Fork initial stroke too stiff Help!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fork initial stroke too stiff Help!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 23, 2017 at 4:22 Quote
Hi,
I own a rockshox lyrik rc solo air, Sag and pressure is correct, bottoms out rarely. What I'm unhappy with is that the fork only takes half the impact if I ride over small bumps, its like it needs a moment before it starts compressing. Compression damping is fully open. What can I do to make it compress faster? The fork is new!!!

Pls help!!!

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 at 7:34 Quote
MountainGoatLover wrote:
Hi,
I own a rockshox lyrik rc solo air, Sag and pressure is correct, bottoms out rarely. What I'm unhappy with is that the fork only takes half the impact if I ride over small bumps, its like it needs a moment before it starts compressing. Compression damping is fully open. What can I do to make it compress faster?

Pls help!!!

Clean your seals (or if it's time, replace), put some slick honey on it, max out your volume spacers, reduce air pressure a tiny bit. Only thing I can think of

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 at 12:58 Quote
Sounds like you need to do a lowers service

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 at 13:06 Quote
The hole that transfers air from the positive to negative chamber may be blocked,or not positioned correctly.A tear down and service should sort it.

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 at 3:09 Quote
The fork is brand new!!!!!!!

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 at 6:03 Quote
MountainGoatLover wrote:
doesnt mean anything with sram suspension products,thousands of reported issues from new.Why do you think they have such a good warranty procedure!!!!!

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 at 9:15 Quote
MountainGoatLover wrote:
If it's been sitting in a hot warehouse all summer before you bought it the seals will have dried out.

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 at 12:59 Quote
Also a brand new fork can sometimes take a few rides to bed in properly so they might start to improve after a few hours riding.

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 at 17:49 Quote
Sounds like you need a DVO Diamond. Mine is set sooooooo slippery right through the sag zone. Chatter just disappears.

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 at 20:06 Quote
MountainGoatLover wrote:

As much as it should be done at the factory, a lot of forks need to have their bath oil topped up, as its not unknown for them to ship dry (that is, low on bath oil).
Also, there is quite s large thread on mtbr about the harshness of the RC dampers from Rockshox on compression as the are valved fairly stiff on compression. If you are are a lighter weight rider, under 68-70kg, then it will feel a lot worse.

Posted: Oct 25, 2017 at 20:53 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
MountainGoatLover wrote:
doesnt mean anything with sram suspension products,thousands of reported issues from new.Why do you think they have such a good warranty procedure!!!!!

Thousands? Show us

Posted: Oct 25, 2017 at 22:15 Quote
tbartoncv wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
MountainGoatLover wrote:

Thousands? Show us
check the forums,myself petsonally have had 7 issuses with brand new RS suspension,refuse to use any of there suspension products now,too much hassle.RS forks are notorious for not having any oil in the lowers from new.How many reverb issuses have you heard about.

FL
Posted: Oct 26, 2017 at 15:21 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
MountainGoatLover wrote:

In fairness, I just bought a brand new trance with fox suspension and it had no bath oil in it. Not a huge deal for me as I can just do a quick rebuild at work, but basically all new suspension products could perform better after a quick tear down and measuring out the oils precisely. I've got a rythm on that and it doesn't have any stick at all after the work was done.

Posted: Oct 26, 2017 at 20:30 Quote
Kiwiplague wrote:
MountainGoatLover wrote:

As much as it should be done at the factory, a lot of forks need to have their bath oil topped up, as its not unknown for them to ship dry (that is, low on bath oil).
Also, there is quite s large thread on mtbr about the harshness of the RC dampers from Rockshox on compression as the are valved fairly stiff on compression. If you are are a lighter weight rider, under 68-70kg, then it will feel a lot worse.

When you say bath oil, are you referring to the 10ml in the lower legs?

Posted: Oct 26, 2017 at 20:59 Quote
Wenna wrote:
Kiwiplague wrote:
MountainGoatLover wrote:

When you say bath oil, are you referring to the 10ml in the lower legs?

yes, and also the wiper seals should be greased from the factory as well. If they are dry, you'll get a lot of stiction.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011697
Mobile Version of Website