the stone as claimed by the manufacturer.

Rallon is from 2018 and then they had thin, rubber downtube protector.

My explanation to a friend that a small branch got stuck between the protector and the ground and he simply planted the frame on the branch as he crossed over.

In my opinion, this is the fault of the manufacturer and the poor design of the downtube protector, which damaged the expensive frame because it is not smooth and hard, this came out wrong :-D.
On newer models, I see that Orbea has changed the design and materials of the downtube protection.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 23:22 Quote
Above the A you can clearly see some marks of an impact? I feel it is a very unlikely place to damage a frame without impact.

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 1:09 Quote
I think that such a small scratch on the protector should not damage the carbon frame so much, after all, the second picture shows that the direction of damage and position do not match.

I think that Orbea's explanation that in the case of any external influence the guarantee is not valid is, to put it mildly, questionable. In this case, it is clear that there were external influences, as with any bike, but certainly not so strong that a crack would appear.

The bike was not inspected at the store where it was purchased because the bike was ordered in a neighboring state in EU. Do you think an examination by an authorized representative for Orbea would help?

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 2:37 Quote
I had the same issue on my aluminum trek slash (without a crack though, only a dent...): impact caused by a rock projection in the exact same spot.
The protection was to thin to prevent the dent. Trek didn't cover the replacement, they only offered me a 20% discount on a new frame. I don't think any brand will cover this kind of damage since, as stated bu orbea, this damage was caused by an impact/crash, and is not a default of the frame (even if the protection is way too thin, I agree with you).
I add a good old piece of tyre under the protection, just in case of a new impact....

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 3:53 Quote
I would try to find a qualified repair shop and get it fixed. Seems like a relatively easy fix when you know what you do. Especially as you don't even have to match the paint down there.
I made a beefier protector for mine when the original fell of after the second ride...

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 11:14 Quote
Whats the point of protector if you have to stick another protector on it?

Bike is a litle bit safe queen, all other places on the bike that are vulnerable to rock hits are protected by thick helitape.
I think there would be no damage to the frame if there was no this rubbery, sticky downtube protector.

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 14:27 Quote
Has anyone already received an R6?

Posted: Nov 5, 2021 at 20:40 Quote
I'm really close to the pulling the trigger on one of these this weekend. I've been back and forth with sizing for a week now and still not sure where to go.
I'm 5'9" on a good day (at least that's why my license says!) and was riding my medium '18 Rocky Mountain altitude for a few years. It was my first modern shred sled/enduro bike. I loved it. Lapped trestle, Angel Fire, even thought about doing an enduro race. I can handle most tech stuff out there comfortably, maybe not the fastest, but I get through it. I believe the reach was around 430/435'ish.

I'm looking at a 2020 s/m Rallon tomorrow that is in great shape, but it's three hours away. All in all it looks pretty similar to my Rocky Mountain with 430 reach but where bikes are now seems so small.

There's a 2021 Rallon in large I also want to look at but it's five hours away. Reach looks more in line with others are doing at 450'ish.

I never felt my previous bike was too small and to be honest, I did appreciate the nimbleness of it through tight sections and felt fine ripping, jumping, etc. But am very curious about how a longer bike will feel. I know the answer is to ride both but could be hard.

Thoughts? I'm dead set on a Rallon but just need to get sizing dialed.

Posted: Nov 18, 2021 at 23:41 Quote
Short update to my preivous post about my setup. Because the bike so good at the lower air pressures I kept pushing my riding and was blowing through my travel consistently... and kept boosting the air pressure and slowing down the HSR consequently. I've settled at 185psi in the shock and 80psi in the fork with another couple of clicks closed HSR from the 1/2 closed I had before. Rides great.
As for the spokes on the EX1501 rear wheel, DT commented that the failure rate is indeed very high and have requested the wheel for inspection... we'll see...

Has anyone changed the rear bearings yet? Any troubles or surprises?
Thanks and have a good winter.
N

Posted: Nov 20, 2021 at 18:55 Quote
Did anyone try to use a dh fork in their orbea rallon?

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 9:49 Quote
nprace wrote:
Short update to my preivous post about my setup. Because the bike so good at the lower air pressures I kept pushing my riding and was blowing through my travel consistently... and kept boosting the air pressure and slowing down the HSR consequently. I've settled at 185psi in the shock and 80psi in the fork with another couple of clicks closed HSR from the 1/2 closed I had before. Rides great.
As for the spokes on the EX1501 rear wheel, DT commented that the failure rate is indeed very high and have requested the wheel for inspection... we'll see...

Has anyone changed the rear bearings yet? Any troubles or surprises?

Thanks and have a good winter.
N

Changed the bearings at the rear axle/split pivot. Used a threaded M8 rod and some 3d printed bearing cups and was really easy. I think in the end it wasn't the bearings that were blown, but just some grime in the washer/bushing that takes the axial load between chain stay and seat stay.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 13:04 Quote
jorgeluisdh wrote:

Dont do it. It is foolish to use dual-crown fork where only SC is allowed.
Also why bother with DC if there are Lyrik and 38?

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 0:19 Quote
sxy-slo wrote:
jorgeluisdh wrote:

Dont do it. It is foolish to use dual-crown fork where only SC is allowed.
Also why bother with DC if there are Lyrik and 38?
Well, atc is significantly lower for a dual crown compared to a 38 or zeb, which would result in less significant geo change.

I would however not do it, as i don't think the rallon has the sides of the frame where the stanchion tubes impact reinforced for this sort of impact.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008359
Mobile Version of Website