Creaky CSU's (crown steerer unit)

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Creaky CSU's (crown steerer unit)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 15, 2017 at 8:32 Quote
Anyone been having these problems with long single crown forks & Creaky CSU's ? I have been reading a lot of brand all have the same issue. Some people say to use green loctite to fix the creak which is not ideal. Are there any brands that don't really have this issue?

Really annoying sending off forks ever few months under warranty!

so far had
2x 2015 mazzochi 350cr
1x 2017 Manitou Mattoc pro 2 to be comfirmed under warranty.

Posted: Oct 15, 2017 at 13:06 Quote
Torque Wrench-only on the stem?

If not, there ya' go.

Posted: Oct 16, 2017 at 7:45 Quote
OnionRing wrote:
Torque Wrench-only on the stem?

If not, there ya' go.

Yep torque wrench on stem, not sure how that would casue a creaky crown-steerer unit? Like i said there seem to be a lot of brands all having the same issue where the bond to the steerer unit breaks down and you then get an annoying creak over time.

Posted: Oct 16, 2017 at 14:58 Quote
Seen it on RockShox and Fox myself

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 8:07 Quote
It's the problem of having that much leverage on a single contact point. Not sure there's a ton that can be done. Are you running an over forked set up by chance? That would likely increase leverage even more since the head angle isn't what it was originally designed for.

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 10:47 Quote
lyfcycles wrote:
It's the problem of having that much leverage on a single contact point. Not sure there's a ton that can be done. Are you running an over forked set up by chance? That would likely increase leverage even more since the head angle isn't what it was originally designed for.

Not sure what you mean to by over forked. 160 mm on a ragley blue pig frame HT.Head angle is slack. so yeah it seem to casue the problem quicker compared to a friends set of forks which lasted a year before he had the problem as well.

Posted: Oct 20, 2017 at 19:07 Quote
I mean a fork swapped out for longer than stock travel.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.011627
Mobile Version of Website