5010 v2 upgrade shock to Monarch Rt3?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
5010 v2 upgrade shock to Monarch Rt3?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2017 at 0:00 Quote
Hi guys
I have a v2 5010 C with the Fox Float Evol Dps performance shock.
I have opened the shock and it already has a big fat volume spacer.

I weigh around 85 kg with gear and run around 190 psi in order to get the shock somewhat responsive but it then tends to blow through travel too easily. Doesn't bottom harshly due to the spacer though. If I up the pressure I then tend to not get full travel and a bouncy back end.

So I was considering a new shock. All my riding is single track technical stuff pedalling up and down, no long downhills max maybe up to a minute so I think a piggyback would be overkill.

I have looked at the Monarch RT3 Debonair shock in LL tune which is what Santa Cruz recommend and fit on the Hightower for example.

Anyone have experience from the Monarch on a 5010? Is it going to be an upgrade or pretty much like the Fox?
Cane Creek seems popular but I prefer simple to set up suspension and not too many dials Smile

Posted: Oct 29, 2017 at 2:03 Quote
Hi, I scored a new take off Monarch RT3 off of a Hightower 200x51 same as ours with L,L tune. I like the feel once you've figured out the balance of how many volume reducer bands you need and psi.

I'm 175 lbs not super gnarly rider.
4 volume reducers
185 psi
It's a great trail/am mid travel shock.
I plan on trying the plus version next year for comparison.
Good luck mate!

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2017 at 10:55 Quote
Cheers!
I spoke to J Tech Suspension about tuning the DPS and the DPS vs Monarch and they said basically same same if tuned.
Recently got a Dvo Diamond fork so I keep finding myself drooling at the Topaz...a bit more then I'd like to spend but sooo sexy.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007605
Mobile Version of Website