Smashed my E13 TRS Race Carbon Cranks: what to do now?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Smashed my E13 TRS Race Carbon Cranks: what to do now?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 12:55 Quote
Hi Guys,

I bought a YT Capra CF PRO Race which comes with all kinds of goodies from e13.
I'm really enjoying the bike and all e13 stuff (love the wheels by the way).

Unfortunately for me, on my second ride, I've smashed my left crank on a big rock that I couldn't avoid. Well, I'm not used to this carbon stuff so i would like to have your opinion on this, based on the photos I'm sending....

Can you please advise me if It's ready to keep rocking or should I get others......... Frown

Please note that the cranks are Dusty, there's only one big dent...
There’s also a youtube movie which shows my smash on the rock at 4m58sec.

https://youtu.be/HaVhUJPcpRU

Best regards
Miguel

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 14:27 Quote
I suppose it depends on if you are a big send kind of rider. If you are.... put some AL cranks on there and call it a day.

If you aren't then....
I'm no expert on carbon cranks, but that doesn't look terrible. Just a good whack on the fiber. To prevent it from getting worse, however, if it were me, I would get some 2 part epoxy and put a thin bead on the exposed fibers to prevent any further fraying or intrusion from water, mud, etc.Let it sit for 24 hours and then ride it.

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 14:50 Quote
Poulsbojohnny wrote:
I suppose it depends on if you are a big send kind of rider. If you are.... put some AL cranks on there and call it a day.

If you aren't then....
I'm no expert on carbon cranks, but that doesn't look terrible. Just a good whack on the fiber. To prevent it from getting worse, however, if it were me, I would get some 2 part epoxy and put a thin bead on the exposed fibers to prevent any further fraying or intrusion from water, mud, etc.Let it sit for 24 hours and then ride it.

I second this. good call on the two part epoxy, which you can likely just get at the hardware store. if they break any further though, it's not worth trying to fix them. most carbon repair companies won't bother with components, so better to just go with alu

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 15:50 Quote
What do you mean as a big sender? Let’s imagine ews kind of trails.... not the vallnord dh wc trak...
Thanks for the replies. The US e13 support told me to forget about it, that it’s just a scar. I’m just looking for a second opinion.

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 23:29 Quote
Ouch! Just a flesh wound though so I’d keep riding them until they die. My old XX1 cranks are looking pretty beat up these days with plenty of scrapes and chunks missing, but it doesn’t worry me.

Posted: Oct 19, 2017 at 3:27 Quote
Thanks a lot guys, I think that i'll protect them with some kind of nail varnish and i'll keep rocking with them.

Posted: Oct 20, 2017 at 4:24 Quote
I'd seal it up and keep riding it.

Posted: Oct 20, 2017 at 6:49 Quote
Send it, carbon isn't near as fragile as people think it is...

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 20, 2017 at 13:11 Quote
Similar ding on my Race Face SixC cranks at the start of this summer and no problem riding them since... and I am a big dude. I would take E13's word on it.

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 at 4:13 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Similar ding on my Race Face SixC cranks at the start of this summer and no problem riding them since... and I am a big dude. I would take E13's word on it.

Hey Gramboh, did you waterproof it in any way? e13 doesn't look worried about that but other people told me to put nail varnish....... What do you guys think a about this?

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 at 4:53 Quote
MiguelOsorioGomes wrote:
gramboh wrote:

Hey Gramboh, did you waterproof it in any way? e13 doesn't look worried about that but other people told me to put nail varnish....... What do you guys think a about this?

I’d put a little varnish or epoxy over it, for sure.

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 at 7:16 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
MiguelOsorioGomes wrote:
gramboh wrote:

Epoxy wasn't recomended to me because it doesn't allow you to see if there's any crack developing...

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 at 9:19 Quote
MiguelOsorioGomes wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
MiguelOsorioGomes wrote:

Epoxy wasn't recomended to me because it doesn't allow you to see if there's any crack developing...

Que estranha

I’d think you could see right through a thin layer of epoxy.

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 at 19:33 Quote
Don't be a pussy, just ride it.

Bikes are meant to have scars.

Posted: Oct 25, 2017 at 3:28 Quote
onemind123 wrote:
Don't be a pussy, just ride it.

Bikes are meant to have scars.

Totally right you are. But, as I'm new to carbon.....and I've already have a scar done by an aluminum crank on my leg after breaking in half.... I needed to ask!
Off course that 15 years ago everything was different....

Smile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014905
Mobile Version of Website