Commencal 2018 HT AM

PB Forum :: Commencal
Commencal 2018 HT AM
Posted: May 30, 2018 at 13:23 Quote
I just got my bike last week and am beyond happy with it. The Yari is way better than any fork I have ridden previously and its a seriously fast bike.

Posted: Jun 1, 2018 at 0:53 Quote
bsampsonian wrote:
I just got my bike last week and am beyond happy with it. The Yari is way better than any fork I have ridden previously and its a seriously fast bike.

Nice dude im seriously thinking gettibg one. Hows is it at climbing as like it to go then down :p. yeah looks like a fast bike.

Posted: Jun 1, 2018 at 15:48 Quote
What size frame? How big are you and how do you feel about the fit?
Yes, pease let me us know about your impressions on climbing with it.

I haven't decided on anything yet but there is another contender.
Talk me out of this Nukeproof...
http://nukeproof.com/products/scout-275-comp/
Now I'm really torn. Not much downside to that Scout. The Yari is marginally better but the rest of the kit, gotta hand it to the Nukeproof.

Posted: Jun 7, 2018 at 15:27 Quote
I am 6'1 and I got a large, but I have really long legs and a short torso so I am not the best person to compare fits with. Climbing is not amazing, my friend has a lightweight 29er and its tough to keep up. There is a lot of weight on the bike. Set up tubeless and am riding it today, that def took off some pounds.

The way down though? there is NO comparison, I absolutely should not be riding as fast or aggressively as I am, it is doing all the work for me. In some of the sections we were riding last weekend my friends were having to pick their way through things that I just pointed straight and nuked over. I got to swap rides with my buddy on a salsa timberjack, and the commencal was twitchier in its handling, not as smooth in the turns, but the straight line speed, fork response, and overall downhill experience was way better. Also as mentioned the gunmetal color is gorgeous!

Posted: Jun 9, 2018 at 8:13 Quote
Wow! Congratulations on the new bike. That thing is beautiful!
I'm really torn now between this and a Nukeproof Scout275 Comp.
The Commencal wins the sexiness award and has a slightly "better" (stiffer) fork.
The thing I can't settle in my mind is if the rest of the kit is as good as the Nukeproof's Shimano gear, clutch rear der, and the dropper post which is an big bonus.
I've ridden a Timberjack with NX kit (rental) once and cannot complain, but I've never lived with it long term (the SRAM kit not the Timberjack). Shifting was good but not super silky. The Level brakes were okay but I felt modulation could be better.
I'm very far from expert however and these things are all subjective.
How do you feel about the rest of the kit? I'd have to imagine that those large rotors lend themselves to good modulation.
Also, about climbing; weight is the main issue you talk about. How about stability? Taking weight out of the equation, does it track straight and have plenty of traction?

How about pedal strikes? Do you feel this is high enough? This is another area that IMO the Commencal has over than the Nuke. The BB height.

Sorry for so many questions, and thank you for the photos and your input.
This is a tough decision.

Posted: Jun 12, 2018 at 6:58 Quote
wonkersloot wrote:
Upgraded drivetrain to XT/XTR, Tioga Spyder Outland, CaneCreek headset etc. Loving this bike for all riding types.

Curious - did you start off with one the Commencal build, and then upgrade. Or did you originally build from a frame?

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 0:47 Quote
JaxMustang50 wrote:
Wow! Congratulations on the new bike. That thing is beautiful!
I'm really torn now between this and a Nukeproof Scout275 Comp.
The Commencal wins the sexiness award and has a slightly "better" (stiffer) fork.

Honnestly, the Commencal will be a bit better when we speak about fork. Nukeprook have a Rockshox Revelation RC 140mm, when the Commencal is equipped with a Yari.

Check this product matrix:

The Yari will be better for all-moutain/light enduro. At 1600€, it's a great deal. Keep your money to update later this bike.

@OP: how about paint? I heard it was not so great after few months, especially if you fall. What's your opinion? Is it possible to have a close-up of the color?

By the way, your picture are gorgeous!

Posted: Jul 21, 2018 at 14:06 Quote
Hey guys, joined the ht club last week. Added it to the am v4 i already have.
The ht has blown me away. So much so that after 2 weeks I'm seriously considering selling my v4.
The ht handles so well, pedals so well, jumps so well and just inspires you to send every root, lip and gap you can see.
I'm going to have to do something about the tyres though. I made the back one tubeless straight away and left the tube in the front but in the last 2 spins I've had 2 punctures on the back.
I've had it down 'national downhill' here in Rotorua, and although I was slower than on my enduro bike I wasn't much slower, but I was only on my second spin on the bike.
The thing kicks the crap out of any steel hardtail I've ridden and kicks the crap out of me on cased root gaps etc. But the main thing I'm back to just absolutely loving getting out and ripping around on the trails.
It pedals amazingly on hills compared to my meta v4 and is level or very close to level on the downs, no matter how gnarly they are.
All I'm saying is, if your finger is hovering over the 'pay now' button on commencals website, just hit it. You won't be sorry. This bike rips.
Don't be scared off by the brakes/drivetrain. I've saint brakes and xtr drive on my v4 and while the nx drive and level brakes arent as good i havent once yet thought that I would be bothered swapping them over.
The bike just brings back what biking was for me when I started out, just getting out and having some fun.
Budget for a dropper post though. You don't realise how much you need one til you don't have one any more.

Posted: Sep 22, 2018 at 11:56 Quote
Anyone running one as a 29er ? Interested too see what is the biggest tyre it can take. Ideally after a 2.4 dhr2.

Posted: Dec 22, 2018 at 15:23 Quote
RockNRolla92 wrote:
Anyone running one as a 29er ? Interested too see what is the biggest tyre it can take. Ideally after a 2.4 dhr2.
Yes fits a 2.4 with about 6mm to spare either side

Posted: Dec 30, 2018 at 0:52 Quote

Loving this thing. Always struggle to decide between taking this out or taking my meta v4 out

Posted: Dec 30, 2018 at 1:01 Quote
dh1stan wrote:

Loving this thing. Always struggle to decide between taking this out or taking my meta v4 out

Nice..Is that a 160 mm Yari on there..?

Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 13:31 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
dh1stan wrote:

Nice..Is that a 160 mm Yari on there..?

Yep. Gonna get a debonair spring for it and a custom stack in the damper when it goes in for the next service. Damping is noticeably not as good as my lyrik.

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 at 6:49 Quote
Anyone know what the bottom bracket height is? Really considering the essential because it seems to be a bit higher than the SC chameleon or the salsa TJ; also someone mentioned twitchy handling, how so?

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 12:23 Quote
Also, wondering how this bike would be for a newer (6’4”) rider?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029028
Mobile Version of Website