Adjusting Region/Approving Content

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Adjusting Region/Approving Content
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 16, 2017 at 12:56 Quote
I have added a Region (Utrechtse Heuvelrug) and some trails and POI's. However, I am unable to link the trails to the region. I think because I have made the region too small. Unfortunately I cant edit the region, probably because the content is not approved yet?

As a suggestion for the future. I have more trails etc to add. But seeing all the (not-approved-yet) content I have added already would make adding new stuff a lot easier since it gives a reference. It seems useful to me if the contributor can see his/her pending content while it is pending.

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Oct 16, 2017 at 23:05 Quote
It's a bit hard technically, but it's on my long todo list.

BTW both the trails you submitted appear not to be trails but "routes". Are you aware of the difference with regards to how Trailforks maps?

https://www.trailforks.com/confirm/view/trail/93203/

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 3:47 Quote
Thanks!

And yes, I am aware. Here in Holland most of the xc-trails/tracks are circular, otherwise we get lost Wink . However there are certain routes to link multiple trails. I will add them as soon as I have all trails added.

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 17:05 Quote
Maybe biking in Netherlands is just so different than from what were used too. Your pending "Amerongen" trail really seems like a "route". It seems to go along many trails, many intersections, even roads?

photo

The yellow lines is where Trailforks users are riding.

It seems like on OpenStreetMap many of the interconnecting paths are mapped separately.

photo

But you as a local know better what is the norm, we just don't want any "trails" overlapping.

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 17:22 Quote
So I approved your trails and they are indeed overlapping and seems more like routes than individual trails.

Here is how I would normally map such a network.

photo

Here is an example of a well mapped our urban trail network.
https://www.trailforks.com/region/casa-de-campo/

It's useful to make each trail separately, then data is calculated for each segment rather than the entire loop as you have it now. So when adding a trail report, can be more granular as to which section there is an issue. Or for ridelog stats, separate data for each section, including the popularity mapping. Right now for a "check-in" to be counted someone would have to ride that entire blue loop exactly as shown, maybe they go off on one of those ride trails and they won't be counted. But if its all mapped separate then each trail segment can be counted.

Example: (red more ridden, green less)

photo

If this network was all mapped as big loops, the entire area would probably just show green.

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 12:09 Quote
Thanks again!

I understand what you mean. I am afraid that cutting them up will confuse a lot of people. I get the Case-de-Campo idea. They seem to be build as a maze where you can choose your own way through. Most of our routes are build circular with some links in between. However, I have adjusted the Hoge Ginkel, so the overlap is gone, that is most logical for the region.

The heatmap you show is interesting. All the roads/paths/trails on OSM are either boring double-tracks or hiking-only-biking-prohibited trails. Except for the trails I have added. They are all 98% singletrail, biking only.

I hope it works like this for you?

Posted: Oct 21, 2017 at 0:48 Quote
Sorry to but in...... (Not really)

I think the point is that Trails are meant to be a logical section of 'riding' and a Route (which you are suggesting is what people want to ride) is a collection of Trails linked together with perhaps roads to make up what someone may go for a ride on for the day, or a couple of hours say.

If I dare use a Road Cycling analogy, Stage 15 of the Tour De France is a Route. It consists of a few urban roads for a few Km then goes on the Croix De Fer Trail, uses an Access Trail onto The Telegraph Trail, again an Access Trail to Alpe D'Huez Trail, returning via various Trails and Access Trails and roads to the Start.

If that Stage was to be 'known' as an 'Trail' and not a 'Route' then any future changes forced by a new Motorway being built etc. would involve the whole thing being redundant and the Trail Report would have to say "Trail Closed". If designed as a collection of Trails then collated into a Route, then you could 'Close' the relevant Trail and forget it, while still being able to adjust the Route by inserting a new Trail which uses an underpass.

So if the Stage 15 (which is a Route) has rockfall on the Alpe D'Huez Trail, close the Trail and change the Route (Stage) to give continuity.

I hope this makes sense, but please excuse my lack of geographic knowledge of the Climbs of France. And just a thought? No one remembers the Routes (Stages) of the Tour De France, but everyone remembers the classic Trails (er, sorry, Climbs).

Best Wishes

Claire

Posted: Jul 23, 2018 at 9:17 Quote
Hi
I am the Admin for Haughmond Hill which comes under, for historical reasons, the Eastridge Trail Partnership as the 'overseeing and donation' authority. My area, Haughmond Hill, is about to have its own 'Partnership' with the Forestry Commission and we would like to have the ability to have Karma donations to us to help with equipment etc.

How do we go about 'seceding' from Eastridge and setting up our own facility?

Best Wishes

Claire

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 at 2:06 Quote
Cyclingclaire wrote:
Hi
I am the Admin for Haughmond Hill which comes under, for historical reasons, the Eastridge Trail Partnership as the 'overseeing and donation' authority. My area, Haughmond Hill, is about to have its own 'Partnership' with the Forestry Commission and we would like to have the ability to have Karma donations to us to help with equipment etc.

Best Wishes

Claire

You should first submit a directory listing for the new association, including the paypal info. Once that is setup & approved. The region can be edited to override the trail association with the new one. For help with this best to contact Brent at brent@pinkbike.com

Posted: Jul 30, 2018 at 5:20 Quote
canadaka wrote:
Cyclingclaire wrote:
Hi

Best Wishes

Claire

You should first submit a directory listing for the new association, including the paypal info. Once that is setup & approved. The region can be edited to override the trail association with the new one. For help with this best to contact Brent at brent@pinkbike.com

Thanks for this, I'll get on it!

Posted: Jan 5, 2019 at 13:13 Quote
Hi,
I'm the Admin for HAUGHMOND HILL in the UK. I've just had a notification that a new trail had been inserted into Haughmond Hill.

On checking this, I found that one of our trails had been cut short and a new one inserted. This was done by markholloway who appears to be one of the administratiors of trailforks as his location is in Canada.

There is a special reason for this trail to be as it is. It leads from one of the main access points to the Hill directly to the main viewpoint and is the easiest trail of all and suitable for everyone. The Blue Clockwise trail that was interfered with is the main 'cycling' route and follows a waymarked (in blue as it happens) trail around most of the hill visiting many of the main features. It is graded Blue (UK Forestry Commission grading) because of off camber roots, and one or two tricky features.

By messing around with these trails it stops prospective riders from getting an overall view and
an overall elevation etc. They cross, but that is because they cross in physical reality.

If there is a technical reason for this remote altering of trails, a courtesy email to the Admin for the Riding Area may reveal the perfectly good reasoning for the trail layout as it stands.

I have returned the trail structure to how it was previously, I only realised it was 'markholloway' later when checking revisions.

I hope this is the correct section of the forum for this message. If not, could it placed in the right one and let me know so I can keep track of any replies, please?

Best Wishes

Claire

Admin Haughmond Hill Riding Area

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 13:52 Quote
It appears the trails have been edited now so that there is no overlaps and the Blue Clockwise trail remains.

We really don't want trails overlapping, it messes up our ride routing and looks messy.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011891
Mobile Version of Website